Options

Dipping Bravo 3 to cool

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
We are taking our 342 north from Lake Erie up in to Michigan next month and I was just looking at the mileage. We decided to not do drive showers this winter due to mixed reviews on clogging, we get a lot of zebra muscles here and algae. We know that we should probably stop along the way to dip the drives so the question is how often and for how long? We will be traveling with one other B3 boat, a chapperal,  and 3 v drive sea rays who will not be stopping to dip like us. That's fine with me, I can catch up. Most of our runs will be 40-50 miles so I'm thinking no dip needed there but we will have one or two 70-80 mile runs so I assume one dip stop half way at a minimum? A few minutes per dip or longer? Appreciate the input. 

07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a discussion on this, a while back, I'm not a young as used to be but I thought it was said ? Run 3 hours dip for 10 min. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Thanks Randy, I just looked through threads and could not find that. If that is what I should do, no problem, I should be able to go 80 miles in 3 hours so no dip?

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Yeah, You should be fine

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Honestly, 'dipping' them for 10 min won't do a lot of cooling down and they will warm right back up to running temps even faster. 

I ran almost 8 straight hours with a fuel stop included heading to Mackinaw Is last summer. 3.5-4 hrs at a crack crossing Lake Mich. 

Key is the oil in the outdrive. Synthetic is best for higher running temps. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks guys. BD- I thought you had drive showers, no? Believe I am using the synthetic quicksilver but will double check. 

• Options
    Thanks Al, do you have a limit on how long you would go before dipping? 

• Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    I like Al's answer (as always) best but I have always used drive showers on my B3 and even my Alpha 1. You could always use a infrared temp gun to check the drive or oil after a short and long run to make a more scientific assessment.   -Paul
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe an odd question but why is a dip needed when the drives are below the waterline anyway?  I thought these showers were intended for those that are mostly out of the water?  

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    While on plane the top half of the drive is out of the water heating up. 

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Ahh, thanks for the clarification.Up here on the rivers there's not a huge amount of on plane cruising until you get into the lakes. Good to be aware of the need to let them cool off after a while.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you use synthetic gear oil the heat should not affect the oil 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    On a long cruise, you should stop for a few minutes every couple hours to give the captain and crew a break!  The drives will take care of themselves.
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    On a long cruise, you should stop for a few minutes every couple hours to give the captain and crew a break!  The drives will take care of themselves.
    Not if you have auto pilot  LOL
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I'd want to go more than 45 mins or so without slowing down... how do you guys go for hours and hours at a time without slowing down for a break from the noise/wind/ etc??
  • Options
    I did it from Key West. 4 hours non stop at full speed. I guess because the water was not rough and a 342 rides like a Cadillac.  :) 
  • Options
    I stop for a break every couple hours because I've found that it's more enjoyable that way.  Even in calm seas, it's 85 dB with wind and vibration.  I'll go down to no-wake speed for 5-10 minutes, use the head, pour some coffee or whatever.  Why punish yourself.  

It gives the drives a rest too, but I guess the weak link in the system is me - not the drives.  
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree an hour or so is plenty of time  up on plane for me.plus I like to stop look and listen.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Funny you guys mention just taking crew breaks as the admiral said the same, she figures 2 hours max before she wants to go down and use the head and grab a snack and she would prefer to not be down below while on plane. 

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea   Coffie?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    @randy56 it was 9am when made the post :)
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I went with "simrek halo max" drive showers this year. I would stop for dipping after maximum of 1.5 hrs of cruising,  (imo) the catalyst lower units run hotter from exhaust.  I have noticed the top areas of the drive's were starting to discolor from heat (imo). So, to take the worry out of it I installed the showers. It definitely works, As I look down at the performance while underway I can see the entire unit is being engulfed with water.
    video of performance coming soon
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Alswagg said:
    Handy your full speed is a slow cruise for everyone else. Lol 
    Really Al, Really?
  • Options
    The gassers are afraid to go full speed any longer than 10 minutes. 
  • Options
    @Handymans342 that's all us gasser can afford at 35 gal per hour.The old story of the turtle and the hare.It not about the destination it's about the journey  B)B)B)B)B)
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    My drive shower hits my swim platform support if the drive is all the way up, and pivoted to the left side. It wasn't discovered until I slightly bent the drive shower. I now make sure the drive is angled the other way for transporting on the trailer! 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I was concerned of possible overheating of B3 lower units. I was given some advice to install and some advice it's not necessary to install. So, I went with the install advice. I did a 4 hour cruise with no overheating issues. Some manufacturers and dealers install before delivery. After studying my results I recommend to install.

Watch "DRIVE SHOWERS" on YouTube
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I dont think you can go wrong by installing them. That said I started this thread before taking a trip. I ran 3 hours north and stopped twice to dip and pee for about 5 minutes. No overheating issues. Then coming home I did 3.5 hours south and I stopped only once for 5-8 minutes to dip and pee. No overheating issues. A Chapperal 310 did this trip with me and he has B3's with no showers and he never stopped to dip (or pee :smile: ) and he also had no overheating issues. I may still install showers for next year just for peace of mind but between my results and a guy doing the same trip without stopping and no issues I think a couple of 4 hour runs a year would be ok, believe @Stodge just did some 4 hour runs without showers or issues. 

If I do them, I will be looking in to these showers. $67.00 each:

http://www.eddiemarine.com/shop/drive-accessories/drive-showers/drive-shower-bravo-alpha-rigid-right-hand 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I installed my first drive shower starting back in 1987.....and many more since. They do work amazingly well.

If you are getting a chalky white residue on the top of your drive (the top cap) that means it is getting hot. Also if (as Al says) your drive lube reservoir is hot to the touch.

IMO just "dipping" the drive for 10 minutes is less effective that stopping, and running the drive at idle 800rpm +/_ for 10 minutes or so because that not only  submerges the drive but also circulates water throughout it better.

Also do remember that B lll drives have an awesome cooling cap - designed for high heat - particularly the X drives and XR drives.

IMO (like Al said) use high quality drive lube - which I always changed every year - and always monitor its level. I also checked its color and smell.

It also depends on the rpm you are spinning those babies at. If you are on a long cruise at an engine rpm of 3400 those drives will purr along all day.

That said, for the sake of cooling, I can think of no better way to cool the drive tower cap than with drive showers.

BTW - the drive showers I used were more for severe duty applications: high speed runs, long days of water skiing/tubing - but - not needed, IMO, for my twin engine B lll X  drive cruisers.
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    If it makes you feel better, install them.  I've had B-3 & B-2 drives for 11 years.  I do many long trips (some 5-6 hours at a time) without stopping.  My gear lube is still greenish at the end of the year when I change it out and I've put 70-80 hrs per year and never have to add lube.  No showers on them.  As mentioned, good gear lube and changing it regularly is the best medicine for it. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    You guys, I'll keep asking this question in hopes of someday getting an answer.  Where is the evidence that drive showers are needed on normal boats?

Just to be clear, I'm defining "normal" as a typical express cruiser with healthy outdrives, driven 40-80 hours a year at normal cruise speeds with regular maintenance.  You know ... like the boats that people on this forum own.  I'm not talking about some high-strung, overpowered go-fast boat.  

People say things like "I have white residue, so my drive is overheating."  To me, that only proves that the drive is warm enough to make sea water evaporate and leave a residue.  It doesn't prove that the gear lube is overheating.