Options

Insurance debacle

2»

Comments

• Options
    Autodog61Autodog61 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭

Ok, I gotta weigh in on this one.  First, I am surprised insurance costs so much more in other parts of the country.  I have two boats insured (one a 27 foot go fast-trailered) including the Rinker 342 with Foremost, runs me $837/annual.  I surprised no one here talked about Marine pollution liability coverage.  Meaning if the boat goes down, you don't want to be liable for the fuel spill and coast guard response.  I.e. pollution liability.  I bought my boat last August and the broker swore up and down typical boat insurance didn't include pollution liability.  Although I had to call out Foremost on this because its a Rider needing to be added, they did add $1M coverage limit but not until I demanded it or I would go elsewhere.  The basic policy has $500K personal liability.  so you all can compare.  What stinks is the medical - $1k per person.   It has 20K for uninsured boater and like 1.5K per year towing (I have unlimited towing on boats US for $300 annually).  And, prior to accepting foremost last August, I went to a marine insurance only co. (or an insurance broker I think it was?) for cost comparison (again, the guy recommended by the broker I bought my boat from who swore they'd be the only ones to offer pollution liability).  Well, Foremost was about $40/year cheaper WITH the pollution liability.  Since I have an umbrella with $1M rider, I likely got a bit of a discount but not much.  I am surprised the Northwest is cheaper than the northeast.  It certainly isn't that way with auto insurance.

@!#.  The best you can do is seek out a decent provider with an agent for the company that would be embarrassed by the bad press like the one guy mentioned above to get better service.  But in the end, they simply don't care. 

Holy Smokes, don't forget the bilge plug!