Options

stern anchor

brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
what size stern anchor and line does everyone use? would you change it?
1994 300fv "General Madness"

Comments

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a med/small danforth that hangs on my fender holder. It is only used for stern-to anchoring when backing up to a beach. Handy and a good size for it's use but not really enough as a backup hook in an emergency. Overall I'm happy with it.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    I just ordered (should be delivered today) a 14lb danforth for the bedonkeedonk.. the 7#'r just wasn't getting it unless I literally bury it just right.. as in, by hand/foot... that is pretty frustrating for a simple anchoring, especially when you're short handed..

the 14#'r up front does the job easily.. I like easy... :-)
  • Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    I use the same as Tiki
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    So you guy's anchor off of the stern? If you have a genny I would be very careful doing this. By anchoring off the stern your cabin will fill up with your genny exhaust and we all know what that could do..... Just my 2 cents....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I toss forward and back down with the danforth up front, and hope to set and pull in the under equipped danforth at aft, and by hand.. it's good for anchoring on beach in traffic, when tide and current are in play..

I as of this posting have two 14# danforths.. one on the bow, the other in a box on my doorstep.. so, no more frustrating setting of line, and no more breaking free under current.. me digs that notion..
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod

I've got a danforth that at one time was my main anchor for my 24'.  It is either the 14# or an 18# (I can't remember, but I know it is bigger than a bow anchor for a mid 30' & seems very heavy) with 150' of line.  I've had it hold thru some extreme storms with several boats rafted up with no problem. 

I'd love to have a fortress, so I could take it apart after use and they are much lighter.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    ithacarinkithacarink Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Mike, do you travel with your anchor there? It doesn't bang around and tear up the fender holder? I have a little anchor I stow in my stern port side small compartment. Be nice to free up that room. Nick
  • Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Ray - we anchor at the beach a lot. Stern to the beach - anchor bow and stern to prevent sway. We spend a lot of time partying on the beach! :D
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Ray, Good point on the genset and CO but we fully understand that the genset only runs for any duration when we anchor from the bow. Like PM we also anchor at the beach to hang out using the bow/stern anchor when we do.

Ithaca, I hang my Danforth on a SS 3/8" bolt held on the holder by a pair of nuts/washers, while the bolt head and another large fender washer slide up the flukes near the anchor hinge. The weight of the anchor rests on the holder at the flange at the anchor head so the bolt only holds it in place not supporting the weight and it rides like a champ. Easy to access, out of the way and readily available for a quick deployment by the Admiral.

It's been there over a year even when I trailer the boat and there's no wear or chance of it jumping off accidentaly. Hope that is somewhat clear. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I was anchored this last Memorial day weekend in a tight cove and a stern anchor would have been nice.  My buddy with a stern anchor barely moved as I was going with the current.  

Do you think a 14lb Danforth is sufficient for a 2006 270?  Says for boats up to 31ft but we all know the 270 is on the heavy side.  

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could explain how to set a stern anchor and attach to the boat.  How much to pay out? Chain and rode or just rode? Attach to a cleat?

Thank you

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    The Main ExchangeThe Main Exchange Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭
    I use the original Danforth anchor from the bow for the stern anchor. I set the new Delta bow anchor and then take the inflatable out drop the stern anchor and tie off to a rear cleat. Works great.  

2007 300 EC, 350 Mags, B3's, Table Rock Lake, MO

• Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    I always throw a rear anchor I usually spend night on water if wind was to change an no rear anchor it could pull your bow anchor out. Also stops me from moving on a windy day such as this past weekend. People without stern anchor had Trouble!
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    bella-vita do you run your genny??? If so you are putting yourself at risk big time. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    why is that Raybo?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    If you run a genny and your anchored front and back the boat can not "spin" with the wind. You will be at risk for carbon monoxide.
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Ahhhh makes sense. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Yeah could be very deadly......... 
  • Options

Bella, you should be able to keep a bow anchor in without the stern.  Just make sure you have at least a 7-1 rhode out.

Patrick, a 14# Danforth should be fine for what you are doing and can also act as an emergency anchor if need be.  As far as how much to pay out, the more the better (both bow and stern).  I use a 150' one off the back.  Most of the time I use all of that length.  You also need to note that the tidal change.  If it's low tide when you set your anchors, you might want to leave a little slack.  If you use 150' of rhode (bow and stern), then that should be able to adjust for the tide.

Some chain on the stern is good too.  I have 8 or 10 feet of chain on mine.  This lets it set on the bottom.  Setting it, well, you can either swim with it (if at a beach area, not too bad - make sure to use a life jacket, also putting one on the anchor helps too) or you can use a dinghy to take it out and set it.  & finally, I attach it to a cleat.  I use an extension cord reel for my line.

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three things about a stern anchor: 1. If you enter an anchorage with the other boats using only bow anchors it may not be appropriate to set a stern anchor. maritime rule4s dictate that the first boat at an anchorage sets (if safely) the tone. Therefore boats using only bow anchors will "swing" with the wind. We had a guy set a stern anchor neat my marina. he was hit overnight by two different boats that had only bow anchors. they had anchored well in advance. he had to pay for his damages plus theirs. I say he because his insurance company refused to pay for any of it.  2. never use a stern anchor if using your generator as the boat will not be able to swing with the wind and keep the CO blown away from the boat. 3. If using a stern anchor always stay near the boat and watch the wind conditions. If you want to see some hilarious videos just watch some dufus try to pull a stern anchor with waves rolling over the transom into his boat.....stern anchors, never liked them. A properly set bow anchor reduces boat roll and is much safer IMO.
  • Options
    I use a stern anchor every time I anchor- but I do so on a beach where boats are moored parallel to each other and perpendicular to the beach (or slightly off perpendicular depending on direction of current)... 

If I were anchored aboard, I'm thinking I'd use single, and I'm thinking I'd have words with someone who came within a few combined boat lengths of me and anchored..... 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

Drew, I agree with 95% of what you said, but I have been at too many moorings to count and the bow anchored boats all swing together if a wind whips up without any drama. It works like a charm unless someone has not followed suit.

Stern anchoring when alone, without a genny in use, no problem. Off a beach, no problem - as long as you keep an eye on the water conditions.....a stern held down in rising waves is a viral video in the making!

P.S. Drew I do agree 100% that no one should be a couple of boat lengths from you - ever. But with a rode of 7:1 or better yet 8:1 a boat can have it's line lifted real fast in a wind gust and that's a lot of rode and chain if it gets pulled straight - the boats can move some distance - as long as everyone can swing together no drama!

• Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    I don't run genny when sleeping 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options

It was fun recently watching the blue angels.  Mid-way thru the day, the wind changed directions.  You could tell those of us that had more rode out.  Literally thousands of boats in a small area, all swinging pretty well & depths ranged from 5ft to 40ft.  I had a little more swing than some of my neighbors, but it was ok (had more rode out).  When I went to leave, my anchor was almost right under another boat.  The look on their face when my bow was pulling anchor over their stern was priceless. :)

we don't have a very large tide change here, so not a huge deal with a lot of rhode out.  I only use stern at the beach areas.  & yes, you need to notice what others have done in the area and follow suit.  Crazy that someone would not notice a boat using stern around others that aren't.  Definitely agree that boat should pay.

• Options
    gtyeegtyee Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    I just tie a rope to my boys and throw them overboard and keep the pressure..
  • Options
    thanks John and everyone for the info.  Going to go with a 14lb Danforth.  I usually just do bow but everyone around me was using a stern as well.  We were very close to the beach.  I even nudged sand a few times.

John in a crowded place like that, Im guessing just using a bow anchor?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    gtyee said:
    I just tie a rope to my boys and throw them overboard and keep the pressure..
    part of me really wants you to explain this to me, and the other part wants no part of it... 

MT, and DI- I've seen anchor under the fourth boat up from the boat anchored- that ain't a biggie... what IS a biggie, is nobody has business anchoring in open water less than twice the combined length of both boats away from me- it's just rude- you may as well raft up... and, it gives both parties ample time to recognize an abrupt change to the current/tide/wind... 

I've never been a pirate before, but someone approaching that close would give cause to accept their friendship at least as long as it took to plunder their rum, no? 
  • Options
    So you saying @212rowboat you anchor 4 boat lengths away from another boat...Say your boat is 10ft and other boat is 10ft, you anchor 40ft away?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    overnight anchor and don't know them?  

yup.... 

I'm sure there is a point where it ceases to matter- like, maybe 100', but I've no interest in being that close to someone unless I know them or want to know them... I'd certainly, if they were there first and I wanted to anchor closer- ask them first.  

of course, it's not like I hook on my 212.... on the beach I could often walk the full length of the beach thirty feet off the beach and not get wet... 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    When a raftup gets too big and heavy for a single anchor, it's common to put out multiple bow anchors combined with stern anchors.  The stern anchors prevent the raftup from swinging, which would tangle the bow anchors.  

It gets tricky at crowded events like 4th of July.  Other captains don't always recognize that the big raftup won't swing.  If they anchor too close, mayhem often ensues.  BTDT.  
  • Options

Patrick, in a crowded place, yes typically just bow anchor.

rowboat, I know what you are saying about anchoring close and I agree.  Only times when that is just not possible is big events going on for a just a few hours with tons of people.  Take a look at my blue angels topic.  There were literally thousands of boats in a small area.  & yes, no big deal having an anchor under someone else's boat.  Just funny they had no idea it was there as I pulled up.  I had a large crew on the boat and I said watch the captain on the other boat.  He was oblivious to me pulling up and had no thoughts my anchor would be under him (let alone didn't even think of moving or pulling his raft in floating behind him).

LaRea, you definitely bring up a good point about large raft ups.  I've had some large ones on just my anchor so we could still swing.  Typically when we use more than one anchor, we try to do it somewhere backing near land so we don't get in anyone's way when they swing.  & yes, we always use a stern with morn than one bow anchor (I've had the ole' tangle of anchor lines & it's not fun).

It's also funny at times when I politely warn someone anchoring close that our raft up won't move.  I mention they can just tie on as well :) .  Lots of times they do that (as rowboat mentioned).  Just more rum coming in from another boat! :)