Options

Do you have a crazy boating story?

2»

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Len, that is hilarious!!!  I watched a buddy of mine when we were both kids lasso a heron with a 2oz sinker tied to his line.. He wrapped it on the fourth or fifth attempt.. We were on the banks of a mountain lake that had drained back for flood control during the winter months..

that 'crane' we called them, gave chase.. he ran from that thing like it was Lucifer himself, all the while still attached via pole and line.. it was quite a comedy for me to observe..
  • Options
    l-skynyrdl-skynyrd Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

All I got say is....

Boating is just a wounderful  thing.....

Len

You have to love the water....

Len & Robyn   342 FV  Freebird

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    I just this last weekend pulled a stupid one! It has been SO wet here and the water so high, there have been precious few opportunities for Honey Bunny & I to get out on our 246 that we have had for 8 weeks now. Sunday afternoon we took it down to the local resevoir and proceeded to prepare for launch. I backed down the ramp, then jumped in & started the engine and backed off the trailer. Honey Bunny drove the truck up to park. I could not tie up to the dock because it was occupied by several other boats waiting to pick up passengers or for their trailers or who knows what. Being a very hot day and one of the few we have been able to enjoy on the water, it seems everyone else in Linn and Johnson counties had the same idea and the lake was very crowded. I did lazy circles until Honey Bunny came walking down the ramp and I began to maneuver toward the dock. I got close and then she says, " There's a lot of water coming out of that hole back on the side there. Did you put the drain plug in?" OH S**T!!!! In my haste to get the boat in amongst all the hectic activity around the ramp, uh huh....Thank goodness the bilge pump has auto on. I tossed her a line to hold the boat and I jumped in the drink. Fortunately, the plug is on a tether and I took a deep breath and submerged, located the plug and got it screwed in - oh yeah, I did remember to shut down the engine, or this would be an entirely different story! Any way, plug in, Honey Bunny on board, we depart the dock, and I am left to ponder what all the many witnesses to this event must have been thinking!
  • Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    @Glassguy54 ... they were likely thinking what I would have ... "Been there!"
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Desperate men do desperate things. MOB at the ramp to save the boat. That's crazy cool ;)

Nothing more interesting than the first few busy days at the ramp. The truly well initiated former ramp swimmers keep one clamped to the steering wheel or key switch (like I do) and, like yourself, tied at the drain plug hole.

Don't feel bad. Like Steve said every trailer warrior has his day at the ramp too.....no matter how OCD checklist crazy he is. Glad it wasn't the end of your 8week old boat.  X_X
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
     I reckon everyone has a plug story... I used to have a boat when I was a kid- a 15' cuddy cabin jupiter, and a hand down from pops..

I left it tied to the dock... it had been heavily raining for several days straight, and there was standing water throughout the boat and it rode low in the water.. I managed to get her fired up, and turned on the bilge pump as I was slowly motoring out of my little cove.. I let my buddy take the helm and I reached back between the two 6gallon tanks and behind the battery box to snag the plug.. as we increased speed, and after a few minutes, the boat was cleared...

we got to our fishing hole.. it was a secluded cove w/ shale bottom and tons of downed trees all around it's shoreline.. it dropped dramatically- whereas a distance of five feet from the shoreline you were likely to be in ten feet of water.. I didn't have a depth finder on that rig, I didn't even know what one was at the time, but my 75' ski rope turned anchor rope swung worthlessly above the bottom... So, we would just float in that cove, and motor back to the center when we had to do so..

I was on the stern, my buddy took the bow.. I casted and retrieved many times, and while carrying on a conversation with my buddy- something gave me reason to look toward him, and I realized I was looking uphill.. yup.. I looked at the dash, and there sat the plug... oops..

I got her fired up and the next couple of seconds and jammed the throttle forward... it took a lot longer to drain out this time than it did the first... and this time, I put the plug back in the dang thing before we stopped moving..

that could have been ugly..
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod

If I had a nickel for every boater I saw at the ramp that forgot their plug........

Mark

Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say this is a crazy story but I got baptize at the waste pump out station today :(. I put the hose up to the connection turned on the pump and I guess the seal wasn't good enough and it sprayed all over me. Luckly I had my sunglasses on and the fresh water hose was right next to me so I can rinse off. My wife did get a kick out of it though.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Yummy...............lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    hunterdalehunterdale Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited July 2013

Here's a couple good ramp stories from my fishing days.  Brother and I partner on a Astroglas 16" Fish-n-Ski years ago.  He reads in one of his bass fishing magazines that if you spray the bunks with silicone spray the boat goes on and off the trailer easier.  We launch, he parks and sprays the bunks, we fish all day get our fill and load up.  Now we are good at this launching thing so he backs me in and I pull off, like clock work.  Next time out, we are all loaded, unhooked and backing down the ramp.  Then I notice the boat seems to be going just a bit faster than the truck.  I start yelling faster, he tries but to no avail.  Thud the boat hits the ramp and since he is still coming the bow gets pushed up by the bunks to about 45 degrees in the air.  Now I'm yelling stop!!  YEP that silicone spray works great!!  He pulled up a bit, lowered the bow and was able to get the winch on her.  Backed down the rest of the way teetering on the trailer. 

One other time we were out with friends all weekend.  Same boat.  Tough weekend on the lake.  We saw a boat burn to the waterline mid lake.  Saw another capsize when all aboard tried to get off at once at the dock.  Again we are good at this launching/retrieving thing.  Brother runs up hooks up the trailer, backs down between two others on a 3 lane ramp.  While watching him come down I saw a guy put his boat on the trunk of his car.  Blamed the wife for backing in too far.  While they are working on that I slide by perfectly, brother gets me winched in, I jump off and walk alongside as we go up the ramp.  Right where the ramp breaks I hear a thump, look down and see the hitch come off the ball.  Some how he locked it down ON TOP of the ball not ON the ball.  No chains either.  Well there was this split second where nothing moved.  I grabbed that little cranky thingy with the wheel on it in the front of the trailer.  I had it for just a second and then gravity took over.  I did my best to steer that thing down the ramp past the others loading their boats, barefoot, OUCH!!  Once it made the lake I unhooked the winch strap to let the boat float away.  Brother backed in again, we tied the winch strap to the ball hitch and he pulled up the ramp to reset the trailer.  I swam for the boat.  We did it right the second time that day. 

Funny thing was a friend was talking with the ranger about how rough a weekend it was on the lake when the ranger says look there goes another dumbbutt chasing his boat down the ramp.  A quick OH CRAP and he bolted to give us a hand.   

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good entertainment at public launches!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    i love these stories. people around me at work must think i'm nuts for randomly busting out into laughter all the time...
  • Options
    vquadvquad Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

a few years back I had purchased a brand new regal at the boat show.

the dealer had 2 identical boats in stock...1 with a blue hull and 1 with a red hull,take your pick.

we gave the dealer a deposit on the blue hull and set up a water test for the day after the show ended.

the dealer shows up at the ramp and unhooks the strap and safety chain and proceeds to back down the ramp while my brother and I watched.

As soon as the trailer hit the pitch of the ramp...off flys my new boat all the way down the concrete ramp making the most godawful sound you've ever heard

after the initial shock wore off I yelled to the salesman who was still in shock at what had just taken place...

"I've changed my mind...I want the red one instead"

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG...that's awesome, hilarious and painful at the same time. He must've used Hunters silicone spray on the bunks from the story above.

I thought for sure it was going to be........Regal with no keel and a crunched OD, Nah :-t . I think I want that Navy blue Rinker 270 instead.... and that's the rest of the story.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    vquadvquad Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

you're right tiki

they had sprayed the bunks prior to the show and off she went...

=))

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭

Five years ago we took a trip from our port Gig Harbor to desolation sound Canada.  This is around 200+ miles one direction. Desolation is a great spot in the NW because the water reaches 75-80 degrees (unlike home where it's 40-45 degrees). You are actually at the base of very high mountains with 100's to 1000's of feet of water below your boat.  Actually it's really not that far from Whistler/Blackcomb, so the mountains still have snow.  

So back to the trip, after your reach the North end of the Gulf Islands you reach the Straits of Georgia.  This is a very large body of water.  West is Vancouver Island and East is the City of Vancouver.  It's so big that in the center the horizon is mostly water, maybe a pin of land.  Before you cross, you are to listen to the VHF to see if the Navy exercises are active or not.  If active you must travel along Vancouver Island for many miles before turning East to go up the East side of Texada Island and then North to Desolation.  On the way home the next week, I missed the call on the VHF but noted a large boat about a mile a head of me cutting straight across the Strait.  I figured all was good.  Well about half way into the straight (very little land in sight)  A very small object was approaching me at a very high rate of speed from the sky!  The next thing we knew we had the Canadian Navy Helicopter hovering just off our boat.  One of it's crew held a sign with the VHF number I was to dial to.  On the mic. I heard...(YOU ARE IN RESTRICTED WATERS AND IF YOU DO NOT TURN WE WILL IMPOUND YOUR BOAT!)  Me... (Point your helicopter in the direction I need to travel sir).  And then I proceed to follow until I saw the noted Islands I was to go by originally before I headed South again. 

It may not sound like a big deal in this little story but my heart was in my throat as the guns on his helicopter pointing right at us 100 feet from the water.  Turns out the navy ships that day were shooting torpedo's for war games with the US ships.  Oooops...  And the boat I was following a mile back was one of the smaller navy vessels performing in the games.  Douple Oooops!

• Options

Sensor story for little kids.... 

A few years back my wife, son, in-laws and I took a loop around an Island in our area.  I was cruise just on a plane moving quite slow.  Maybe 20-22.  The water was calm and no breeze.  The weather was around 80 degrees.  We were about 100 feet off shore enjoying the view of the homes and BAM!  I hit something.  It wasn't hard like a rock or a log.  It was like hitting a soft flat tire so more like a big thug! I stopped the boat and we all looked back.  In very slow motion about 25 feet back the water began to boil and foam.  Then the boiling and foaming began to turn red and redder.  HOLY you know what!  I thought to myself.... ...I just ran over a scuba diver!!!  As it was flailing about in dark shiny rubbery skin.  I put the boat in full reverse and everyone is thinking the worst!  The pool of churning red was about 5 feet round and as it began to calm....  My father-in-law yells back to me stop!  It's just a seal!!! 

We all just sat there in shock for another 5 min getting our sorts back as it's amazing what a Dou-Prop can do....

It took me about a week to shake the crappy feeling that lingered.  After a few stories with other boaters, It appears the seal must have been ill or sleeping just on the surface and with it's dark skin matched the color of the water. 

We continued the trip for another hour.  At this point in time we trailered the boat.  When we hauled her out, I checked the props.  Nothing was bent but the short fur was still on the props..... Uug!

• Options
    edited August 2013

The year 1972 and my parents had a 38ft wood boat and my dads buddy had a similar older boat around 40ft.  We cruised with them for many years and the stories that happened should have been in a best seller.  That same year, I was around 8 years old and both boats were cruising at 6 knots in a 1/2 mile wide channel during gale-force winds and high seas.  Not a good place to be if one were to break down.  Well that's what happened to my dads buddy.  See, some how a cotter-pin came out of something and he lost his transmission drive.  No forward or reverse.  So by CB he calls to my dad to stop and that he just needs to retrieve the pin to put it back into place.  The engine hatch is about mid ship in the solon.  The hatch is about 3X4 feet in size.  The buddy is about 2X3X6`2" in size.  Well what happens next goes down in the record books.  He gets stuck!  And his wife CB's my dad...  OMG HELP!!! He is stuck and we are bouncing all over the place and the shore line is zipping by....!!!!!  Now it's gets better.  My dad pulls the dinghy in and he and I jump in leaving my mom to run the boat.  Yeah that's right we get into the dinghy to go save this guy stuck in the bilge during a GALE!.  Some how we get to his boat and manage to get on board in the heavy wind/rain and waves.  We run up to the solon and his @$$ is sticking out of the hatch with one leg in and the other half out and head down!  OMG my dad said, how the heck did you get in like that.  (Apparently, as he was getting in the hatch the boat lunged and he miss stepped and fell in basically head first).  The force of the fall wedge him in tight like a pickle!  There was another hatch smaller next to him so my dad opened it up.  To big for him, Soooo,   I crawled in under him and over the transmission wiggled a bit more over to the broken pin.  He could at least see me and tell me how to put it back in. All I could do was crack up during this entire 10 min process.  In the meantime, my dad is yelling repeatedly we are getting very close to shore hurry the HE$$ up!  OK I GOT IT,  I SAID!!!  I move out of the way of the shaft and into gear she went.  Back up above, my dad handed the wheel to his buddy's wife. Then he and I spent the next 30 min getting him out the hole!  Not to worn or tattered he had only a bump and a scratch and a slight limp for a few days. Needless to say, when we got to our destination, my dad and is buddy finish an entire fifth of scotch! And I got a great boating memory that my mom and I still get to share! Bless her 89 year old heart!

LG

Post edited by Lifes Good on
  • Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    I've got a good one. My family used to rent houseboats on Laurel Lake in KY when I was a teenager. This was right when the first jetski's were being sold. On this particular trip, my older brother had arrived a day earlier than me and had rented a jetski from the marina but had already returned it. Man, I wanted in on that action. So I got a ride back to the marina and made sure to tell the guy who was renting me the jetski to make sure and explain how it worked. Tied to the dock by the handlebar was a Yamaha Jetski. All the guy did was get on it and say "Full tank of gas. Have fun." Then he walked off. I tried to tell him I'd never ridden one before but he just kept going. Now, how hard could it be to figure out? Probably worked a lot like a motorcycle, right? So I get on it. Look around. No gearshift that I could see but I found the clutch on the right handlebar. So I decided to pull in the clutch and go ahead and start it so it could warm up. Now, I was right in front of the gas pumps and right outside the marina store and there was a crowd......including a group of young ladies on a pontoon. When I pulled in the clutch (actually the throttle) and hit that big green start button.......she took off like a bucking bronco........the rope caught the handlebar......and I was sent flipping and sliding over the water. When I surfaced, the girls on the pontoon were laughing so hard that one of them actually threw up!. Being the big bad teenager, I swam to the dock and after too many attempts, I could not pull myself up! More laughter. I had to swim around to the boat ramp on the other side. I was not going to walk back to the gas pumps just yet........so I hid behind the marina store for about 20 minutes until that pontoon boat left!! Did ok after that.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's