Options

well, found my leak

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
After am exhausting search I finally found my leak. I'm off for a week while changing jobs (after 21 years!) and have been playing with the boat to find the leak. Seemed it would come and go which is mot the nature of the leak. I would say however, it did get worse making me track it down. Previous thread had all my attempts. Left the boat at the marina and brought down the shop vac and dried it all out. Turned the a/c off, took forever to get the pan drained and at the moment, did not seem to be filling do I checked the pan and surrounding it for any issues and found none. So, back to looking at hoses and bellows. I went ahead and kicked the out drive up and when I did that, pretty obvious it was the bellows- drive down it compressed and did mot leak much, drive up it leaked more.... So, million dollar question on a bravo 3, how much is parts and how much is labor? Something I should attempt myself? How heavy is the out drive? Is it a simple pull back/ remove and install? Can't believe I just said that..

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Well, it's great you kept after it to find it!  A leak in the bellows can certainly sink a boat.  As far as doing it yourself, you'd really need to create something to handle the weight when pulling off the drive.  B-3s are heavy!  Several people on here have shown things they've made, which would work well.  While you (or someone else) is in there, you should at a minimum change out the other bellow.  Not a tough job, but something that you need to get back on correctly.  I do most work myself, but when it comes to the drives or pulling out an engine, I leave it to the experts.  But, with a trailer boat, being able to take it home to do it makes that one I'd have to think about.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought you just had all that done
  • Options
    Nope, been chasing it. Pretty disappointed with the guy that did the coupler, should have been obvious there was a problem I'd think with the drive off...and a cheaper repair!
  • Options
    Thats what I was talking about. You had the whole drive off and didnt do the bellows? What?
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    About $200 for bellows kit,that includes the gimbal bearing that you do need to replace.once wet it needs to come out.Took me about 3 hours per side (good for you you have 1)I made at 2x4 rack same height as the drive and I just slide it out.you do need some special tools.
    Hinge pin tool
    Puller for gimble 
    Engine aliment tool
    3" pvc pipe to drive seal in

2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Drive is about 195lbs
  • Options
    @Handymans342 I expected them to recommend that and before I knew it, they were done....so...will be checking around for pricing @reneechris14 as it sounds like I can cause more problems than I'm trying to fix...crapola
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While you are doing it, change the shift cable boot as well. That will be the next one to go.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I might think about it...from what I seem to deal with as far as shops might do a better job myself...so if I pay someone to do it, what is that labor cost and thankful again I have one motor...that was the plan!
  • Options
    Yes many 4 letter words and some blood.
    I would think 1/2 a boat buck.
  • Options
    Is that total or 500 plus200 parts?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    @Cableguy Greg from what I'm seeing leaking, don't know that I could tell which is leaking but assume the kit @reneechris14 mentions has everything bellows wise for the repair...
  • Options
    Didn't the guy that did the coupler replace the gimble bearing? I thought you said that he did. I could be wrong... If it was me, I would let a shop do it. They are going to have the tools to do it correctly and if it isn't done correctly, you have someone to go back to. The last thing that I would want to do is pull the drive, replace the boots, put the drive back on and find out that it is still leaking and have to start all over again. I know it sucks paying someone to do a job that you could probably do yourself.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Yep @Cableguy Greg I will check around- there are plenty of shops around my area and no, coupler repair was just that...some I'm looking at pretty close to a boat buck for the repair. Will be starting a new jib(commission) so probably will have to get my feet on the ground before I can part with a boat buck...sigh.....
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the silver lining is you know what you need to fix now.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I have been fighting this for some time....but never had the opportunity to leave it in the water like I did today s yes, glad I found it but dread the admiral hitting me over the head with it...
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    So @reneechris14 ...i watched some you tubes and now I'm an expert! probably the main thing that would concern me is the engine alignment....now the coupler was just done and ASSUME engine was aligned...if so would it still be required because the out drive came off? Did not see on you tube the hinge pin but assume that is the pivot point for the out drive...if the motor has to be aligned, I assume you have to be able to move the motor....how do I do that in the front yard and how much is that tool? And hinge pin tool? I'm gettin fired up if I think I can do it. I have a motorcycle jack stand and thinking I can make something with that...
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did the engine alignment on my older boat.. it was an awful job. :( 
  • Options
    More you tube required...
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    You don't need to do alignment 
    are u just replacing all the rubbers? Shift cable

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    My biggest challenge was setting that stupid metal compression ring on the unjoint bellow. Life will be easier with the right tool. I built a drive stand out of some old lumber and cheap casters. Works like a charm. Hopefully your water pickup hose is in good shape because that thing is a pita to change. Removing the bell housing gives better access to get your hands in there. It may help on your first attempt versus leaving it in place. 
  • Options
    Not a job for rookies Ras
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Ras, I'm sure you figured it out (& I'm not rubbing it in), but there are some things that should just be done "while they are tearing it apart".  Of course it cost a bit more money at the time, but it'll save you in the long run.  Bellows is one of those items that should always just be changed while you're in there. (for me to say this right now with my whole maintenance nightmare that still isn't fixed...)  I am glad you found it though because I know you've really been trying to find it.  Hope all goes well with what you decide!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Just had all of this done on by Twin Bravo 3's with OEM parts. Bill was $3k all in but that included gear lube tubes and trim senders & solenoids so it probably could have been in the $2500 arena for just the tramsom kit that you need. I'd expect a single to be $1000 minimum all in and up to $1400 depending on your area costs. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    will have to give this some serious thought...will get some prices from around the area..not sure I want to use the guy I have now as he should have caught it anyway. Will post when I figure it out but will be on the back burner for now until I get the new job going and the money going as well. Last employer got me for about 9 grand so I'm feeling the squeeze!
  • Options
    Yes, take a year off and recover Ras. Thats what I did LOL
  • Options
    I could handle a week...if I got my 9 grand might have done two weeks!
  • Options
    When he did your coupler, he might have thought that it was fine. I wouldn't discount him not catching it.

Nine boat bucks after 21 years. Ouch... That hurts.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    New company bought the dealership, bunch of a holes for sure, thankful I have another great opportunity...and 5 mins from the intercostal!
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with your new JOB.
    Boat Name :