Options

Conversation With A World Cruiser

2»

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MarkB said:

I'm going to guess that Fleming 70 is wider in beam than my 260EC was in LOA. LOL. That's one big boat! I wonder how much fuel it can hold? That would be one hefty gas station bill.

Sounds like a great experience MT. Enjoy your travels.

Mark, look at their website. They are great boats
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Mark, we're travelling a lot these days. Don't know the fuel capacity - google here I come!
  • Options
    3000 Gallons. Easy for MT to fill up
  • Options
    WOW! waaaay outa my league.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    MarkB said:

I'm going to guess that Fleming 70 is wider in beam than my 260EC was in LOA. LOL. That's one big boat! I wonder how much fuel it can hold? That would be one hefty gas station bill.

Sounds like a great experience MT. Enjoy your travels.

Your boat is still longer than its width :) (barely).  ~22' if I remember right.  I do know the big girl takes 3k gallons of fuel, but can go a long way!  It has a very impressive engine room!!  (yes, I've gotten inside and drooled)  I was talking to an owner over the summer and he said she'll get up and scoot darn close to 18kts if she had to!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    ....apparently it will do 18+ knots with twin 1550 HP man Diesels.....pretty impressive for a 78 FOOT boat.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Can you imagine the GPH at that speed?   :o 

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, just to put that fuel capacity in perspective ... in Toronto, $17000 Canadian to fill, almost $14000 USD.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    $8,070 to fill up in Florida at current diesel price.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's only $3 a mile 
    Full tank can make it 2500 miles
    My 342 cost $4 a mile darn gasser 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    That's only $3 a mile 
    Full tank can make it 2500 miles
    My 342 cost $4 a mile darn gasser 
    LOL
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Michael T, what a great story. That is one beautiful yacht. I would love to see one up close and in person. It is good to hear that we have some lurkers out there that love our forum and think it is full of great information.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    On a displacement hull, the longer LOA the more speed/economy the boat can produce generally. A 50' sailboat will outperform a 25' sailboat with the same sail-to-weight ratio. Same is true on a 75' boat, hence the $3 per mile operating cost.
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remembered this thread about the Fleming line when I came across this review today for a Fleming 58:
    http://www.boattest.com/review/fleming-yachts/3690_58
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    @willhound - that is a great review!  8-10 more years!  55 or 58!!

• Options
    Thanks @Willhound - WOW - what an amazing boat! No wonder the guy I talked with loved his 78!
  • Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    Wow, 20 knots at 82GPH, thats what your Rinker does Dream LOL
  • Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    Wow, 20 knots at 82GPH, thats what your Rinker does Dream LOL

You can be pretty funny at times Handy!

• Options
    It is a neat video to watch. Looks so nice cutting through the water. Would love to see what it looks like in some rollers...
  • Options
    Willhound said:
    It is a neat video to watch. Looks so nice cutting through the water. Would love to see what it looks like in some rollers...

I've seen them in some 3-4 ft chop on the bay (which is a bit rough for me).  Looks the same as the video for the Fleming.

• Options
    I have to admit, I didn't have time at first to watch the entire video. Just did now. Got me thinking, "I wonder what this thing is worth, would $4Mill do it?"
    A google search shows a base of around $2.9M US, but with the usual options added, around $3.6M - so yeah, $4M would do it by the time you fill the tanks and outfit her for a cruise.......come on Lottery!
  • Options
    @willhound - right now my wife & I are seriously considering the 55 for our next boat (8-10 yrs out) and those used come in somewhere in the $400-700k area.  It's not quite as nice as the 58 or of course 78, but pretty good.

• Options
    Look at Jefferson's too. 
  • Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    @willhound - right now my wife & I are seriously considering the 55 for our next boat (8-10 yrs out) and those used come in somewhere in the $400-700k area.  It's not quite as nice as the 58 or of course 78, but pretty good.
    Still pretty nice. And it's all relevant..........a food friend spent over 500K on a class A motorhome.... 
    and it doesn't float! B)
  • Options
    IF you watched the performance data the statistics were very enlightening. The boat uses a lot less fuel with twin engines than a smaller single engine and will go much faster. Of course there is the added cost of a second engine BUT the boat is an open water world cruiser so I would want a second engine anyway and you would sure make up a lot of money on fuel savings over the years. A slip mate's Rinker EC 350 with 377 Mags burned a LOT more fuel at cruise (say 34/35 MPH) than my (former) 2014 Rinker EC 360 with twin 502 Mags. The Fleming data just reminds me of what I have seen time and again - don't buy an clearly underpowered boat. If not sure ask questions. Thanks for posting the link -  @Willhound!
  • Options
    Man all you guys are just itching to join the Diesel family LOL
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

Locked through the dam today with a 50 Jefferson, travelers, they were on day 11, coming from the Pittsburgh area, over 700 miles,  on Allegheny River, heading to Ft Meyers  FL for a month, then on to St Tomas for the winter. Three retired guys, all buddy's, one interesting thing, wish I took a picture for you, they had a extra 300 gal fuel balder, mounted on the front of the boat, on the hood if you will. The boat had about 700 gallon of Diesel tanks on board, but they said there would be area's were fuel supply was short and needed the extra 300. I ask them what there avg cruse speed was? 12 knots. Great day to be on the water!
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    I did my last fuel up yesterday and there was a 2000 55 Fleming there. I chatted with the captain and his wife. They have owned it for 3 years and love it. He was winterizing and said how easy it was to maintain. They've been all up and down the was coast. He does all the maintenance and anything he needs help on he just calls them here in Annapolis and the guide him thru it. Oh, and he just turned 70 yrs old. :)