Options

Harbor Headlines

rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
Crazy 24 hours in our harbor, don't think they are connected...

Body Found In Diversey Harbor
https://www.google.com/amp/abc7chicago.com/amp/body-found-in-diversey-harbor-officials-say/2411382/

And this...

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ......very sad, a boater's nightmare. Then there's the possibility of foul play as well.  :-(

• Options
    And this is released on the same day. Only in Chicago...

• Options
    .....ONLY in Chicago!
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Sorry to say we are moving out of Chicago's harbor system next season to Waukegan.  Slip prices are $2600 cheaper...but I will miss that skyline.  Luckily it's only an hour and a half cruise.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Sorry to see you go. Wondering what you will net out on slip fees after fuel costs.  It's a city condo for us, especially w parking. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $2600 a month for a slip? No way! Any idea what caused the boat to sink? Bellows? Good insurance policy?
  • Options
    Yeah I hear ya.  Wife and I thought of it as a city condo as well and live at the harbor every weekend so we get our money's worth, but being that we have our first little one on the way we aren't sure how much usage we will get out of the boat next season vs the cost of a city slip.

Usually on a cruise to Waukegan about 35 miles on a decent wave day I'll burn about 1/4 tank of fuel each way....add in some chop and of course it gets worse.

But harbor amenities are different too.  Free dock box, no additional fee's for dingies, cable tv hookup at the dock and the area in general are really trying to cater to boaters and make the harbor a focal point.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @rasbury.  I pay $4300 for my slip currently.  Next year I'll be paying $1700

That's for the season not a month LOL
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
  • Options
    oh, sorry, see it was for the season.....!
  • Options
    I spend $1080.00 a year to store my boat on a trailer so $1700.00 would be a deal for me as well although I don't like leaving it in the water for that long.....most of our transient rates around central Florida are around 2 bucks a foot- a lot of the city owned ones are even less.  Once I build back up some vacation time I want to get more on the intercostal around here and do more exploring than I have been able to since we purchased this boat...we did more in our bow rider!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skennelly said:
    Yeah I hear ya.  Wife and I thought of it as a city condo as well and live at the harbor every weekend so we get our money's worth, but being that we have our first little one on the way we aren't sure how much usage we will get out of the boat next season vs the cost of a city slip.

Usually on a cruise to Waukegan about 35 miles on a decent wave day I'll burn about 1/4 tank of fuel each way....add in some chop and of course it gets worse.

But harbor amenities are different too.  Free dock box, no additional fee's for dingies, cable tv hookup at the dock and the area in general are really trying to cater to boaters and make the harbor a focal point.
    When the admiral and I found out she was preggers, we decided to make sure the little first mate didn't change our boating lifestyle. We still go to the boat every weekend and our daughter loves it. She is 2 years, 9 months old now and if I say the word boat, she is all over it. Our boat is slipped 40 minutes away, so it isn't that bad getting to it. We got a "pack and play" that is made by Guava and it fits perfectly on the V berth of our 280EC. When she was younger, and we were out for the day and nap time was near, I would fold the aft cabin mattress over and place the Guava in there, then set her in it. That way we were able to still use the head and kitchen without really disturbing her nap. We have a couple portable clip on fans that we use to keep the cabin cool if I don't want to drag out my portable generator. Your little one will love growing up on the boat. Don't let them being around deter you from using the boat. Drag them along. We have loved having her aboard!!! BTW, congratulations!!!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @rasbury, in the Pittsburgh pool, we pay $90/foot for the season, which includes electric.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    on for a 270, for 6 months that is 14 grand? Down here in FL, I could put mine in a marina ( at least in the city I live) for about 400 bucks a month including power and pump out and keep it there year round. That's amazing! And then 2500 bucks to winterize it, you have to love boating to be in it up north, that's for sure...no wonder why we have so many marinas full of boats that never move, pretty cheap rent!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Yeah, boating is not inexpensive. For me, (EC 310 and EC 360) it was $2,500.00 for the summer slip, $2,500.00 for indoor winter storage, $500.00 in lock fees and about $2,000.00 to winterize it - the way I had it done - more if anything was wrong. Another $200.00 on waxes, polishes etc.  Then it was $1,000.00 to fill her up and at 23 mpg cruise do the math on fill-ups for six months of boating. Still, money I was glad to spend as boating is one of the last frontiers of freedom!
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg - Oh trust me we can't wait for out little one to be on the boat and enjoy it like we do...I just can't justify paying that kind of money just to be in the city.  If we have a weekend where we can't make it to the boat I won't feel as bad..LOL.

@rasbury - Where are you getting your numbers..LOL 14 grand for 6 months in a slip?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    @skennelly, check out that Guava crib.https://www.guavafamily.com/ I will grab a photo of it in place this weekend for you. I understand not wanting to pay those rates.

@rasbury, it's $2500 for the season, not per month. The season runs from May 1st to October 15th.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Some of you guys are getting off cheap, especially being located near a major city. My marina is very low-key, not really any amenities (no pool, no bar/food, open slips, hydro but no potable water and I pay $2700 in USD with 30 Amp service for my FV270.
    That includes winter storage out in the open, but not haul out and blocking which is about another $600 and another $600 for shrink wrap if I want it. Winterizing also extra, depending on what you want done. And we're about the least expensive marina on the lake. I have been checking out Florida marina's with an eye towards retirement and find it very appealing dollar wise.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol you guys need to join a boat club. All in I pay 540 bucks per year for membership + keeping mine on a mooring.  This year I've been in the mooring dock (dock for mooring holders only to pull up to) for almost all summer because the other boats didn't go out on their moorings.. power and water included!
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Yikes. I pay $42/foot for the summer in the Pittsburgh area. With electric it is about $1300 for my 25' boat for the season. I store it underground for about $300 for the winter and winterize myself. That said, including $2000 for new canvas I spent about $5000 this whole season. I do know that my next boat will heavily inflate those numbers.
  • Options
    @skennelly, I put in eye bolts reinforced with 2x4 under the v berth so we could put our infants car seat in the cabin. Add some fans and they are good to go for nap time, etc. It was the best of both worlds, in the playpen!

My 270 is $3500 at a great downtown Chicago harbor that includes parking.  $1K heated storage,$300 winterization, I haul it around.  I budget $7K+ annually before it gets wet...
  • Options
    @rinker270nb - Nice idea about the car seat.  The great city of Chicago penalizes non city residents an additional 25% tax on the slip fee and I live in the burbs...that results in $800.

Where do you pay $1k for heated storage?  I pay $1300 for unheated inside storage up north.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Most places within 20 miles of DC charge $120-$180 per foot for a season.  At our awesome little neighborhood marina, it's only $42/foot.  Of course, there's no staff or restaurant, and we use volunteer labor for almost everything.  But it's a screaming bargain compared to any other place around here.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is Mark Warner close to you?
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    I think Sen. Warner lives in Old Town Alexandria.  I do see Sen. George Allen walking our street now and then, but it's not really that sort of neighborhood.  It's mostly modest homes built in the 60's.  The high-rent district is just north of us.

There are some huuuuuge homes on the river.  One of the mansions is probably 30,000 square feet.  Sadly, in 20+ years, I've never seen a human there.  
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark Warner lives up on The hill over looking Belle Haven Country Club. I used to talk to him when I saw him there. We did catch his daughter on Video stealing food. LOL
  • Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    Mine is 135 per foot for the summer slip and 45 per foot fur winter storage outdoors. Rhode Island. Shrink, wax, bottom paint and winterizing all extra
  • Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    Worth every penny to me. I love boating!