Options

volvo penta y-pipe, wrong # stamped into part?

duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in Engine Discussions
so in the process of putting my engine back into my boat, i managed to brake the exhaust y-pipe. the number stamped onto the y-pipe was 3850794. i have the tall 11'' risers. i purchased a new old stock y-pipe, same number stamped into the y-pipe, and it seems like my pipes are too low in the bilge to receive my exhaust boots. i have since let the local scrap guy have the old broken pipe so now i have no way to measure the old pipe to see if it's the same. is there a  chance that the wrong part number was stamped into this part?  thanks in advance.

Post edited by duane.mosley on

Comments

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Geez you have no luck! hard to say, but cant think its stamped wrong.....Can u get longer boots?
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Geez you have no luck! hard to say, but cant think its stamped wrong.....Can u get longer boots?
    you can say that again! not sure on the longer boots. i made this post and sat down for dinner and some down time. i'm close to giving up and paying someone to finish it! just almost to the point of being over it! sad part is, i know for a fact the part numbers match. don't make much sense why they're not the same. i just measured and there is a 4'' gap between the pipes, i know that's different. either longer boots, or have a friend that's a good welder extend my pipes. kinda stuck and aggravated at the moment.

sad part is, if i would have waited an hour to install my engine(when i broke the y-pipe)  i had a friend coming over to help me guide it into place but my impatient butt couldn't wait. the drain plug for the starboard exhaust manifold got hung up on the exhaust pipe and the weight of the engine snapped the y-pipe at the flange. i am done for the night and will get back at it tomorrow. i guess the one good thing, i live in northern ky and it's not exactly boating weather just yet. i have another few weeks before we're really able to get out and enjoy the water.
    Post edited by duane.mosley on
  • Options
    not sure what is going on. the new part definitely has the same number stamped into it. i do have a picture of the old part that has the number on it. the new part is the same number but the boots seem to be way short

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    check your risers... i wager you've got a riser spacer in there.  I had opposite issue- the risers were too low so i had to install spacers (2", ran $100ea)
  • Options
    check your risers... i wager you've got a riser spacer in there.  I had opposite issue- the risers were too low so i had to install spacers (2", ran $100ea)
    brand new risers, no spacers. i just rebuilt the engine and put all new risers and manifolds on it. all new parts, numbers matching from old parts. that's what is throwing me off with this y-pipe. the part number is identical to the one i took off. makes me think the wrong pipes were welding onto the base with the part number from the factory.  only thing that makes sense because the numbers are the same.  i did not put them side by side to see if they matched. once i seen the part number, i figured it was right.  really kicking myself in the butt for letting the scrap guy take my old parts. in my defense, i did wait until i new i had the right new part before i let them go(so i thought!)

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it was certainly an unforeseen issue when i repowered... sat that engine in, and spotted it immediately.  

the pipe/hose you linked saved the day, along with raising the risers 2", but be aware you'll likely need to pull the engine upward some to slip the pipe/hose on... it's a pita, but it will all work out for you.  also, realize (maybe not in your case?) the Y is oval and the pipe isn't.... that took some effort to get right and sealed, but it worked out in the end.  
  • Options
    it was certainly an unforeseen issue when i repowered... sat that engine in, and spotted it immediately.  

the pipe/hose you linked saved the day, along with raising the risers 2", but be aware you'll likely need to pull the engine upward some to slip the pipe/hose on... it's a pita, but it will all work out for you.  also, realize (maybe not in your case?) the Y is oval and the pipe isn't.... that took some effort to get right and sealed, but it worked out in the end.  
    you mean i have to pull the engine again after it took me about 45 minutes to align it by myself!!! lol kidding of course.

maybe i can pull the risers loose and put the hose on that way, everything is still fresh so it should come loose without damaging the gaskets. i'll try one and see what happens.

thanks for  your reply 212rowboat.