2005 Rinker 342 Bridge Clearance

dtwilson110dtwilson110 Tonawanda, NYMember Posts: 35 ✭✭
I saw online that the bridge clearance is 9'8".  Does anyone know if this includes the radar that is mounted on top of the radar arch?  I have a bridge that is about 10' high that I need to clear to get to my slip.
Tagged:

Comments

• davidbrooksdavidbrooks GermantownMember Posts: 813 ✭✭✭
    I look at anything 14ft and under with skepticism. Definitely have to drop vhf antenna.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Ft Myers FloridaMember Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go inder 11 foot bridges in high tide with room to spare with radar. Bridge clearance is 10 foot 4 inch
  • dtwilson110dtwilson110 Tonawanda, NYMember Posts: 35 ✭✭

At 10' 4" I will never make it.  I guess no radar for me

• Handymans342Handymans342 Ft Myers FloridaMember Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mount the radar so the top of the radar is level with your arch use a bracket
  • DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 813 ✭✭✭
    9'8" is JUST the arch.
    2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • mikejudd65mikejudd65 Gloucester, MAMember Posts: 25 ✭✭
    cleared 11 feet this past Monday, 2004 342, with radar ... the first-mate (wife) on the bow watching , she reported plenty clearance left at 11ft 
    "Next Adventure" 2004 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342 , FWC Horizon Mercs, Blue Imron Hull
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Holland, MichiganMember Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you put the radome on some folding mount, you’d have a 10” deep headroom loss. lol

That is with an enclosed array.  BTW: an open array (exposed rotating type) is a waste of money on any express cruiser. Radar is line of sight, 10’ over the water limits your signal regardless of the radar power or type.  

2003 342FV "Black Diamond", 350 MAG MPI, 20P 4x4 Props, PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • LaReaLaRea Alexandria VirginiaMember Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    True, but a bigger radar isn't only about max range.  A wider radar array can see small objects that a smaller radar would miss (such as a log or unlighted marker).  More power will penetrate farther in heavy rain or fog.  
    4kw is all ya need. More is a waste unless higher. The new digital radars look sweet with their resolution tho. 

• LaReaLaRea Alexandria VirginiaMember Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that higher power doesn't buy a whole lot, but (sorry for veering off-topic) the improved beam width gives much better, more detailed images.  

Smaller = better:
    24" radome, 3.9 deg beam width
    48" open array, 1.85 deg (twice the resolution)

In practice, what it means is this:  if you are cruising on plane, and there's a floating object in your path, you'll have more advance warning with a bigger radar.  And that has nothing to do with power.  

When I sold my 342, I went from a 24" dome to an 18" dome (4.9 deg beam).  The images were crap by comparison, so I upgraded to a 24" broadband.  I'll ditch it and get a 48" open array at some point.  
    A helicopter 342!