Options

How much water in the bilge is normal?

2»

Comments

• Options
    summer_flingsummer_fling Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Update: I sucked the water out of the bilge with a wet vac and cleaned it and found a stuck float AND the hose was kinked. I changed the pump....bought a Rule again because I can't change the screwed down holder/strainer.... And got the one that turns on every 2 minutes and checks against current draw. I cut out the float switch. I can't remove it because I can't get to the screws--annoying. I re-routed the hose to avoid a kink, and added a check valve. Much drier.

The iPhone camera survey shows me that the paint on pan is flaking off from being wet all the time. Hope to paint it without an engine pull. It is aluminum.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,464 admin
    Make sure you rewire the pump so it has voltage all the time. The old way the pump only saw voltage if the float was up or with the switch on the dash.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    some of you like me find water in the bilge and scratch your head wondering were it came from. one of mine long time unsolved now solved issues was the bilge pump hose to the outside of the boat. in some heavy seas the water spraying from the hull near stern would hit the outlet just right and force water back down the hose and into the bilge. I ended up putting a higher bend at the top which helped but still get water from time to time (maybe a few table~spoons). especially when she is loaded with fuel, gear and people.

hope that helps someone solve their water mystery....

LG
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was getting that same problem from the mid-board bilge and behind the shower area on my 342. Water flowing back in in heavy seas, not a lot but not good. I changed my thru hulls to 90 degree type and put in an upside-down U to stop it. The hoses were only single clamped and one was loose. So far so good this year.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI