Options

2006 FV 270 anyone remove or replace the searchlight?

luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in General Boating Discussions
I know it's still a ways off before I can get to it here in New England but I am trying to get ideas. I posted a while back about my searchlight. It is the Jabsco stainless steel bullet shaped light. It woks somewhat but flops around underway and doesn't always rotate unless I fiddle with the remote. I tried emailing Harvey Marine who it seems repairs them but got no response. A direct replacement is over 900 deer, which is too much in my opinion. I don't drive the boat at night but do use it sometimes in coves when staying overnight. I have two questions. Has anyone just removed theirs and replace it with a small flag mast?  I could just buy a handheld searchlight. Are you left with holes in the bow rail that look bad?  Or has anyone tried the much less expensive wireless remote LED lights as a replacement?  The white plastic ones. Just a few hundred for those. Are they junk or will it suffice? Any input is welcome. 
Post edited by luvinlife on

Comments

• Options
    Considering replacing with a wireless Stryker Go Light that I see as low as 285 dollars. 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine has a crack in the housing and that's my eventual plan. Several members here have I believe. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Go with a white plastic jabsco
    get New or used one and it will
    wire right in and can be used with old control
    i spliced mine right at the bow 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably striped gears...have had mime apart, did not look like rocket science in there...
  • Options
    DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Went with the Stryker LED, wireless .  Unbelievably bright !  It has a key fob so you can control it either on or off the boat . Super easy install !!!!  
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I have the halogen GoLight Stryker on my boat. I have the dash mounted wireless control. It is a great light. I just looked at their site and they have the LED retrofit bulb on sale. It isn't cheap, but I might get it.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I appreciate the "classic" look of the old bullet style it does kind of stick up like a sore thumb. Really like the more streamlined look of the Stryker.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went with the Stryker LED, wireless .  Unbelievably bright !  It has a key fob so you can control it either on or off the boat . Super easy install !!!!  
    Couldn’t justify replacement unless mine breaks but that sure is a darn good looking spot light!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    My bulb was burnt out when I first got my boat- spent the 80 for a new one and I think I only have turned it on to aggravate my neighbors at the house or trying to spot gators at the marina...I used it only one time as it was getting late heading back to the dock. Would always want to make sure I had a good working light and  should have a back up.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod

Yes, I try not to use mine very often either.  It hinders your night vision drastically!  It drives me crazy when boats have them on like their car headlights!  I have a narrow, low-height bridge at my marina.  That is really the only place I use it (to see water level - for fitting under, and to just see under it since my width is over 14 and the bridge width is 20).

Dirty, light looks great.  Mine is same shape, but not LED.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use mine very often either. I will use it to spot channel markers on the river since hitting them can cause some damage. A quick on/off is all one needs.

I agree with you @Dream_Inn about people who own boats that use them as headlights. We see it more often than not on the river that I boat on. You can't tell if the boat is heading towards you or away from you. The other thing that we see is pontoons that have the downward facing multi-color water lights running up river with them on, cycling through all colors of the spectrum. They are so bright that it washes out the nav lights. Both drive me nuts.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Do the wires run through the bow rail?  Will the new Jabsco work with the current remote on my dash?  I like everything to work and look stock. 
    Post edited by luvinlife on
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    Forget the remote spotlight.  On a moving boat, it's too hard to keep it pointed where you want.  A handheld is more effective (assuming equal brightness).  I have one that uses the same battery as my cordless drill, and it's way brighter than my bow spotlight.  

And keep in mind:  if you shine your spotlight at another boat, you kill that captain's night vision in addition to your own.  
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much better do the LED ones work ?  
  • Options
    Yes all wiring is identical from old models to new.
    basicallt it can be the bullet as model
    or square plastic.
    only difference is some models have high and low setting and some just use single filament bulb.
    Note that all signal wires are already there regardless of what you go with. Jabsco will be easier to figure out since it’s color coded.
    yes wires are ran thru the top bow rail.
  • Options
    My boat had the ss bullet style light which was missing when I purchased the boat. I switched to the plastic housing jabsco and everything worked out great. I had to drill two extra holes in the bow rail mount to fit the square light vs oval.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Right now I am leaning towards replacing with a cheaper plastic Jabsco and hope the wires line up and that original dashboard remote will work. 
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks Zaverin.  Unless I can find a simple fix for my stainless searchlight, I will replace with the plastic Jabsco. 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Forget the remote spotlight.  On a moving boat, it's too hard to keep it pointed where you want.  A handheld is more effective (assuming equal brightness).  I have one that uses the same battery as my cordless drill, and it's way brighter than my bow spotlight.  

And keep in mind:  if you shine your spotlight at another boat, you kill that captain's night vision in addition to your own.  
    I disagree....sorta.  I use my fixed spotlight when coming into my canal system at night.  I have to steer and can't do that and manage a light at the same time.  But I also carry a compact floating waterproof LED handheld spotlight for times when the fixed mount is not practical.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-Fatmax-Waterproof-LED-Spotlight/21708661?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227015754260&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40839780992&wl4=pla-78652803632&wl5=9016843&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=21708661&wl13=&veh=sem

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    I agree stodge.
    i use my light when coming back from fireworks to my marina or coming back in the dark up Clinton river from the Clem.
    i think it’s a common sense to carry a backup light of some sort.

• Options
    The handheld should be operated by the first mate, not the captain.  
  • Options
    Disco ball 
    party!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Get down and boogie. 
  • Options
    The mounted light and remote is one if the coolest thing on my boat- next to pushing button for the anchor!
  • Options
    To be honest,Raz, I think mine is way cool too. I don't drive my boat in the dark but do use the search light on the hook in coves to check things out (always courteous of other boaters).  That's why I'd rather replace it versus removing it. 
  • Options
    I'm not joking when I say this:  The only useful thing my spotlight ever does is illuminate a dancer on the foredeck.  It's an important task, but I don't consider the spotlight to be part of my boat's navigation equipment.  
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you need one to avoid all the logs in the Potomac you will be glad you have one
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree that the need is rare but I’ve pulled in to a small harbor at night with no moon and sure I could have done it without the spot light but man was it nice to have it. Same with seeing and picking up mooring balls at night. I’m a big Ryobi fan and love that spotlight that was shared, may have to look for that as it would be easier to have that too. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    CarsnmorellcCarsnmorellc Member Posts: 230 ✭✭
    Ok for the people who have upgraded their spot light to the Stryker LED version, how much brighter is it?  Mine works fine right now, but my lake party days go well into the night and my lake does not have any type of illuminating markers.  I managed all last year but I would like more light if possible.
    2001 340 Fiesta Vee 20P Hill Marine and 2 new 6.2 Horizon motors. Whine Down