Options

Revisiting the factory 2001 FV270 swim platform

thepriceisrightthepriceisright Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
One of the issues I found while researching this boat before buying it was some reports of issues with the factory swim platform ploughing. After one season with the boat, I'm pretty sure I have this issue. For example, here is a picture of my boat compared to the same boat with a swimplatforms.com platform:

I am pretty sure mine ploughs. I have the 496 engine, in great shape, with 3 blade 22p props. I can barely get into the 30s and my RPMs top out around 4k. It takes forever to get on plane, even with nothing in the holds, very little cargo, half fuel, and less than 500lbs of passengers.

Before ordering a new swim platform I'm considering simply having the factory one removed to see if it's the issue.

Thoughts?

Edit: Whoops, I have 22p props.
Post edited by thepriceisright on

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I'd say that your problem is your props first. 24p is pretty steep.. The swim platform also shouldn't limit your speed once you're on plane..  

Call up hill marine, get a set of 22p (or maybe 20's, they will let you exchange for "free", 120 bucks to ship them back though) 4 blade props for 1100 bucks (or I think I saw someone here selling them) and then sell your factory ones for 750ish on ebay like I did.. it's a no brainier.   If it doesn't work out at least you have much better props and can then keep going with the swim platform idea.. 

I went with the 20p's with a 383 and it's a dream.. 
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a 2002 FV270 w/350 horizon MPI and the low swim platform. The previous owner of my boat installed larger trim tabs and I have zero problems getting up on plane with 4 adults and 2 kids on board. Once on plane the swim platform is out of the water. 
  • Options
    CarsnmorellcCarsnmorellc Member Posts: 230 ✭✭
    PROPS to start!  Check your engine specs and see what your WOT is supposed to be an adjust accordingly as well as step up to a 4 blade prop!
    2001 340 Fiesta Vee 20P Hill Marine and 2 new 6.2 Horizon motors. Whine Down
  • Options
    I would say start with a 20P prop from Hill Marine, changed the entire performance of my boat.
  • Options
    I hesitated to put an order in with Hill during the office season because I'm not 100% sure of my top RPM. 
  • Options
    Just rechecked a photo of my props.. they are 22p, not 24. Whoops.

Same conclusion, @J3ff and @Carsnmorellc ?
  • Options
    Figure that out first, my platform is in the water just like yours but with the new props it changed everything. 
  • Options
    Yes, same conclusion.... As long as your props are in good shape the right buyer will come along and you'll get 500 at the very least.. they go for more like 750ish all day long. 
  • Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Could you stand on the platform while somebody is at the helm to diagnose the drag. I installed that swim platform on my 270, cost me $2,300 all in, I think.  
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    @thepriceisright==06 270=496=24p=hard to keep up with.

• Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    You may want to find out what your outdrive gear ratio is before deciding which props to order. I have a 2000 242 with a throttle body injected 5.7L Bravo III that turns 24P props with no issues, but I seem to remember my outdrive having a 2.20 gear ratio.If this is like an automotive differential, a lower ( numerically higher) gear ratio can swing a larger prop, because the shaft turns slower at the same engine rpm as an outdrive with a higher (numerically lower) grar ratio.
  • Options
    Interesting. I’ll check during my outdrive service. 
  • Options
    Ok, I did it, I ordered new props from Hill!

• Options
    edited April 2018
    thats what they recommended  on a 270 with 496 ?
    if all you could get was 30 mph and 4k =22p = fresh tuned =drive in good shape=props in good shape=bottom in good shape=with 24p=should be turning @ least 45/4800 and 40/44mph
    i wouldn't think you would hit 30 with 20p and over rev
    uneducated 02
  • Options
    Yep, this is what they recommended.

You don't think I'd hit 30mph with 20p props? I thought each 2" of pitch is about +400 RPMs, which would get me into the normal top end range for my motor.
  • Options
    with 20p's on my 383 (which makes comparable tq#'s to the bigger motors) I can get about 5000 out of her, maybe 38/39mph, but never even close to 44..  probably has something to do with gearing. 
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I'm not really as concerned with top speed as it burns a ton of fuel and none of my passengers like the ride once we get past 30 anyway. 

Would be nice to make it from Cleveland to Kelley's Island in 1.5 hours instead of 2 though.
  • Options
    i would think if you have a 496 and a bravo3 iand can only turn a 22p =barely  30 and  around 4k rpms = the prop is not the problem.....are your props now s.s.
  • Options
    The engine isn't throwing any codes. The fuel flow at WOT seems about right, but I haven't actually checked things like fuel pressure. It was fully serviced last summer. I'm having my drive serviced and getting the shift cable replaced, so hopefully if there are any issues with the throttle not actually calling for WOT that will help.

My other theory, per the thread title, is the swim platform adding too much drag. It definitely drags down in the water while accelerating, and pulls up a mass of water under it while on plane.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭

You don't think I'd hit 30mph with 20p props? I thought each 2" of pitch is about +400 RPMs, which would get me into the normal top end range for my motor.
    Keep in mind a lower pitch prop pushes less water for every revolution.  That's how you get the higher RPM because the prop can turn more freely.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    The other thing you'll get with these 4x4 propellers is the stern start higher in the water at all times. I don't really get it but I know for a fact that the boat rides noticably closer to level now, meaning now down and stern up. I used to have to need with trim for various reasons... Now I don't touch it... So that would be good to keep your platform out of the water
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Stodge said:

Keep in mind a lower pitch prop pushes less water for every revolution.  That's how you get the higher RPM because the prop can turn more freely.
    This is true, but don't forget he's got two more blades in the water now. So it'll balance out nicely.  Effectively the new props should have more "grip"
  • Options
    I just sent a text to the dude doing my drive service saying I ordered new props that they'd be there next week and he called me back faster than he ever has before  :D
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    What'd he say?
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Just got off the phone with him. He thinks I'm going to not change RPM or actually lose RPM by going to 4 blade and only dropping 2" of pitch. He said you need more than 4" of pitch to offset moving to 4 blades, which contradicts everything else I've read.

So we're going to try the new props since they've already shipped and see what happens.
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I need to run the boat so I can collect my RPM/Speed and get my order in!
  • Options
    Just got off the phone with him. He thinks I'm going to not change RPM or actually lose RPM by going to 4 blade and only dropping 2" of pitch. He said you need more than 4" of pitch to offset moving to 4 blades, which contradicts everything else I've read.

So we're going to try the new props since they've already shipped and see what happens.
    He's pretty wrong about that one... I talked to the father of the place at Hill Marine before ordering mine.. he told me go 20p from 22 and I thought to myself "well I hope he's right.." - he turned out to be right.

Here's the thing, say you get them and the mechanic is correct and you don't get any more, time to cash in that free (sorta, shipping was 75 or so when I looked up fedex smart post) exchange. 
  • Options
    Yep, that's what I figure. Something other than engine output is effecting my performance so I'm looking forward to changing something just to try and exclude it. Props are definitely faster and cheaper to change that my swim platform on just a hunch.
  • Options
    I can't tell you how much nicer my boat rides with the 4x4's - should have changed that FIRST before anything else when I got it.. lots of complaints about 270's with bow rise and stuff making it hard to use the seat. I wish I understood why, but the rear of your boat really will be higher right off the bat with these props, I use zero trim tabs and don't have to touch the out drive level  (keep it all the way down) these days. 
  • Options
    I hope so! Now if it would just stop snowing so I can get in the water!