Options

Loud ticking noise

mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
edited June 2013 in Engine Discussions
2008 5.0L Mercruiser coupled to an Alpha One drive.   Towards the end of the last boating season, I detected a loud ticking noise coming from right cylinder bank.   Increased ticking rate with RPM.  Also detected an abnormal odor in the engine compartment.   Felt hot gas pulsations coming from the vicinity of the #1 spark plug.   A mirror placed under the exhaust manifold showed a protruding manifold gasket.   I removed the exhaust manifold and checked the exhaust shutter.   Then I looked at the gasket (see attached).   This engine was never worked on... factory original.   Turns out there's a service bulletin out there claiming improper exhaust manifold bolt torques from the factory.   After replacing the gasket,  all is well again. 

Mark

Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
2019 MTX20 Extreme

Post edited by mvn on

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2013

Alswagg said:
    yes, this is very common.  We started retorquing all exhaust manifolds mountings at the 20 hr or first oil changes.  I have changed many of these gaskets.  Luckily not too bad to do.  Al

Well, on a 226 the starboard side is easy.  The port side, that's a different story especially when you're trying to do it yourself!!  I figured out a way to rig a beam across the engine compartment opening and support the manifold with ratchet straps.  Worked out quite well.

Mark

2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Is it just 2008 5.0, or are other years & displacements also affected?
  • Options

Alswagg can comment better than I; however, reading on other forums shows that it is primarily a GM small block issue on all years.  Some have used Volvo or Fel-Pro gaskets with better success than Merc.  Failures seem to readily occur between 20 and 60 hours.

Mark

2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If and when you guys encounter issues with failed exhaust gaskets, there is one solution that works every single time without fail, and will last until you unseat them...

The mighty "Remflex" gasket is the answer.. it will seal even warped manifolds.. they are pricey, but worth every bit of the cost.. if you couple the remflex gaskets with stage eight (not grade eight, but stage eight) bolts, that problem is forever solved..
  • Options
    If and when you guys encounter issues with failed exhaust gaskets, there is one solution that works every single time without fail, and will last until you unseat them... The mighty "Remflex" gasket is the answer.. it will seal even warped manifolds.. they are pricey, but worth every bit of the cost.. if you couple the remflex gaskets with stage eight (not grade eight, but stage eight) bolts, that problem is forever solved..

Here's a link to Stage 8 Fasteners.  Very interesting..........

http://www.stage8.com/

Mark

2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I swear by them, Mark.

I've also used these, which I don't recommend.. :