Options

Anyone use the huge engine compartment for storage on their 270.

luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
The engine compartment on a 270 is huge. I am considering using it for some storage. Possibly the cockpit table when not in use and some folding bag chairs I could use on the swim platform or the dock. Might consider adding few small stainless Bimini type holders to attach bungees. Anyone else use this space? Bad idea? 

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The previous owner put some bins down there where I store lots of stuff... also store the grill down there, on a small pole mount.. I was going to dive into fixing a couple things today, will take some pics. 
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    ... also store the grill down there, on a small pole mount.. I was going to dive into fixing a couple things today, will take some pics. 
    Pics!! lol.....that's a great idea on the grill
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is all this room? I have a Ginny down there, perhaps that is where your talking about? I have eyen a couple of spots I can maybe store the table...maybe stuck the grille in a spot...
  • Options
    That's where the majority of mine is, where the generator would be. I Plan to pull out the hot water heater too.  There's enough space in front of the engine to store stuff as well. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the extra space in my engine room for storage. I have some big fenders for when I am tied to a wall, which gets waked, down in there. It sometimes is a PITA to get stuff out when the boat is full of guests, but I try to use as much storage space that the boat allows.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    My boat does not have a generator so that may explain why there is so much room. Thinking it will be for stuff I don't use every day. Rather than cramming everything into the aft cabin. Right now tthere is a just s bin with oil and spare parts 
  • Options
    the only sketchy thing is the grill is close to the positive battery terminal
  • Options
    The Ginny fills it up plus getting to that water pump a pain...
  • Options
    gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    I store my ginny down there.
  • Options
    gack said:
    I store my ginny down there.
    Not safe man! 
  • Options
    gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    It's a Kohler 5E  :)
  • Options
    my ginny does take up some space! I have a little spot on either side of it I could put a bin in and throw some stuff in there but that is about it!
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    That's where the majority of mine is, where the generator would be. I Plan to pull out the hot water heater too.  There's enough space in front of the engine to store stuff as well. 
    Are you pulling out the water heater because it doesnt work and you dont use it?  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
  • Options
    I like my hot water heater...taking a nice hot shower on the boat is nice! The neighbors at the dock take a dim view of me showing on my transom so if it's still light out and take it in the head most of the time....JK
  • Options
    @J3ff I am about to do the same.  Did you have any disruption
     for hot water once it was gone?  Have to reconnect any hoses?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    I will take some pics of the space the next timr I head down to the boat. NewEngland weather has been crappy so far. 
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury - without going into to much detail how do you shower in the 270?  Seems do small and cramped in the bathroom.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury - sorry wasn't sure if you were joking or not..saw the JK at last minute.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    I actually just use one of those camping showers if I'm ever going to need a warm shower.. leave it out in the sun all day, throw it up on the rear bimini at the end of the day and rinse off in a bathing suit. 

The other option is a nice cool shower (no heat of course) at the end of the day after being on the water all day long... it actually feels good on the sunburn.. I'm 6 1 and I get the job done down stairs if needed.  
  • Options
    @J3ff I am about to do the same.  Did you have any disruption
     for hot water once it was gone?  Have to reconnect any hoses?
    I capped off the hot water line as close as I could to the pump.  The only difference is the system hardly needs to build up pressure now... the second you turn the cold water knob, it's blasting water away... 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    But you still get hot water from shore power correct?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    But you still get hot water from shore power correct?
    no, not at all, my hot water heater is rotted to the core (thanks previous owner).. no hot water at all on my boat. 
  • Options
    Im right there with you brother.  Luckily I saw water pouring into my engine compartment from the hot water heater when I was at the dock.  Totally rotten and is on the list to remove. 

I was under the impression you should still get hot water without the hot water heater...maybe I am wrong. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    Patrick, the water heater is the only way you will get hot water.  Most will heat either thru shore power (electricity) or by running your engine.  Either way, it uses the water heater to do it.  We couldn't do the boating we do without a water heater.  Of course we use it not only for showers, but for washing dishes.  Hard to get by without it if you are on the boat for 10 days or longer a couple times thru the summer.  Honestly, it only holds 6 gallons, so not really that much space or weight.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    ah ok thanks John for straightening that out.  I do need to get mine replaced although we dont use it much.  Agreed though on a 10 day trip it would be a must.  Another must is the next boat to have a shower we can actually use.  

Another question, if I have bypassed the hose that runs from the engine to the hot water heater but everything else is still hooked up.  Will I still get hot water from shore power?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes - if the heater is functional, seems you said it wasn't. But why take it off the engine, this keep it nice and hot for you while out all day.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    I'm guessing it rusted out in the area that the engine uses for heating the water?  If so, yes you can bypass it and using electricity, the heater will still warm up the water.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    correct, the inlet corroded out big time.  Found water rushing into my bilge one day before I went out.  Scared the he$$ out of my at first seeing water rushing into the boat.

Appreciate the info John. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    On the 270, you sit on the can and go to it....im 5 10 and you just get the job done!