New Hardtop TV

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod

Well, I've been wanting to change out the cheesy DVD player that came with the boat mounted on the hardtop.  After seeing what @dirtythirty did last year, I knew what I needed to do.  I used the same bracket he had purchase last year.

It swivels about 90 degrees on the bracket, but will swivel 360 on the 1inch starboard I mounted it to.  The starboard is attached to the seat swivel that was originally used on the ceiling for the dvd player.

I only wish I had the machine that @diggin2day1 has!  I may take it back down and use my router on the edges and round the corners of the starboard.  You can also see in the pictures another use for the LED lights that go around the hardtop.  It is obviously quite blue under the winter cover, but putting the LED lights on white really helps out.  It's t-shirt and shorts weather underneath!

Only thing I didn't get working yet is the sound thru the two rear speakers in the hardtop.  I bought an audio converter from optical to coax, but the TV doesn't seem to drive the sound thru it (not a big deal, the TV does seem loud enough, but I'll get it working somehow).

The TV is a Samsung 32".  I powered it using a DC converter (from 12V to 19V).  I also ran cables down to the galley to a DVD player in a cabinet (which will play on either the galley TV or the hardtop TV).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Very nice!!
    2008 330EC
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn......beautiful work!
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great mod!  Looks like this mod is in my future too.  How sturdy is the mount?  Do you think it will stay put in rough seas?
    Getting audio out from a TV never seems to work as it should.  Are you using HDMI?  There are splitters to pull analog audio from HDMI.  I've used several, and they are finicky but not too expensive.  
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Awesome job. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod

The mount seems pretty sturdy.  I guess time will tell for sure. @dirtythirty has the same mount and been using it for the last year, so hopefully that means that it's ok. I think it will stay put during rough seas.

As far as audio, I was doing some reading and I may just have to change the sound out of the TV from dolby to PCM.  Samsung only has digital optical audio out.  I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NJCCAKY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I may end up needing to buy one that has separate volume, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073PYN7L5/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2YQFDF115GQRZ&colid=2Q44B212P84PT&psc=1

I'll look more into the ones that pull it out of HDMI (as LaRea mentioned).

• bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    If u have a headphone jack on tv run wire from it to the aux in on radio 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
    If u have a headphone jack on tv run wire from it to the aux in on radio 

no headphone jack.  I have two completely separate speakers in the back of the hardtop that are only there for the TV (was for the DVD player).  So, I'm gonna get them working one way or another :)

• taylor1taylor1 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    I think there is a rocker switch in the panel by the rear port sink that turns on the rear speakers. When i throw the switch, there is a faint pop you can hear
    taylor1 said:
    I think there is a rocker switch in the panel by the rear port sink that turns on the rear speakers. When i throw the switch, there is a faint pop you can hear
    Yes, I agree. That turns on amp and also supplies 12V to the DVD player. I used that same 12V to supply my new TV. That way when I turn that switch off there will not be any slow voltage leak.

• DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Looks REALLY NICE !!!!!  The only thing I did different was, my TV has the built in DVD player. Not a huge deal.  One thing to think about....look on Amazon for a custom fit (32") weatherproof cover for that TV. It will protect it in case you get caught out in a squall with your canvas down, and it tends to make the entire unit a little less visually obtrusive when its tucked up and away and covered.  
    My TV does not play through my speakers. when you figure out how to do it, shoot me a PM.   Although I must say, the TV puts out enough volume so I I don't really need to play it for the entire dock. (That is unless I have next seasons "EAGLES" GAME ON !!!.....sorry, I feel I can put that out there and relish in our amazing win for just a little while !)
    BTW,  I have NEVER had the TV come unlatch and come down to the open position while under way. It is ROCK STEADY when it is in its tucked position.  Also, I'm almost 6'4", and I can walk under it and I don't even come close to hitting my head on it.  (Its a different story when the TV is flipped down, I always need to remember its there).
    Thanks for the comments Dirty!  Makes me feel that I bought the right mounting bracket (it was unavailable for a while everywhere, I thought maybe it was discontinued.  Bought one the second it became available).  I went with the DVD player in the galley just because the built in one that I have the galley TV doesn't seem to always be compatible (especially with a redbox dvd).  I'll look into a weatherproof cover.  Any recommendations?

I can say this much .... although the one I bought works great and just as I had hoped,  it certainly does not fit all that well. It is very much oversized.  I’m thinking that when they said it will fit a 32-37” tv....it’s made for a 37 and and if your tv is smaller, it will still work.  I may look for a better fit.  Only because I have issues ( so my wife says) and I need it to be perfect LOL...  either way, they do the job.  Just look for one that says “32” inch !
    edited October 2018
    Taking inspiration from @Dirtythirty and @Dream_Inn, I just finished my installation.  

Originally, I bought the same Samsung TV as @Dream_Inn, but it arrived with a cracked screen.  I needed a TV that day, so I ended up getting a TCL 32" Roku 1080p TV that was available locally.  Bonus, it can play lots of streaming video services over wifi.  We streamed a Capitals game using my phone as a hotspot, and the picture was fantastic.  

For audio, the TV has a digital output (TOSlink optical cable).  I connected that to an analog converter with RCA plugs connected to the boat stereo, so anything I play on the TV can play over the stereo.  It sounds great, although the mute switch on the TV remote doesn't work.  

On my boat, the mounting surface on the underside of the hardtop is tilted astern by 3.5°.  I made a 12x12 plate of 3/4" starboard, and added a 3/4" shim along the forward edge.  That gave me a nice level surface to work from.  

I re-used the original swivel, which goes between that plate and a second 12x12 plate that holds the tilt mount.  

All of the fasteners are 1/4"-20 except the small screws that hold the TV to the mount.  I was worried that screws into the fiberglass might pull out in heavy seas, so I used stainless 1/4" threaded rod with a nut and large washer on the top (inside the hardtop).  

The cut edges of the starboard have a pebble finish obtained by heating and dabbing with sandpaper, as detailed here:
    http://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/9227/starboard-marine-lumber-how-to-finish-cut-edges

I replaced the original power switch with a small panel that has two USB charging ports, a 12-V power plug, an HDMI port that plugs into the TV, and a power switch for the TV.  I can plug a laptop into the HDMI port and play it over the TV.  The TV also allows wireless screen mirroring.

The TV requires AC power, so I'm going to install a small inverter connected to the stereo breaker panel.  (For now, it only runs on shore power or generator.)  

At first, the TV seemed WAAAAY too big, and I thought about replacing it with a 28".  Now that I've seen it a few times, it looks appropriate, and so much better than the original worthless TV! 

Total cost, around $300.  The TV was $180.  The rest was for cables, starboard, the audio converter, the switch panel and the inverter.  We probably still won't watch TV often, but it's there when we want it.  
    Wow it looks great! Big impact with low cost, awesome!

Looks great @LaRea! I like the usb/switch panel.  Smart TV is the way to go (I've used the Internet connections a few times already on mine).  Also using Roku (I use one thru USB slot, and place the device at times on my radar to see the wifi over the boat next to me on a lift in the marina) is nice to get all the stations that you'd get on your home TV (if you have wifi available).

Definitely get that thing on 12Vdc, so you can use it anytime anywhere without the genny!  Looking great!! :)

You may inspire me to get rid of my square edges!

edited October 2018
    Looks FANTASTIC !!   Nice install job.  You wont regret the larger size.  I think its a perfect size for the aft cockpit.  My only complaint :   when turned on in the summer at night, it brings the bugs in !! 
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, was a TV previously in that recessed area of the hard top?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

MarkB said:
    Nice, was a TV previously in that recessed area of the hard top?

Previously was a small flip down DVD player, no TV channels.  Was very difficult to use/see.

• cls10105cls10105 Member Posts: 352 ✭✭
    Thats nice...looks awesome 
    cruising on 6. tw0s
    edited October 2018
    Right - and the DVD player had a wee little amplifier driving two speakers in the hardtop above the transom seat.  Now I need to yank out those speakers, and install a pair that points down towards the water behind the swim platform.  
    Some more pix of installation details ...

Four 1/4-20 studs, each with a washer and nut on the top side, all snugged up tight so they can't ever pull out.  

The underside of the mounting plate has shims made of starboard.

Swivel in place, ready to attach the lower mounting plate.  I had to go back and adjust the stud on the right to keep it from hitting the bolts of the lower plate.

A follow-up after a few months using this setup:

In rough water, the monitor was shaking so much that I think it might have broken sooner or later.  Not the swivel or the fold-down mount ... they are sturdy and durable.  The problem is the monitor itself.  The back panel, where the mount is attached, is just thin plastic.  It's really not designed for horizontal mounting in a rough environment.

So I made a simple stabilizer that wedges in above the monitor to keep it from rocking.  By coincidence, a 2x4 board is exactly, perfectly the right dimension.  I cut out a center section to clear the mount, then sanded and spray-painted it.  All I do is fold the monitor up, lock it, and push the board into place.  It's just a friction fit.  

Total length 20", with a 16" x 1.75" cutout in the center.  

I guess I could have made the board with a fancier cut, but you can't really see it unless you're 7 feet tall.  Easy, simple, cheap and effective.  

Nice @LaRea !  I'll have to take a peek at mine to make sure all looks ok.  This'll be the first time with the new setup going to VA beach on Thursday.  I had thought about a piece of foam on the top side that would fit snugly in there (maybe that'll be a quick temp precaution for the trip).  Thanks!

On my first try, I put in blocks of very stiff packing foam on both sides of the mount.  It totally didn't work.  They were too close together, and not nearly stiff enough.  The support points have to be as far off-center as possible.  
    Nice add! I changed the TV down below to a new 24" and had the same issue where I could tell it could teeter-totter under way and as you said the central mount feels like it could be a weak point so I did something similar by sticking foam to the back of the TV to keep it from rocking. Looks great!