Options

Weeping pinhole

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
While on a trailer and at my place (As per posts on Drive oil leak) I decided to take the free opportunity to pressure wash the hull. Doing a walk around I spotted this tiny blister.  Side to side it's about half the size of my pinky nail. Can't think of what caused it, no other damage anywhere. Seems to be pushed in a bit, not blistered out from the inside. Has allowed a bit of water in though as can be seen. Panic time?
For now, I was going to let it dry a bit and seal with epoxy or 4200 or something.
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't look like its below the waterline, correct?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I would let it dry out as good as you can, maybe even drill it out some and fill with Spectrum patch paste. Follow the directions and you will never know its there.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Nope. Not below the waterline. Have a limited window of time. Might have to settle for epoxy until fall. What has me more concerned is there seems to be a bit of water sitting in there and weeping out. Don't know if it was already in the hull or if it's just from splash. Survey didn't find any wet spots.
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    If you plug it off with epoxy then try later on to apply Gelcoat it will not bound good to epoxy.
    fiberglass would be a better
  • Options
    The patch paste cures quick, then you can sand and polish in the fall when you pull the boat.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Would dearly love that. No local supplier. Online wow be 3 days best. I guess Gina be epoxy. More worried about the water weep8ng out. Slowed now, going to see what it looks like in a few hours.
  • Options
    You'll be fine with epoxy, just use a dremel to grind it out some when you use the patch paste in the fall. If I can find my repair pics using epoxy and patch paste,I'll post them.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Good advice @aero3113. Will do. Breaking out the Dremel in the fall.
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    optimistic:  you were hit by a gravel or something akin while trailering
    pessimistic: someone shot your rig with a high powered pellet/bb gun or a .22 with a glancing blow. 

the weep doesn't appear to be necessarily origination from the hole in my opinion, but allowing water to collect momentarily and focusing it's route south of the indentation.

if it were me, and it isn't, but if it were- I'd put a piece of clear packing tape over the hole that extends no less than two inches from it on any side- and i'd purposely put a 'wrinkle' in the tape directly below the hole (using the 'weep' as a guide) to allow moisture to escape... boom- instant one way valve and protection... then, come fall- i'd do it right.  
  • Options
    I know it's interior but same idea, just follow the instructions.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    somebody hit that with something and hard to know a hole in your boat. Or backed into you. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Where it is, and all by itself, I'd go with the gravel shot theory. Probably a previous trailer run like when it was delivered.  Or I would have
    noticed at pre inspection.