Options

In Sweden they board the boat from the bow??

2»

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:

Of course, maybe it would be different if we had islands like that!
    And the most important point, being public land that anyone can enjoy. I know that in Finland for example, you can privately own waterfront and islands, but in many cases you can't block public access.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    we have islands too, but we back up to them!! lol
  • Options
    joernjoern Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Thought I should show you some other pics of boating in Norway...  The Windy and the Storebro ( all mahogny) are my previous boats..

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Thanks for the nice pictures!  Love the look of that mahogany boat!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    I miss my wood boat 
  • Options
    joernjoern Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Sometimes I miss both the boats, but this year I`m going to (hopefully) enjoy our 312 when its ready...
    Mostly you dock bow inn, but as the boat gets larger people tend to back in. These boats also have the larger platform so it`s easyer to enter the boat that way. We also have to consider the wind, and I like to have the wind against the bow.
    It was mentioned in an earlier post that even if the island is private, the public are allowed access. This is true in Norway as well. It`s called "allemannsretten". Everybody can use the shoreline as long as nobody can see you have been there...
    Please come visiting Norway !!

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice ! thanks for the pictures. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    joern said:
    ... even if the island is private, the public are allowed access. This is true in Norway as well. It`s called "allemannsretten". Everybody can use the shoreline as long as nobody can see you have been there...
    I was talking about this yesterday with a colleague from Sweden.  It's such an interesting difference from the US and elsewhere.  With access to all of the shoreline, it's easy to understand why boaters usually go ashore instead of anchoring out.

Another difference might be that anchoring is more difficult.  In Norway, I'm going to guess that the sea bottom is rocky and deep.  On the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay, the water is relatively shallow, and usually soft mud or sand.  It's easy to set and retrieve an anchor.  We have lots of nice places to anchor for the day or weekend, and few places to go ashore.