2005 Rinker 342 Bridge Clearance

dtwilson110dtwilson110 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
I saw online that the bridge clearance is 9'8".  Does anyone know if this includes the radar that is mounted on top of the radar arch?  I have a bridge that is about 10' high that I need to clear to get to my slip.
Tagged:

Comments

• davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    I look at anything 14ft and under with skepticism. Definitely have to drop vhf antenna.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go inder 11 foot bridges in high tide with room to spare with radar. Bridge clearance is 10 foot 4 inch
  • dtwilson110dtwilson110 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭

At 10' 4" I will never make it.  I guess no radar for me

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mount the radar so the top of the radar is level with your arch use a bracket
  • DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    9'8" is JUST the arch.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • mikejudd65mikejudd65 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    cleared 11 feet this past Monday, 2004 342, with radar ... the first-mate (wife) on the bow watching , she reported plenty clearance left at 11ft 
    "Next Adventure" 2004 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342 , FWC Horizon Mercs, Blue Imron Hull
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you put the radome on some folding mount, you’d have a 10” deep headroom loss. lol

That is with an enclosed array.  BTW: an open array (exposed rotating type) is a waste of money on any express cruiser. Radar is line of sight, 10’ over the water limits your signal regardless of the radar power or type.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    True, but a bigger radar isn't only about max range.  A wider radar array can see small objects that a smaller radar would miss (such as a log or unlighted marker).  More power will penetrate farther in heavy rain or fog.  
    4kw is all ya need. More is a waste unless higher. The new digital radars look sweet with their resolution tho. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that higher power doesn't buy a whole lot, but (sorry for veering off-topic) the improved beam width gives much better, more detailed images.  

Smaller = better:
    24" radome, 3.9 deg beam width
    48" open array, 1.85 deg (twice the resolution)

In practice, what it means is this:  if you are cruising on plane, and there's a floating object in your path, you'll have more advance warning with a bigger radar.  And that has nothing to do with power.  

When I sold my 342, I went from a 24" dome to an 18" dome (4.9 deg beam).  The images were crap by comparison, so I upgraded to a 24" broadband.  I'll ditch it and get a 48" open array at some point.  
    A helicopter 342!

PC BYC, Holland, MI