Options

Documenting your engine room

2»

Comments

• Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Some of the best pics I have were taken by MT himself. Still combing the beach on some tropical oasis Michael ???
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    U ain’t gonna catch me unless I am needed in any compartment on a summer day lol
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod

well, I actually enjoy (love) spending time in my engine room.  I am in it every single weekend (from April - Oct).  Knowing that engine room very well helps me identify the first sign of anything that's not right.  That is what helps keep my boat running well.  I'll even venture down there, check things out, and when all looks good, have my first drink of the day there.

I am looking at buying a small boat for my son and had told him the only thing wrong with the boat was there was no engine room :) .  It just has an outboard on it...but he's gotta start somewhere!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bry1429 that's alot of pretty power.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    @bry1429. Yes brother, still in Providenciales - for three more weeks.  88 degrees today 8 mph breeze and not a cloud in the sky! OH YEAH! Judy flies home in a week to get our grand daughter who will spend the rest of the time with us.

BTW - don't know if I ever told you. In picture #2 you will see a 90 degree fiberglass elbow in the Generator exhaust. That is 100% custom. You have the only Rinker in production with that. The Starboard AGM was bigger than the OEM battery space so the OEM generator exhaust was rubbing on the battery posts. Not good. Randy Rinker and I discussed the solution with Kohler Generators Florida and we agreed on the modification. Bless Randy Rinker he sent me the fiberglass elbow N/C - not even shipping costs! Worked besutifully. GO RINKER!

BTW#2 of ALL (the many) custom mods to your boat my two favorites were the cockpit upholstery custom fabric up-grade (Diamante Frost) - you have the only production Rinker cruiser with that - and placing the Axius control (like all top line cruisers) on the helm.....again, as far as I know, you have the only Rinker production cruiser with that custom mod.

Want to guess what my next mod was going to be? I was in the process of having an Axius control installed at the stern. Would that be cool or what!

Very happy to know Bryan that, with you and your Admiral in charge, the engine bay will be as clean (or cleaner) than when we had it.

Boating season is coming soon for we Northerners!

Best Respects Bryan....MT 

P.S. The Admiral says hello!

• Options
    Michael T said:

BTW - don't know if I ever told you. In picture #2 you will see a 90 degree fiberglass elbow in the Generator exhaust. That is 100% custom. You have the only Rinker in production with that.

Hmm, interesting to know I'm special too...and so is my neighbors 400 and other neighbors 390 :)

MT, hope you are truly enjoying your time in the south!

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dream did you buy that boat new? And there is a spec of dirt in front of port engine.  
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    edited March 2018
    ....@Dream_Inn you are correct but unfortunately you are not special (at least for your generator exhaust) - a number of 400 series Rinkers had an 90 degree run to the stern but that is a different configuration (and by the way less efficient) I should have said - no Rinker production had run a 90 degree from the usual configuration of the 270-360s. Of course, over the years I have seen what look like "on the spot" changes made to Rinker hardware that suggest, in the past - maybe during Global Nautiques reign - that installations were done a bit "on the fly" at times.....btw is that staining I see in the lower bilge! Oh the horror......you need to get at that pronto! 
  • Options
    randy56 said:
    @Dream did you buy that boat new? And there is a spec of dirt in front of port engine.  

bought the boat in 2012.  So, it was used for 4-5 years before I bought it.  I also had a fuel incident that caused a vapor explosion.  The port side of the engine room was completely redone (Better than new, because I had things like under the generator redone - so water wouldn't gather there).  Here are those sad pics:

• Options

MT/Bry,

Is that the original location of the battery next to the generator?  I know you said it fit better before when the battery was smaller, but I'm curious with it's general location.  Is it a generator only battery?

• Options
    Dream.....really nice re-do from the explosion. That must have been frightening!

I believe we had to replace the battery tray and turn it a bit to get that series 31 AGM to fit. It was also a taller battery which made the posts rub on the gen exhaust. 

At first the tech tried to "torque" the exhaust hose to make it by-pass the battery posts but I said whoa that's putting too much stress on the connections at the gen and fiberglass exhaust pot. I was sure something would crack or break.

I took some pics, sent them to Randy and Kohler and we devised the mod.

Bry may correct me here but from memory that battery was the Axius clean power connection as well as the starboard engine and generator starter. Nothing else was supposed to be connected because of the Axius clean power. I think there was another connection to it that had to be re-routed to preserve the clean power connection.

Bry will know for sure.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn looks like the spark from the blower motor ignited the fumes. I'm sure you found the cause, where you under way at the time? Had to be frighting at the time.   Did the fire go out in its own? 

Your boat look's new, PO either did not use it much or took very good care of it.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Yes, I had a blower motor that was making extra noise. I had 3 new ones (quieter ones) on order but didn't show up for that weekend. The explosion blew the hatch off the hydraulic lift, into the back platform seat, and then slammed by down. My wife saw a flame that was several feet high. The automatic extinguisher put it all out. We had just been taking off to get on plane when it all happened. Kind of to back on topic, I find it interesting how each boat can be a bit different in areas where you would think everything should be consistently the same. (i.e., most of us have probably been in two boats, same model, size, and year, but things are different from manufacturers).

• Options
    Yes, @Dream_Inn same here too. Two Rinkers of the same model and year rigged a bit differently. My guess is that here is no exact template like they have at some boat manufacturers. I have a feeling under Kim that there will be more consistency.
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Consistent manufacturing not only means better quality but better overall build process in my world.

• Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    Dream.....really nice re-do from the explosion. That must have been frightening!

I believe we had to replace the battery tray and turn it a bit to get that series 31 AGM to fit. It was also a taller battery which made the posts rub on the gen exhaust. 

At first the tech tried to "torque" the exhaust hose to make it by-pass the battery posts but I said whoa that's putting too much stress on the connections at the gen and fiberglass exhaust pot. I was sure something would crack or break.

I took some pics, sent them to Randy and Kohler and we devised the mod.

Bry may correct me here but from memory that battery was the Axius clean power connection as well as the starboard engine and generator starter. Nothing else was supposed to be connected because of the Axius clean power. I think there was another connection to it that had to be re-routed to preserve the clean power connection.

Bry will know for sure.
    Yes MT, the tech I get some professional advice from had mentioned "try to avoid hooking anything more to that battery because the axius GPS is powered by it"
    I am installing CP100 Sonar Module with CHIRP DownVision to my Raymarine with the CPT120 Thru-Hull CHIRP Tranducer with High Speed Fairing Block this spring and that battery would be the easiest to power but I will go to another.
    Dream, I do think that's the only location/space left to put the battery for the generator.  The engine room has most real estate spoken for. There is no dancing space in there like in your ballroom/engine room :D