Prop Timing/Torques specs

MIKES342MIKES342 Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭

I wanted to share some information I received from my dealer pertaining to the torque ratings and the timing of insalling the bravo 3 propset. When looking at the props from the rear.  The front prop nut is torqued to 100 ft lbs.  The rear prop nut is torqued to 60 ft lbs.  Also the timing is as follows the leading edge of the front prop is at 6 o clock and the rear prop leading edge is at 12o'clock.  I hope this helps someone

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those numbers are for dry threads too (no grease on them).

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
     I am putting on my props for my B3 I was researching on this forum for the correct torque and timkng for the props. Is this all still correct? Forward prop lower blade at 6 o'clock, rear prop top blade at 12 o'clock.  Also BD said this is for dry thread, meaning no antisieze on threads?

appreciate the help.
    Post edited by 06Rinker270 on
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used Mercruiser special lubricant 101 on my prop shaft splines, don't know what they'r using now but if I boated in salt water they'd be greased or it would be torch time to remove them!
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The spline grease, Mercury 2-4-C, goes on the splines. No grease on the threads for the prop nuts!

torque values as noted are correct. 

Yes on the prop timing. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    The torque values are as above (no grease) here is a picture of the timing 
    You guys are the best thank you 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the "old days" we used to use Mercury 2-4-c then we went to special lubricant 101. I have left the spline greasing to the techs for the last 4 years but every boat I have had since I can remember always had the splines greased before the props were installed. Aipha 1, bravo 1 and all B llls. I put the grease on by finger rubbed it totally around the prop shaft and used a clean rag to gently wipe-off the excess. My bravo prop nuts were torqued to 75 foot pounds. Regarding the B llls,  I have no idea what their torque should be, but I would never put a prop on a drive shaft without greasing it. Never had a loose prop, never lost a prop never had a problem..... and most important never had to hammer off or torch off a prop, they just slid off with a slight nudge.
    edited March 2016
    Only two nuts correct and a hub for rear prop?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    edited March 2016
    Yes two washers. Thanks Al
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    I don't understand what the prop timing does, since the props rotate in different directions,  at some point during the rotation the props will be passing each other blade to blade. I did follow the manual timing the props even though I don't understand it. I'm the first to admit I don't know everything.
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Jhof, where are you in CT. Not to many rinkers by me. 
    Alswagg, now it makes sense, you don't want both blades behind the outdrive at the same time. 
    Craigswardmbt, i'm in central ct, I usually launch from a club ramp in Cromwell, on the CT river, unless i'm going out in the sound, then I launch in Old Saybrook. I see a few Rinkers on the river.
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Cool. A few years ago we were out the Brewers in Old Saybrook. I'm dry docked at Hays Haven in Chester but keep mine in Mystic in the summe .  I sold my 270 to a guy that docks at a marina in higganum. I see a couple other 270s here and there but rarely other models/sizes. Perhaps see you out there. We are a blue hulled 360, R Beach. 
    Sorry for the hijack. 
    I'll look for you, I have 242EC named "DREAMER" I frequent Greenport, Soundview, and Duck island. when not being a river rat.