Options

COFFEE ON THE HOOK

jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
I was wondering how some of you make coffee on the hook. I have a FV 242 with an electric stove, no genset, and no installed inverter. I have tried a small 4cup 110v drip with a plug in inverter but it keeps triping. I have heard the 12V coffee makers are terrible. Up to now I have brewed coffee at home, cooled it and stored it tupperware containers, and reheated in a small pot on the propane grill. Was thinking about a small portable butane stove and a perculator. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get a small portable generator and power the boat that way. Everything will work, just like when your plugged in at the dock.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    Besides charging the batteries, coffee is what I use my portable generator for the most when I am without shore power.
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There’s an adapter you can use to plug the boat in if you want while on the hook.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    I used a 12-volt coffee maker to melt the 12-volt receptacle at my helm.  Worked great for that, but not for making coffee.
  • Options
    jbendixjbendix Member Posts: 27
    Is your current method alter the taste of the coffee? 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We use a small butane burner (up on deck only) and percolator. Also handy for boiling water or frying an egg. Even use it for toast with a little camp toaster.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    One of these: GAS ONE GS-1000 7,650 BTU Portable Butane Gas Stove Automatic Ignition with Carrying Case, CSA Listed (Stove) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYGMO6M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1Tf.Ab3625NZV

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the same thing @diggin2day1 mentioned.  GFS sells them for about $25, and the butane cans cheap too.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    I have a small portable 2000 watt Generac generator I thought about using, but not sure nearby boats woukd appreciate me running a generator early in the morning. I have read about the french press, but still need a way to heat water. My biggest issue now is not taste, ( being former Navy, I can drink anything ) but not being able to make more if I run out. The small butane counter top stove and perculator seems alot cheaper than a new alcohol or alcohol electric stove.
  • Options
    Tried to tell my wife moving up to a 270 with genset and soundshield would solve this issue, she said think of something else!
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    The first time I fired up a gasoline generator to run a Mr. Coffee I realized I might have a coffee problem. The small butane stove and a French press make more sense, and that's where I'm headed.

Andy
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I dont have any of this fancy stuff, so I rely on other motivations in the morning to get going on the hook. Hasnt failed me yet. :D:D
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    I can’t help but to laugh at this post. Sorry guys but I’m not a coffee drinker and I guess you would have to be a coffee drinker to understand. Seeing this post I realize that it’s not just one person with this crazy coffee addiction. I’m going to write a ten step program for all of you lol. 
    I'll wait for that ten step program. LOL
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My name is Will....and I have a problem....
    Anybody that knows me well knows you don't even talk to me in the morning before at least one cup. A very large one.
    Boat has electric drip on shore power, percolator and butane stove in the water and a thermos for early morning departures. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    @JoeStang
    you have a crew now=ways must change   :'(
  • Options
    My wife just found our old camping perculator, so it's a portable butane stove for me. Thanks for the ideas and entertainment!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    I'm with Shawn, no coffee drinking on my boat (me or the admiral).  But, I anchor out a bit with some pretty sophisticated coffee drinkers.  They have the whole bean grinding machine that puts the swirl on top at the end.  Way too much for me! :)  But, I think my son will be addicted some day, because he like to go to the other boats and get the beans in and get everyone's coffee made in the morning! LOL!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello my name is Chris it has been 5 hours since my last coffee and after reading this I'm going to get a coffee. 
    I have a 342 with a genset, after finding the plug for the old(original) maker I now have 2 plus a camp stove, perculator and a French press. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    I like that, a backup for your backup.
  • Options
    How can anyone without any medical condition dislike coffee?
  • Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    I run on coffee in much the same way as my boat runs on diesel. (I know your all thinking of a sarcastic comment)
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They always do Dalek
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    is this a BROmance =brewing
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    trip_n said:
    is this a BROmance =brewing
    Do you mean BREWmance???

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    jhofmann  I wouldn't worry too much about the noise...a nice quiet little Honda or Yamaha generator hardly makes any noise and with an extension cord, you can place it anywhere (away from other boats) It will only be on for the duration of the pot of coffee or any other small appliance or TV.   They are a MUST for ANY boat that doesn't have a gen-set.  Also, consider this....We have friends that use one on their swim platform and run an extension cord to a small portable AC unit for night time use.  I wouldn't use my gen-set overnight on my boat, because of fumes or CO2, but a small one on the swim platform, out in the air, could be a real plus on a hot and muggy night.
  • Options
    I have A/C from the factory and have tested it with my small Generac generator, and it does work. I know the Honda 2000 is a great generator, and is quieter than mine, but I have a hard time with the $900 - $1000 price tag.
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I've run all my boat systems from my Generac iQ2000 - which is really a 1600W peak unit. I can run AC and battery charger simultaneously in Eco mode.

Ironically we can't run anything from the house - the only outdoor sockets are GFCI and trip whenever I try to use the boat.
  • Options
    My Generac is a 2200W surge with 2000W continous, so it has enough power, just a little louder than I would be comfortable with starting it in the morning with others anchored nearby.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Morning?  Everybody else is just waiting for the first person to run their genny so they can all fire up and make coffee.