Importance of Anchor/Chain/Rode Inspection

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
Recent posts on windlass issues, and noticing that the last few times I raised anchor my chain was binding in the gypsy a bit, I thought it a good idea to pull everything out of the locker and take a look. While berthed nose in I dropped the anchor to the dock and once past the 15 foot chain was able to lift the control arm and start pulling the rope up out of the locker. Wow!......what a mess. Mud, dead sea creatures, weeds and general crud. Worst part was realizing that the rope was so badly twisted up that it was self-knotting and I would have never been able to drop anchor in deeper water if needed in a hurry. It took about 25 trips down below deck to reach in the locker and un-twist, un-knot and un-tangle the rope and then back topside to keep pulling it all through.
When finally all out I was able to hose everything off, wipe it down and by repeatedly running the rope out while pulling out the twists I was able to get it all straightened out. I was also able to see that the rope to chain braid was worn badly and needs to be re-braided before I lose an anchor and chain. Generally the rope itself was in good condition once the mud and mould was wiped off it.
This is now going to be a semi-annual inspection/maintenance point for me.
When was the last time you had it all out?
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's a good item to have on the inspection list. At the beginning of last season I had mine out so I can mark it every 10 feet.
    2008 330EC
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My new line this year is now slipping at the transition from rope to chain.... Arggg.. Have been too lazy to check where to get parts for it, figure I'll start by replacing the grabber wheel thing
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    Yes, it's a good item to have on the inspection list. At the beginning of last season I had mine out so I can mark it every 10 feet.
    Had thought of doing the same thing....but even standing on my toes I can't see the rope playing out from the helm. Would only work if I stand up on the deck while someone else operates the windlass which isn't always possible. 
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    I want to mark mine also, who has found what to use for best results in remaining on the rope? I've heard people using colored tape based on footage sent out but I figure the tape would be chewed off by the gypsy.

@Willhound - one reason the investment of foot switches was one to make last year. So much easier with the Admiral at the helm working position and me at the bow dropping, placement, locking the clutch and tying off.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--anchor-rode-markers--104372?recordNum=1 

These markers stick out a bit from the rode, so you can see them better.  Cheap, easy to install, durable, won't tangle.  

My most important rode marker is the fact that I have 60 feet of chain.  When I stop hearing the rattle of the chain, I know I have 60 feet out.  
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭

These are good for 3 strand, I have 8 plait, may not be as compatible. I may go for colored whipping twine instead.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used black electrical tap for years. I figured if it gets chewed up I'll just replace it. It is still on my old 270 docked right behind me. Now I'm using the same think on my 342. I put some at 20' and two sections at 40' of rope and so on. I have 20' chain so 1st tape is 40' out and 2nd tape is 60' out. This also help measure from the water line to the bottom.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    I actually used red electrical tape and used a sharpie for the numbering. I also used shoe goo to seal off the end of the electrical tape to secure it.
    2008 330EC
    @willhound even if you can't see it at least you will know how much you have out when you go up on the bow.
    2008 330EC
    True. And usually I do go up while the Admiral runs the switch. Occasionally I'm by myself.
    Shopping around for a fid so I can resplice my rope to chain. When I do I'll Mark off the rope too. 
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take rode out every winter. Let it dry. Clean it up. 

I spray painted orange marks every 10' on the rope portion.  Works decen. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I soak mine in a 5 gal bucket with downy. Cleans and softens the line.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO a great piece of advice I received years ago regarding rode maintenance was to use my charts or chartplotter to find a spot in clear/clean water deeper than my rode and play it all out. Leave it out for a while to let the anchor spin to straighten-out any twists/kinks. When reeling it in hose it off if you have a hose able to reach the bow - my EC 360 did. I have even seen skippers with a hose and a brush cleaning off the rode while the Admiral reels it in. If you don't have a hose use a long handled brush with medium-stiff bristles to clean the rode.  Do this a few times a season for good rode health.
    Reviving this thread from last summer because it's relevant. I had pulled the anchor rode out of the locker last fall in anticipation of re-tying the rode to chain splice over the winter and cleaning up the rope. Today was the day. When I started playing out the rode to start cleaning it, I found this.....and of course at almost exactly the centre point of the line. I'd like to try and fix it, but deep down I realize it's probably time to just change it. I had been saving some boat bucks for a new stereo this year, but I guess that'll have to wait.
    Any idea what caused it so I don't do it again? I did have some pretty bad twists to contend with when I pulled the rode out, I suspect it was likely twisted and caught on the gypsy.
    The two snags are about two feet apart with the second pic being a closer shot of the worst one.
    Yes I think time for new one. That would be bad if it let go in the middle night.
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inspection is on my list ... much easier before launch than after.
    From what I can see from the Simpson Lawrence manual I found, this one should work?
    https://www.marineoutfitters.ca/index.cfm?product=44730805&code=Titan 10525082
    edited February 2018
    Sorry Folks. Just noticed the link isn't working. Try this one.

https://www.pocomarine.com/shop/titan-anchor-rode-150′-58″-8-strand-plaited-nylon-rope-50′-516″-g4-windlass-chain/

This is supposed to fit the RC0860 gypsy which I believe l have. It was the most common I beleive.  Can't get to boat for a few weeks, does anybody know if that was the case for a 2000 era FV270?
    Bumping this back up. I have to pull the trigger on the deal I found on the anchor rode and chain before I miss it, but can't get to where boat is to check the gypsy. Has anyone ever seen on their 270 with Horizon 600  that the 5/16" chain didn't work?
    Agghhhh! Fiddlesticks! I may have just blown $400 on the rode and chain I ordered. Was finally able to get to the boat today and my gypsy is marked RC0761, not RC0860 as I thought. So according to the Simpson-Lawrence manual it should be 1/2" Rope with 1/4" chain. But I will swear that using a vernier caliper my existing rope is bigger than 1/2" and chain bigger than 1/4". So now I don't know what to think. The one I ordered is on the way, so can't cancel it. What I may end up doing is trying it and see if it works. Gypsy is a little worn anyway. And if it doesn't, I can either try and sell it for whatever I can get back out of it and order the other one, or might make more sense to change out the gypsy. More $$ but then I have a new rode and a new gypsy. Make sense?
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound, maybe a blessing in disguise. The gypsies tend to be undersized on smaller cruisers and you may be very wise to up-grade it's size to match the chain - especially given the price of the chain. That way you'd have an awesome system. Respectful suggestion: before ordering a new gypsy check its amperage draw to confirm that your present wiring gauge, breaker and battery can sustain it.
    Thanks for that @Michael T but what I meant was just the gypsy drum itself, not the whole windlass. A quick web search is showing me this might not be possible either as it looks like a replacement gypsy is almost impossible to find.
    @gack did the same thing last if I remember. Check his posts
  • gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    I tried 2 different rode/chains last year but rode kept slipping and anchor would not come up without a lot of up/down on the switch.  Finally changed to all chain and problem solved.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So how would you cut the chain if you had to in an emergency?
    @gack did you end up changing your gypsy? I've been all over the web to see what is available and not finding much. I think they used the same gypsy's in the Lewmar Pro Fisher series so I've sent a message to Lewmar to see if I can get one and if they are compatible with my Horizon 600.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be careful of these monsters eating your rode. LOL
  • gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    @Willhound I did not need to change the gypsy, 
    Well, the chain and rode I ordered should be in tomorrow and I'll compare it to what I have now (and that worked). I swear that when I measured it I saw 5/16 chain and 5/8 rope. Which shouldn't work with my RC7061 gypsy. But the gypsy is worn a bit so I'm thinking that a P.O. may have already changed out the rode prior. If not, I should be able to return it but it'll cost me an extra $140 In shipping back and forth. Would be my own fault for not double checking the gypsy before ordering.