Options

Security Measures on Boat

2»

Comments

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    I use a preloved iPhone with an app that not only streams video to my phone but has a decent basic video motion detection to send an alert, record video and send to me and/or cloud. I have a security background and know it's limitations but its a little peace of mind. Plus I get to see what the weather is at the marina.
    Sounds interesting... can you share a bit more on how you do it? What app and how to set it up? thanks!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's kind of what I was thinking with the camera thing. It can be set for motion sensing and if somebody does get on the boat, it would take a snap and sent it to me. But most of the time it would be to sneak peaks of the marina and boat while at work. :D   Luckily, the marina is only 10 minutes away, so I can sneak over there just about any day.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    I use a preloved iPhone with an app that not only streams video to my phone but has a decent basic video motion detection to send an alert, record video and send to me and/or cloud. I have a security background and know it's limitations but its a little peace of mind. Plus I get to see what the weather is at the marina.
    Sounds interesting... can you share a bit more on how you do it? What app and how to set it up? thanks!
    The app on the Apple store called AtHome and and installed on my phone and iPad for viewing, the partner app for the camera end to send video is called AVS. Like most apps has a free portion with paid upgrades for extra devices and storage. Simple to set up, needs a data connection, I use local wifi but I think cell data is possible also. I have it in a mount and plugged in to an ice cube to keep it on. The display can be dimmed so it's not obvious and you can view the camera, turn on the light, put into a night mode etc from remote.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    icoultha said:
    The app on the Apple store called AtHome and and installed on my phone and iPad for viewing, the partner app for the camera end to send video is called AVS. Like most apps has a free portion with paid upgrades for extra devices and storage. Simple to set up, needs a data connection, I use local wifi but I think cell data is possible also. I have it in a mount and plugged in to an ice cube to keep it on. The display can be dimmed so it's not obvious and you can view the camera, turn on the light, put into a night mode etc from remote.
    I used that for years with a cell connection, got too expensive though. What kind of wifi are you using? The only wifi available for me would be the local cable hotspot, which requires a login, not sure if @home does that.. 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I use the marina connection but I have a router on the boat that authenticated to it and devices on boat on the local network. Since the iPhone can connect to the router or the marina AP, either works. It's not high bandwidth use and only when viewed.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All this brings up the question? has anyone ever had there boat entered and stuff missing/removed or compromised? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    randy56 said:
    All this brings up the question? has anyone ever had there boat entered and stuff missing/removed or compromised? 

A dock neighbor (when I had my 310) had his boat/dinghy messed with.  The people were actually caught in the dinghy just after removing from boat.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I had my houseboat, in a covered slip, the front porch was 14 x 14 and we had a gas grill on the front of the boat, after being away for a few weeks someone stole the propane tank. Only problem I ever had. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    JstewJstew Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    These are good for keeping keys away from people you don't want to have them, while still being able to give the combination to people who are supposed to be on the boat.