Options

JL Audio Infinite Baffle Subs - Anyone have experience?

jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
So as some of you may know I am installing a new system in my 280 with new amps and new JL speakers. I currently have a shallow mount sub in sealed box that is under a seat behind the helm. I am thinking about getting one of the 10 inch JL 10 inch "infinite baffle" subs and cutting it in. I know the placement of subs and how much room you have behind one can determine how good or bad it sounds. For the guys that have cut in one of these, can you tell me the placement and how happy you are with it? I know @JBam67 has one but don't know about others. Have heard a lot of mixed reviews. Just thinking if I should keep my current box or go with one these. If anyone can speak to it it would be much appreciated!

Boat Name: Knot A Worry
2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3

Comments

• Options
    JBam67JBam67 Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    You already know I Love all my JL Audio components on my boat. IMOP they are by far the best on the water. Not looking for a debate from the Wet Sounds peeps :)
  • Options
    @JBam67 where did you cut in the sub? I have heard if you don't have a lot of open space in front of the woofer it sounds like crap (don't know how true that is) LOL. I think I have a good spot potentially but I am just curious 
  • Options
  • Options
    This one is an open air 10 Inch JL sub, sounds fantastic. I mounted it starboard side down by the floor by my seat.
  • Options
    Now after looking at that I feel like I might have too much space behind it where I want to mount mine. On their website it says atleast 2 cubic feet behind it
  • Options
    These are this year's new addition a set of JL 8.8s on their own 600 watt amp.
  • Options
  • Options
    I installed 4 6.5 inch JL's this weekend on my radio arch and cut in 2 7.7's on my swim platform. Only have a couple hours of play time on them but they're definitely impressive. Waiting for my starboard to come this week so I can get the other pair of 7.7's installed
  • Options
    Sounds very familair.....lol
    The 7.7s are a necessity on the rear transom, we love them. After installing the 8.8s I wish there was room to put them in the rear instead of the 7.7s though.
  • Options
    Show some pics. Would love to see 
  • Options
    Of course I only took 1 picture and that was of the 6.5 inch ones on the radar arch. I will snap some pictures of the 7.7's when I get home. I had Infinity 6.5's on the arch before. I replaced those

• Options
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jme097, I thought I heard music this weekend, It was you, even though we are 500 miles apart. Next time play some 70's stuff.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 943 ✭✭✭✭
    I installed a Rockford Fosgate 12" infinite baffle sub in the wall next to passenger side captains chair. It sounds really good, and I've had several kinds of sub's over the years.
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    @JBam67 pictures of the 7.7's on the swim platform

• Options
    @Lake_Bum thanks for the picture. Got anymore a little zoomed out? Just curious as to where exactly you put it 
  • Options
    @jme097 the layout in our boats is different, I have a 232......but.....it is just installed in the wall next to the passenger seat, underneath the little cubby/shelf. There is TONS of space for it on my boat, I would guess yours is similar. The location of it, you don't really even notice it is there, until ya turn it up!  B)

2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    @Lake_Bum I figured the layouts were different I was just curious as to how much space you have behind the actual sub itself lol
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guy's are the type I like to anchor out next to, with great sounding elaborate sound systems. Until such time they start playing Rap music, that's when I swim over and take the plug out of there boat. Or unhook anchor.  :)
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    lmao @randy56 I am 29 and hate rap. When we're anchored out, its all country until later in the afternoon when the drinks have been flowing and then its jams from the 90's
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I have a feeling you guys wouldn't run away from my boat regardless of hip hop playing or not....lol

Country music is for pontoons, keep that junk inland. Haha
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Spread the wealth Joe. Don't be so selfish lol
  • Options
    @randy56 that is too funny!  I listen to everything, depending on the mood. @jme097 the magnets should be similar on the JL's and Fosgate subs, it was definitely not a tiny one, plenty of depth in the wall. Take your cubby out and you'll be amazed how big it is in there  B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I had a 10" JL infinite baffle in my boat, but it wasn't quite enough to keep up with the rest of the system, so I went with a sealed Wetsound 12" setup. Much better :)
  • Options
    @69fastback still have the JL sub by chance? lol
  • Options
    There are a lot of variables when it comes to adding subwoofers to boats. I think lots of people make the mistake of installing the subs down below in the cabin. Although that may sound incredible down inside the cabin, the sound is going to be trapped down there, and not much make it up to the hangout area where you'll be listening 95% of the time! 

I've ran sealed box subs, ported boxes, downward firing boxes, and now infinite baffle. What really matters is speaker quality, and the amp you're going to push it with. JL is a no-brainer, they are great quality. I once had a 12" Alpine sub, that was mounted directly underneath the captains chair in a little miniature storage spot in a sealed box. The bass was realllllllllly booming there, but I prefer a tighter sound. I've had smaller boats, that I ran a downward firing ported box, sitting under a back seat, and that was meager sounds at best. I really like the sound of my infinite baffle sub. I'm running a dedicated 500 watt mono sub amp to just that sub, running at 2 ohms. The sub is a dual voice coil 4 ohm, so running bridged at 2 ohms is what the amp was made for......I think a dedicated amp for your sub is the best choice, rather than running a 5 channel amp to run the whole system. I've got a 300 watt amp that is dedicated to running the mids/highs in the boat. The sound quality throughout the volume level is flawless.....no distortion at any level. 

The ONLY drawback of the infinite baffle location I can see, is everything really gets to rattling that is sitting on the shelf/cubby just above it haha.  That sub really gets with it on movement, and it shakes that panel pretty good! 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Here's my amps, tucked away in the small closet that 232's have. I have no overheating issues yet, but summer heat will tell that tale!  B)

2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    @Lake_Bum those aren't marine amps right? You keep that closet closed when anchoring and the system blasting?  I have read tons of reviews about how JL marine amps stay pretty cool so I guess we'll see how cool they really stay soon! I agree with you on the dedicated amp for the sub but with me replacing the speakers and buying the 8 channel JL amp, thats not in the budget.....for now lmao. Maybe in June lol
  • Options
    They aren't marine amps, that little "M" symbol that companies place on their marine stuff actually stands for "more" money haha!  I have ran them, at moderate volume for about 2 hours so far. Barely ANY heat on the amps, but that is with temps hovering in the upper 70's ambient. I was more testing out battery capacity, than anything else...I'm running dual Deka marine batteries, 1000 CC, they took it like a champ. 
    I can't remember who's post it was on here, but they were considering mounting their marine amps in the engine room.  That is a terribly bad idea, marine, or not! Heat, condensation, possible spark issues, and just exposure to a bad environment that promotes mold, corrosion, etc. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    @Lake_Bum that was me that posted that haha. I have called around to several places and asked installers and got many people that do. I am going to go for it. Really don't see a problem with it but time will tell. You run deep cycle 1000CC batteries?