Options

Insurance debacle

craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
I am pretty sure i haven't been this frustrated with a company in a while.  So beginning of this season, May 1st, i call my boat insurance company, Geico, to renew my policy on my 2005 Rinker 360.  All is well except they tell my my rate is going up from $840 to $897.  No big deal the boat is a year older.  They tell me once my policy expires on May 15th it will autorenew and i'll be good for another year.  I get off the phone and all is well.
So with all the talk of alot of named storms this year i could not remember if i had haul protection in the event of a hurricane.  So i called Geico and ask the question and am informed that my policy expired on May15th and i'm not currently covered.  Obviously i raise the red flag and tell them about my exact conversation and renewal agreed to 45 days ago.  They tell me ok no big deal we will just have to rewrite the policy.  They do this and all of a sudden my rate is now $2100 for the year!!!!!!!!!!  I almost fell off my chair.  I talked to a manager and they basically said we cannot renew at the old rate because it expired.  She tells me they sent me an email that my credit card on file from last year did not go through and it expired, which is true (same debit card number different expiration date).  I get so many emails and on top of it, it was filtered to junk, so i never got this communication.  I asked them why i was not contacted by phone or letter, and they said in these scenarios we contact by email.  I told them it was not acceptable and that any business that had their customers best interests in mind would have gotten in contact with me before cancelling my policy.  I get mail and calls from Geico all the time (i have two houses, two cars and a boat covered by them) yet they don't send me a communication or give me a call on this.  I'm beside myself.  Plus i'm angry i have been driving the boat around for 30 days uninsured....  I suppose i should have realized i didn't have a new insurance binder sent to me, but i didn't.  I still think its incredibly irresponsible of Geico.
So net net of it, is the manager told me they cannot renew the old policy but they have sent it "up to systems review" and will get back to me today with potentially a new rate.  It sounds like a double check process on the crumby rate they gave me.  I would wager they only improve it marginally.
Sooo, who do you guys use for insurance and what kind of rates are you seeing?  I previously used Skisafe, and they were good and competitive, before Geico wrote their own policies.  I may reach out to them but would like to save myself sometime if you guys have already done the research on the best coverage for $ out there.

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @craigswardmtb I have Skisafe, I thought they were a branch of GEICO? When I insured my 242 I called GEICO and they set the policy up with Skisafe?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    They might actually be a branch now.  Not sure as i haven't called them yet.  Years ago they were independent and thats who i used.
  • Options
    After doing some research on here it sounds like i have a good list to outreach: Global Marine; Ace Marine; Marine Underwriters Insurance; Boat US.  
    That insane geico rate was for 300k liability; 1k deductible; 100k agreed value; in the northeast so in the water maybe 7-8 months.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    BoatUS Insurance is Geico now.  

I hear good things about Allstate boat insurance.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Never had an issue with One Beacon. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Wow!  That is just insane they treat you like that!  I switched my car & home over to Geico a little over a year ago and this does not make me happy!  I had BoatUS insurance for about 13 years for the boat and then switched over to Global marine when I bought my current boat in '12.  Went to switch back to BUS, and they skyrocketed on me (just like you).  So I stayed with Global Marine and have had two large claims over the years.  I've said on here a few times, I could not be happier with them.  Not only are the rates extremely reasonable for great coverage, but they are quick with claims.  Very easy to deal with and they even have towing insurance (although for some dumb reason I also pay for BoatUS towboat insurance).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I switched to Geico for home and vehicles 10 years ago and they have been great on that front.  However this little debacle has me considering switching all together.  I still haven't heard back from them so we will see.  I did request quotes from Global, Ace, and Marine Insurance Underwriters so far.  Both Skisafe and Boat US now use Geico.
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    I have United Marine Underwriters.  Switched over to them last year and haven't had to use them, but so far they have been very responsive to cashing my check.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    @davidbrooks ^Now that's funny right there^ I have Foremost, part of Farmers. The cost is reasonable considering I can use my boat pretty much 24/7/365 out in the big bad Pacific around a bunch of Bozos who don't know the Rules of the Road. I've never made a claim and of course that is the only true test of how good is your insurance!

Andy
  • Options
    RustySRustyS Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited June 2017

@craigswardmtb I use Gallagher Charter Lakes. Previously had used Progressive and they were getting quite out of hand. My buddy uses Geico/Boat US and the policy from GCL has equal coverage (even more in some areas) and is less $$.

I had never heard of them until I did a Google search one day; glad I did! Julia Ellis was the person I dealt with; they are very professional and accommodating.

Good Luck!

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the same as rusty but they are part of Farmers
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Just reachaed out to my insurance guy, i have had BoatUS for the boat and everything else with a local agent.   Think it may be time to get out of Boatus/Geico as well.
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    I use travelers 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I am second guessing having BoatUS/GEICO. Hmm... I will have to check into things when my policy is due in the spring.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I had the same issue as you Craig, and they would not help much at all. I'm mad because mine went from $355 to $500, and I lost 3 years of vanishing deductible. Not impressed with the change to Geico (I have BoatUS policy), so I'll def be looking at other companies next season.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Geico came back after their review and offered an additional $40 off my yearly rate.  Laughable.  I informed them i will be considering other options all together for all my insurance policies.  Crazy as i have zero claims with them all these years, vehicle, homeowners and boat.  I think i'm a pretty good customer.  oh well.  Thats the service you get from these massive corps sometimes.
    So far i have a couple quotes back.  The best being $950 yearly rate, 50% windstorm haul out protection, $890 deductible, 300k liability, 980k fuel spill from Marine Underwriters/IMU.  Still waiting on a couple more quotes.  Thanks for all the suggestions so far!
    Post edited by craigswardmtb on
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    edited June 2017
    The high cost of BoatUS made me switch to State Farm.  My State Farm boat policy does not include fuel spill, so I combined it with a $1M umbrella policy.  The umbrella covers me for fuel spill AND lots of other non-boating risks -- and the total cost was a lot cheaper than BoatUS. 
  • Options
    Do they include lifts?
  • Options
    So with my recent set of issues i now have more info to post on this topic.  So my insurance company was United Marine Underwriters.  Last month i hit something that basically ripped off one of my outdrives.  So i contacted Insurance.  The next day i was called by an adjuster.  The policy is underwritten by American Modern Home Insurance.  This was interesting.  All the paperwork i have been sent is about the accident to my "home"....which it might be if i keep spending this much money on it.  Anyway it took forever to get an estimate from a mechanic, they sent out an appraiser who also took pictures and did a write up.  The day after i sent the guy an estimate he called me back to tell me what the final $$ would be. The only surprise to me was that they discounted from the estimate 50% of the price of the parts due to wear. Never having an insurance claim before this was a surprise.  So transom assembly, coupler, seal kit etc  are all considered items that wear out.  I thought it would be like a car policy where it is all about replacement costs.. Nope.  So that is one detail i will look for next time i go shopping for a new policy. Other than that i cant say enough good things about this company. He said i should have a check in 5 days.
  • Options
    My claim recently, they just paid all the bills 100%
  • Options
    I wish I was financially secure so I can self insure
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

Well David, I'm glad it's getting taking care of quickly on the insurance end.  You may just want to check your policy a bit in detail.  I'm sure there are options for coverage that is non-depreciable.  I know on mine, they covered everything 100% both times.  One was an outdrive and the other was the vapor explosion.

At least you will have a lot of new parts and good-to-go boat!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I have Allstate for 2 cars, home, HD and boat. Never claimed on boat or HD but car claims (2 teenage driver totals, 1 $2k claim when I slid off the icy road) and house (dishwasher leak, hardwood replace) we all handled well, quickly and with no arguments.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    My 14 year old outdrives were depreciated to 40% when I filed a claim with Boat US insurance.  I think that's common with some insurance companies.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Just got off the phone with United Marine to ask them about this.  Read your "Partial Loss" section of your policy.  Basically what mine says is that if i break it they depreciate parts over 10 yrs old. If i sink it then i get the full Insured amount.  "When we pay for damaged or missing parts we may reduce our payment for betterment and depreciation on parts over ten years old based on the parts condition and expected useful life just prior to the loss".  Mine is 14 yrs old also.  Hmmm maybe i shouldn't of been so quick to get her back to the dock and pulled out.   Water was warm, could of swam to shore..nah i would of had to go back for my liquor.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's why the captain goes down with the ship he's trying to get all the booze.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    Geico came back after their review and offered an additional $40 off my yearly rate.  Laughable.  I informed them i will be considering other options all together for all my insurance policies.  Crazy as i have zero claims with them all these years, vehicle, homeowners and boat.  I think i'm a pretty good customer.  oh well.  Thats the service you get from these massive corps sometimes.
    So far i have a couple quotes back.  The best being $950 yearly rate, 50% windstorm haul out protection, $890 deductible, 300k liability, 980k fuel spill from Marine Underwriters/IMU.  Still waiting on a couple more quotes.  Thanks for all the suggestions so far!
    They dont care if you leave but they seem to care when you light them up on their FB page,lol.  I had a huge problem with allstate, they were lying to me. they doubled my premium after someone rearended my truck and we didnt sue or have any med expenses, just wanted the truck fixed.. I spelled everything out on their fb page and i got calls and letters and emails instantly.  The court of public opinion seems to get the most response   I always remember that insurance companys are in the business of not paying you.      
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    So with my recent set of issues i now have more info to post on this topic.  So my insurance company was United Marine Underwriters.  Last month i hit something that basically ripped off one of my outdrives.  So i contacted Insurance.  The next day i was called by an adjuster.  The policy is underwritten by American Modern Home Insurance.  This was interesting.  All the paperwork i have been sent is about the accident to my "home"....which it might be if i keep spending this much money on it.  Anyway it took forever to get an estimate from a mechanic, they sent out an appraiser who also took pictures and did a write up.  The day after i sent the guy an estimate he called me back to tell me what the final $$ would be. The only surprise to me was that they discounted from the estimate 50% of the price of the parts due to wear. Never having an insurance claim before this was a surprise.  So transom assembly, coupler, seal kit etc  are all considered items that wear out.  I thought it would be like a car policy where it is all about replacement costs.. Nope.  So that is one detail i will look for next time i go shopping for a new policy. Other than that i cant say enough good things about this company. He said i should have a check in 5 days.

Yep buddy got burnt on this fine print. I read MY fine print and it was the same, so I canceled and switched. They pay replacement cost, and it only went up $200 a year.

2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    GreggGregg Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Unfortunately it's called betterment,most people due not no this till they have a claim. Depending on the hours of your boat you may get it down a little.