Options

What size batteries should I have on a 2004 Rinker 282 bowrider?

Bought a 2004 Rinker 282 BR and marina folks are suggesting that I need bigger batteries (I am unsure exactly what I have right now).  What size do I need?  What set up to use, i.e. starting battery to #1 or #2.  When to use both batteries, etc?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Nice and NaughtyNice and Naughty Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    By the way welcome to the ROC!! B-)
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    FamilyTrucksterFamilyTruckster Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Thanks for the welcomes.  It has the 6.2L (base level motor - I think) with practically every other option.  No trailer but it stays at the covered dock.  Actually bought the boat last year and ran into some charging issues that got fixed last year.  Then on Memorial Day we were out about 4 miles from home and the boat just stopped. 

Not sure exactly what happened.  Repair shop spent time and realized that the fuel pump wasn't getting power.  Not sure what they did, but they got it to start again and ran it for over an hour.  They recommended to run it on both (I never did b/c salesman said that we should always run on #2 then cove out on #1 then switch back to #2 for the start/drive) from now on to ensure both batteries are receiving equal charge. 

Their theory about the fuel pump was that the battery that it was wired to was opposite the battery I was running on and eventually it was not receiving the charge and got low enough for the fuel pump to stop.  I wonder about this since I put about 8 hours on the boat over the weekend prior to this and had no problems.  Of course, I ran the stereo this whole trip so perhaps it did wear it down.  I don't know.  They also said that I need 1000 cranking amp starting batteries for both batteries.  Currently have 650 and 700 (starting / deep cycle).  I don't remember changing batteries last year but the wife tells me I did...

I have never had a two battery boat before so this is all new to me.  One more question -  when I plug in shore power is that charging both batteries?

Thanks guys,
    Family Truckster
  • Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    I just replaced my batteries on my 246.  I ran to 1000 cca starting batteries for years but just switched to on deep cell battery and one 800 cca starting battery.  For the same purpose you stated.  ONe for out on the hook and one to mak sure the boat starts at the end of the day.  Now the one thing I had to check prior to this was that my charger when plugged in at the dock would recognize the difference and charge accordingly.  It does.   Also I used to run in the "both" position too when underway until I was educated on this forum. First, the batteries should both charge no matter what the setting on the switch.  Second (and most important), If your alternator was to die on you while out cruising you would have no idea until the boat doesn't have enough juice to run anymore.  If you were running on both batteries you would have no reserve battery to limp to shore if neccesary.  Jsut for FYI, I am running a 350 mag not a big block however big blocks start in cars everyday with only one battery.  Hope this helps! 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Guys, If you like deep cycle batteries (and who doesn't) next time take a look at the Penn Deka Series 31 AGM batteries. They have 800cca 1000mca, charge with the same charger and profile as flooded (only faster) and are beasts when it comes to holding power. About $280.00 each but well worth it in my opinion. MY