Options

Adding swim platform to FV270

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    F1100 beautiful swim platform!  That really makes the best part of the boat even better!  It looks like it's always been there and gives plenty of room, even out to the corners!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    Yeah they really do add alot of space to the boat. Plus a good spot for the BBQ as well. And it does not interfere with the boat getting up on plane either. I was a bit worried when I saw how close to the water it was. It basically makes the boat up to modern standards. Not bad for a boat I bought for 18k.
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I'm super stoked, new platform should be ready for next weekend. Going to use 3M 5200 to adhere to existing platform along with the screws, but what about sealing the crack along the inside edge? Was thinking 3M 4000 but how is that for clean up? Can I run a bead and just smooth it out easily like regular caulking? Or is it going to be a sticky mess? Suggestions?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Inside edge against the transom? Don't think mine has anything or see why'd you would need it ..
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn’t bother sealing the inside edge, mine doesn’t have any sealant there. I would put some 5200 around each bolt hole between the transom and platform, then goop up the bolts.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Hmm. Any I've ever seen have sealer where the edge meets the contours of the boat to finish off the edge as per this example I borrowed from @F1100.
  • Options
    Mine has more of a finished edge and boarder than the one picture above. Also , with it not sealed water has no place to pool it drains right off.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    I have no idea what they used when they installed it. If you call lefroy harbor tech guys they may be able to tell you. "bun" installed it
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    When I install heavy glass shower enclosures, I run masking tape on both sides of any seams, leaving about 1/8" exposure, then run my silicone, smooth with finger & pull the tape. Leaves an almost invisible and and attractive finish.
  • Options
    That’s how I seal panels on the aircraft I work on. It takes some time to lay the tape, but well worth the outcome. I try to tape off evevery thing I seal now.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Thanks guys, yep, I know the tricks for the clean line. What I don't know is if the 3M 4000 acts like more of an adhesive, or more like silicone? Will it smooth nice or stick like rat sh!t? I was thinking of using 4000 because I saw a post lately (maybe Dream Inn?) that said it doesn't yellow in the sun.
  • Options
    mine does not have an edge that butts up that smooth but I can see running a bead of something along the one above.....
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    You can also try dipping your fingertip into whatever solvent is recommended for 3M 4000 so it will glide smoothly. Or alcohol or mineral spirits?
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    You can also try dipping your fingertip into whatever solvent is recommended for 3M 4000 so it will glide smoothly. Or alcohol or mineral spirits?
    That method works great 
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe how many people have boats without swim platforms, or tiny swim platforms more like a ledge. They are so useful and fun. The only downside to having one around here is that sea lions love to hang out on them.
    Andy
  • Options
    That would be cool! I worry about Gators coming up on mine...and they climb very well.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Gators, yikes! Sea lions are cool, except adult males in California weigh 600+lbs and the females 200+lbs. So a couple can break a swim platform. They make a mess and a racket too!
    Andy
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    @willhound yes it was me that recommended it.   I've been using 4000 the last couple weekends and it isn't too bad top work with.  A wet finger and it smooths ok.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Thanks @Dream_Inn. That's what I was wondering. 4000 it is.
  • Options
    walleyrwalleyr Member Posts: 34
    F1100 said:
    Here is my platform installed now..its great :) makes my boat a 36ft OAL now :) a few pics
    Looks really great. Like it!
  • Options
    Dang, you put a porch on the back!
  • Options
    F1100 did that last year. I'm still waiting to hear if mine will be ready for this weekend. Will be same size. Maybe 6 inches narrower side to side on my 270.
  • Options
    I have to get my new platform install finished for launch next week but it looks like rain for the next two days and cold. High of 44F. I have a full tube of SikaFlex provided by the platform supplier that I was going to use to both seal the support mounts below the waterline as well as to finish off the joint around the hull. I'd prefer to wait for better weather to do the upper bead on the hull so I don't want to have to open and burn a whole tube of Sika for 8 screw holes.
    Was thinking of using some 4200 I have for those, and I can do the top bead with Sika later, even after launch if need be.
    Thoughts?
    I was thinking that I could even pull the supports and re-bed if needed in fall or next spring, unless the 4200 is still good.
    OK, let me have it!
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your on the correct path, but do it wright, when weather permits', even if it means waiting a few day's to splash. Picture's after install.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    randy56 said:
    Your on the correct path, but do it wright, when weather permits', even if it means waiting a few day's to splash. Picture's after install.
    Wish I could Randy. Splash is included in slip fee but on the marina's scheduled day. I can wait, but an unscheduled splash on another day is $550.
  • Options
    not fair, foil play, why do you not have a choice? i'm guessing you do not have a trailer. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Correct. It's a small marina with virtually no staff and there's only about 10 of us that require unblock and haul so they schedule a day and bring in extra help and all the boats are splashed on the same day. If you're not ready or willing to go that day then they bring two guys in on another day but charge. Same as a lot of places charge for a mid season haul for unscheduled maintenance etc.
    It is what it is but has never been a problem until this crappy spring.
  • Options
    Despite the weather I was able to get the new platform installed and the mounts sealed. I'm happy for now, but will still have to caulk the seam at the hull when it warms up.
    I did spend about 3 hours with a buddy last week doing the trimming and fitting and getting the platform bolted down and then another 3 today mounting the support rods. Have never attempted this before but certainly doable by the average handy person. If I ever did it again I'm sure I could have it down to about 3 to 4 hours. It took a bit to figure out how to do a few things, and the best tip I could give anyone is put away the dremel and palm sander. It took a decent belt sander to do the final shaping and trimming to get a nice fit at the hull. For the supports I had to bend the flanges at the hull and measure and trim the rods. Drilling holes in the transom broke my heart, but I'm satisfied I got the holes sealed well. Here's the new platform being trimmed. My buddy and I must have lifted this thing up and down about 30 times to get it to where I was happy.

Clamped in place to mark, then down again to trim.

No vise available, so used this old post hole to bend the flanges along with a hammer and block of wood.

Support rods are mounted on the platform. Time to bite the bullet and drill the hull.

I started with a smaller bit, then the proper sized bit and then used a counter sink to clean up the edges so the gel coat wouldn't crack when tightening the screws.

Supports in place, hard to see, but plenty of 4200 sealer at the hull and at the platform connection too.

Sorry, no bikini pics, will have to wait for warmer weather. And still probably no bikini pics. It doesn't fit anymore... B)

• Options
    4 supports, nice, know what ya mean about drilling hole's in your boat.  Make's ya double check. I see the celebratory beer. with all the additional footage you do not have to get a bigger boat -  dance platform,  the weather does not look so good. 
    Boat Name :