Options

Camper Top

jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
So I have the dreaded 2007 280 camper top where it goes under the arch rather than connecting to it which makes taking the bimini top down and putting it back up a disaster. I was curious about what it would take to convert it to connect to the arch. Does anyone know if I would have to change the arch so it has the zipper tracks on it? 
Boat Name: Knot A Worry
2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My arch has the track that the canvas connects to. I can get you pictures of what I have if you would like.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if you attach the track to the arch be prepared for the paint to start peeling due to electrolysis
  • Options
    Then how do they do it from the factory to not have the paint peel?
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh no the paint chips off.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    From the factory?! 
  • Options
    They are stainless screws into Aluminium
  • Options
    I dont know how to avoid it
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    @jme097 if you come to get the A/C control after I launch I can show you how the zipper strip is attached to my arch.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Could you avoid the stainless into aluminum combo if you used aluminum rivets instead?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Track space is too thin to get rivet gun head in
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    HeII, glue it on. 3M VHB.

I'm in the same boat, HAHA! But mine's a 2006. I hate it. Only thing about the boat I hate. I'm real tempted to buy the stuff I need from SailRite and convert the top to attach to the arch.
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 2000 is the same. Leaks at the joint under the arch every time it rains and would like to be able to mount lights and speakers on the arch. Would love if I could convert but not sure it's worth the price/hassle. Will probably change out canvas in a season or two, so definitely a consideration.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Thats why I am curious. Not going to pursue it if its going to be crazy expensive
  • Options
    Perhaps you could do a nylon insert and a stainless screw instead of a stainless screw right into the aluminum arch??????
  • Options
    Ok, I just found high strength plastic screws on line. So I will remove my track on the arch, drill and tap the existing hole and presto, no more corrosion. Wow I'm good. LOL
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll take some credit for making you think outside the box. :wink:

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    I also will put on a small bead of 4200
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine go under the arch, why the big deal? Mine did not leak...i don't have any light in the arch as that would be a problem...guess it would look better that way...never really thought about it..
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    rasbury said:
    Mine go under the arch, why the big deal? Mine did not leak...i don't have any light in the arch as that would be a problem...guess it would look better that way...never really thought about it..
    A friend of mine had a Formula and his canvas went under his arch. He had 2 spreader lights on his arch. No problem he had 2 round holes cut in the canvas and 2 pieces of isinglass installed and problem gone. Worked great.......... Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Just a few of my gripes:
    1. Can't easily fold the bimini for storage.
    2. Can't add spreader lights
    3. Can't add any kind of TV mount (I'm not that kind of boater, but just saying)
    4. Raising/lowering the anchor light and VHF antenna is difficult (point 1) and dangerous on the water
    5. Can't put up just the front half or rear half of the bimini - sure, you can unzip the last foot, but what does that do for you really? It's either 100% sun or shade.
    6. Can't hang a load-bearing adult harness system
    7. More difficult to add flexible solar panels to the bimini/radar arch.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    LMAO@#6

Why are your anchor light and VHF antenna down?  I put mine up after I splash and they stay that way till we pull out for the season.

Could be worse.  My old 280 didn't have an arch at all.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a few of my gripes
    1. Can't hang a load-bearing adult harness system
    Wait!........what?!?  Kinky......I like it... B)
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    Stodge said:
    LMAO@#6

Why are your anchor light and VHF antenna down?  I put mine up after I splash and they stay that way till we pull out for the season.

Could be worse.  My old 280 didn't have an arch at all.
    To get under bridges..... I have to lower mine all the time.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    lmao @Dude_Himself love #6 brother. Thats hilarious. But yes every point you hit is a valid issue. I put in light on the radar arch and then after I did it I realized it was a waste of time as I can't use them when the top is up LOL. 
  • Options
    My 280 is a trailer sailer (yes, it's ridiculously big for it, but honestly I can launch/land in the same time as most smaller boats). I can't drag it down the road with the VHF antenna and anchor light up - turns out that attracts electrons.

Hit a powerline, took out the anchor light and TV service for a side street, thankfully caught it and stopped right before the higher-voltage lines at the bridge span - I think the VHF might have caught the bottom line there. I haven't forgotten since.

• Options
    lol I keep mine on a trailer during the fall and winter when I pull it out for the season. I have no issues with how big she is. People always say its way too big of a boat to be pulling around. I think otherwise LOL
  • Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    @Willhound My 04 270 has the bimini under the arch....just put windows in! @raybo3 it works like a charm!

• Options
    thepriceisrightthepriceisright Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    I don't get why everyone goes with blue light. Allow me to nerd out here for a sec...

1) Humans can't focus on many wavelengths of blue light. The way it scatters in our cornea means the focal point occurs slightly beyond our retina, making it look blurry. As we constantly attempt to focus, it can lead to eye strain, which can cause headaches, nausea, and even long term vision impairments.

2) Blue light deposits more of it's energy in our retina, which is bad for several reasons. The most immediate reason is that it ruins our night vision temporarily. Someone in their cockpit with blue illumination will be unable to see nearly as much outside the boat as someone using red or amber lights. 

3) As I mentioned above, blue light deposits more energy in our retina than other wavelengths. This occurs because the light penetrates deeper. This can cause strain on our retina leading to macular degeneration.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/blue-light.htm
    https://www.assemblymag.com/blogs/14-assembly-blog/post/91320-beware-the-blue-light
  • Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    @thepriceisright BUT THEY LOOK FRIGGIN SWEET!!!!!
    I never have mine on while underway, only at the dock. Don't be a debbie downer, people like what they like and it's ok to not like the same ****!
  • Options
    thepriceisrightthepriceisright Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    @thepriceisright BUT THEY LOOK FRIGGIN SWEET!!!!!
    I never have mine on while underway, only at the dock. Don't be a debbie downer, people like what they like and it's ok to not like the same ****!
    It's just a pet peeve of mine. Every time I see a store using bright blue lights for their sign that renders it unreadable at night I want to drive my car through it.