Options

well, found my leak

Comments

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    It will make sense Ras when you start to build it. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah  sweet- probably the two up rights at an angle make it stronger..  I'm going to get started on this pretty quick...
  • Options
    OK, something I meant to ask about this that is really bugging me...I finally found my leak while sitting at the dock, or at least the area it is coming in from. It seems to be for sure a bellows leak as I could feel the water coming down the transom from inside the transom ring. So, I assume the U joint bellows while at dock is above the water so it probably is not there. Likewise the foot water pickup hose and connections are above the water line so probably not there. So, if my reading the manual understandings are correct, then it would have to be the shift cable bellows that is bad or the one that the gimbal bearing sits inside of....is that also the exhaust? I would be thinking that hot exhaust does not go through a rubber bellows, where is that connection? Is that a third area to consider for the leaking?
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

The gimbal bearing is in the same area as the U joint (Upper Bellows) and the exhaust is the lower bellows.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    The shift cable bellows is a small one on the right side of the housing, total of 3 bellows.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    shift bellow is a number one cause of boats taking on water 
    long story short there is only two you have to worry about
    shift and main input shaft bellow
    Hole in the exhaust bellow will now make your boat take on water

• Options
    So if the input shaft bellows is above the water line sitting at the dock and the exhaust bellows will not leak into the boat, should I not then be able to see the tare in the little shift bellows? Can't really tell for sure if the u joint bellows is under water at dock or not so I'm assuming there. 
  • Options
    Well they are all on the outside of the boat
    so you would have to be on blocks or trailer
    easiest way to tell is to trim the drive all the way into trailer pos and look for dry rot
    you can also push on them to see how brittle they are.
    to answer your question all below are bellow the water line

• Options
    Hmmmm...i have it on a trailer and have been looking as best I can- they are very playable and nothing visable....must be on the input shaft/ I joint bellows that I can't see...just did the coupler so you think they would have inspected and seen this, or they did it when they put the drive back on, that a possibility?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    If not properly sealed yes or old reused gaskets used
    maybe they just  did the coupler and that was it
    drive comes off and engine then either moved or taken out 
    all rubbers stay put
  • Options
    You can try and tighten your worm clamps on the bellows,maybe that will help.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I did check the clamps I could get at...maybe when I get the drive off and all the bellows I will see where it was leaking  even if a bellows is not torn
     I will start a new thread starting with building the stand and then begging for help! Maybe I should do a go fund me account and get some fools to pay me do it!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
     :D "us fools" also already all own our own money pits......I mean boats.... 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A boat is a great way to get rid of money.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hahahahahahhaha
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    randy56 said:
    A boat is a great way to get rid of money.

Willhound said:
     :D "us fools" also already all own our own money pits......I mean boats.... 
    Boy you both hit it the nail square on the head!  & I just keep paying.  After my latest spending, today I paid the boat insurance too.  But, I was smart enough not to pay the "Fraud" USCG documentation paper that just came in.  (maybe I need to start another topic on it so others don't do it)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited May 2017
    You do realize what you see with drive in trailer pos is what u will see with drive off

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Websters, "Boat" noun. Def; " A hole in the water that you throw money into."
  • Options
    @zaverin1 well that is my concern! I don't see any rates in the bellows.
  • Options
    Kit shows 3 bellows plus the shift cable boot so I'm not seeing the u joint bellows am I? What the neck is the other one?
  • Options
    Third is the slip for the exhaust
    i had my alpha drives updated to slip exhaust tube vs bellow
  • Options

I need to look back at the manual but I'm seeing the exhaust and the shift cable, not the u joint correct? So if the u joint bellows is the culprit then I can't inspect it on the trailer with the drive on....

• Options
    Well it's the top one
    its hard to see
  • Options
    and it is behind the top of the drive and does not pivot, correct? I'm so confused..I need to look at the manual before it gets worse.
  • Options
    It does pivot up and down
    side to side with your drive 

• Options
    When you pull the drive off it will all
    come to you 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The u-joint bellows for the B3 part number is 8M0062406. The shift bellows part number is 18-2753-2 (I believe this one is Sierra) and a new shift cable is 865437A02. I just had to pull my drive and bell housing after it was just put on because of a small cut in the oil line. Just when I was ready to launch this was found.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    So  guessing it is the I joint bellows I can't see leaking..who knows.  I hush up until I'm ready to get started. I see all sorts of kits online varying in price...i don't see serial numbers or years for the parts at a quick look...i would think you have at least a range of years?

• Options
    My rinker brother
    if you want to attempt this yourself then remove the drive yourself 
    it's easy to do just a heavy drive.
    or pay a pro to do it
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you go to the Mercury Parts Finder site, plug in your drive serial number, it will give you all of the part numbers. https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/parts-and-accessories/parts-catalog

Take the part numbers and plug them into google. You will find everything. In the first view, part 8 is the U-joint bellows and the bottom view, part 24 is the shift bellows.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!