Options

In Sweden they board the boat from the bow??

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
Guy in the facebook group posts this picture.. it looked odd to me (no bow rail, no swim platform, skinny slippery finger dock).... he says 95% of the time they board from the bow!! What's up with that??

Comments

• Options
    same guy posting more pictures LOL, they do some crazy stuff over there I guess...

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More impressed is a Volvo sedan pulling it. lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    We are lucky here in North America.  A marina without real finger piers would never sell around here.  
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the spring load line for tying to the finger.
    6 fenders on the bow and 2 on the sides.alwsys be prepared 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    That truck is very cool. 2 steering axles and a light bar to boot
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like he cut the front of his bow rail off also so they can get on from the bow.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, it would be a hazard early in the am or late evening after the due has fallen. A latter is a must. He is saving his good fenders for next year. How would you tie and untie? retrieve your lines? walk the plank? Guess we are spoiled with our wide docks. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shawnmjr said:
    That’s a big boat for a double axle trailer and a lot of weight hanging over the back. 
    That clearly isn't the correct trailer for the boat. I have a tandem axle trailer for my 280EC and the boat doesn't look like that on the trailer.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Yes he posted that he only moves it 35 meters on that trailer.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    There was a member on here from Finland a while back, and he had done a neat job of cutting an opening in the bow rail so he could enter and leave while the boat was beached.

Andy
  • Options
    I'm hoping to visit Gothenburg Sweden soon on business travel.  This is the biggest marina there ... 500 slips, zero finger piers.

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I get they do things different but why bow in and not a much safer stern boarding approach. Maybe you can ask a local. 
    Post edited by Ian on

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Maybe just the captain boards from the bow, then he brings the boat around to a designated loading dock?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Or it's an agility test.  If you can board, you can stay for the ride.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, all bow in....must be a reason, although I can't think of a good one...
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Maybe they don't use docks like we do to load people and items. Maybe they find it safer and easier to dock bow in and use a tender to get to the stern?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    And there's no way out of that marina so they don't go far. Like the laberanth. All bow in??
  • Options
    there's more slips there then all of CT. Sweden rock the boat world. They need a Rinker show room.
  • Options
    LoL, that's not true, my tiny boat club has 75 slips... 

But still the question is Seriously? Everyone board via the bow, all the time?? I can tell you that my older guests wouldn't be able to board the 270 and climb down.. it seems so silly to do that.. if no fingers to walk down I'd dock stern in, just like I always do.. 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lived in Europe for 4 years. In most places they don't have room to swing a cat. So no room for, in our opinion "decent" finger docks so they can fit a lot more people in. You should see some of the docking I have seen (like Mediterranean ports) where they use their slip mates' boats as trampolines and pin ball their way into position with guys frantically running around with big mooring balls....and I'm talking BIG yachts. Google it for a laugh......makes my former areas of marinas/docking look tame.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    Lived in Europe for 4 years. In most places they don't have room to swing a cat. So no room for, in our opinion "decent" finger docks so they can fit a lot more people in. You should see some of the docking I have seen (like Mediterranean ports) where they use their slip mates' boats as trampolines and pin ball their way into position with guys frantically running around with big mooring balls....and I'm talking BIG yachts. Google it for a laugh......makes my former areas of marinas/docking look tame.
    Sounds like me the first time I dock for the season.  :)

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Danish_FV270Danish_FV270 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I live in northern Europe. One of the reasons why the boats dock bow in is that the harbor is mostly without floating docks and therefore the docks are so high above the water surface that you can not board the boat via the swimming platform.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I saw an option to have a bow dismount rail when I was shopping for my boat. They were trying to sell it for people that regularly beached their boats (bow end), so they could step off from the bow without having to step over the rail.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MarkB, yes Rinker had that option when I bought my cruisers. Might come in handy to eject unwanted guests? Send them up to the bow for a "Titanic" moment then chop the throttles....oops!
  • Options
    joernjoern Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Just thought I`d pick up on this to stop you laughing... :-)
    It all comes from the way we use our boats here in Norway. We do not spend sunny days ON the boat, we use the boat to get to islands where we go ashore and spend the day on a picnic. We drop anchor from the rear and move the boat towards the cliffs where we tie the boat. We have thousands and thousands of islands to use, almost all of them public.
    In harbour we use fingers, just like you.  :p:open_mouth:
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on my way!
  • Options
    Very cool, I like that boat also!!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    It's always interesting to hear the different ways people use their boats.  Around here, a perfect weekend is when we are on the boat (or swimming) from Friday afternoon until Sunday morning.

Of course, maybe it would be different if we had islands like that!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Very nice!  and thanks for a little more explanation.  The boat is beautiful, as well as the islands.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    But when return to the slip(dock) do you bow in or stern in. Those islands look sweet and nice merry fisher all weather boat