Options

Adding 3rd battery

13»

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....and if you use AGM batteries they will charge significantly faster anyway AND if you use TPPL batteries they will charge faster still!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well when I got back to the dock the other day, the hatch would only open a few inches and stopped at which point I turned on the genny and it opened all the way .
  • Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    So if I add a second house battery (in parallel), will the factory charger charge both? albeit slower?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    So if I add a second house battery (in parallel), will the factory charger charge both? albeit slower?

Absolutely.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    i contacted =service@progressivedyn.com
    =they replyed=
    The PD2020 will charge AGM, Flooded lead acid, and newer SLA Gel batteries.
    single output profile that will work.
    The output voltage profiles were improved on the newer PD2120 model.

if it matters
    sams club has 20.00 of already good price on duracell agm and all marine batteries 
    till the 25th

• Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Just a warning - I bought two of the Sam's Club Duracell Group 31's last summer - one dropped a cell mid-cruise, the other dropped a cell sometime between February and March. They'd never been drained down past 12.4V.
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I hear ya. I think the one I bought last summer isn't 100%, and I'm taking it in for an exchange. Luckily sams club has a pretty good history of easy in-store returns. 
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    They have an 18 month no-questions-asked-replacement warranty - I returned one, the other is going back tomorrow am. They were both from the same manufacturer lot - I'm hoping it's limited to that. They certainly weren't abused that I'm aware of - no drops, no voltage spikes, etc. and on two seperate circuits (both house and starting). I have a Victron monitor and nothing is out of the ordinary.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That seems unusual for East Penn to have two batteries go bad. I have never had any issues with their batteries over the 18+ years that I have been using them. I usually get the Deka branded batteries that they manufacture.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm thinking bad batch or materials. Usually nothing but positive about them 
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    I agree.

The bright side - both were super easy to exchange. No hassle, no proving it stopped working, just walked in and walked back out. I did call Duracell the first time and the person I spoke with gave me the impression he wasn't surprised - they were both June 2017 manufactured and installed mid-August 2017. Just to be safe I've gone over the electrical system with a voltmeter - there's very little parasitic draw except for the **** CO detector - gotta cut that out) on the circuit. I've checked the generator and battery charger as well - they all look good.

I'm going to check on the batteries every 24 hours for the first week after I hook it all back up just in case.