Options

Which seawater pump would you recommend?

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
So It has been my standard operating procedure lately to fix one thing (boat, house, work) and a new thing breaks right away.  So yesterday i flushed out my starboard engine and seemed to have resolved the overheating issue.  On a test drive into Annapolis it was all great.  Coming home almost to the dock when the port engine warning horn goes off and temps are WAY up.  I shut it off instantly and temps then pegged at the top of the gauge.  Lifted the hatch, looked in and the belt was laying in the bottom of the engine compartment and the pulley fro the water pump was sticking out about an 1in from where it should be. So i limped in on one engine, came home and started looking for parts.  I haven't pulled the pump off yet but from the looks of it. The pump looks rebuild able and i am betting the lock washer failed.  I have seen replacements that range from $260-$460.  

Lowest Price option found EMP branded on on Amazon $260 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074CKGN7T/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Highest price option GLM brand on Amazon $454 Brass
https://www.amazon.com/MERCRUISER-BRAVO-ASSEMBLY-GLM-Number/dp/B004AQVPRW 

I have found the brass ones for as low as $350 but i dont know anything about them. They seem like a better choice.  Cant tell if they bolt up the same, come with a pulley or i use my existing one,need to buy one...

Or am i missing a better option?  Thanks All.

PS.If someone is testing my patience by continually breaking things please stop and i promise to go to church on Sundays instead of going out on the water.
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +++ on the Hardin Marine SS pumps. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    @Alswagg It is a 2003 342 with 350 MPI Engines.  Serial num is 0M363789.  I looked at the other ones and the one that is referenced to this serial num on marineengine.com looks just like what i have.  Looks like the Hardin Model with pulley is ~$500 http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-16817-stainless-steel-gen-7-sea-pump-for-mercury-350-mag-496-mag-****-82l-mag-and-502-mag-with-pulley.aspx.  Can i get away with using my old pulley?  I don't have axius so i am assuming it is a direct bolt on.
  • Options
    You can mount your old pulley on the Hardin. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I have looked around and any place i can find online has the Hardin Pump without the pulley on back order.  Any recommendations for a place to buy it? 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    @reneechris14 I will replace the OEM pump 10 times before i buy from http://www.cpperformance.com/ Had a horrible experience with them before.  Something really simple where they refused to cancel an order within an hour and then wouldn't even return the part when i got it.  Had to end up disputing the charge with the bank to get their attention.  Got emails from the part manager stating one thing and then he told the CC company another.  They are dead to me.
  • Options
    Ok understand will stay clear.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Agree with Al. Not worth the hassle to swap in the pulley.  I bought direct from Hardin. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    You can also buy the tools from advance auto, then return after. They call it their loaning of tools, and is the way they loan tools for free. I replaced my pulley myself and it wasn't too bad.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    @Alswagg do you use a puller to remove the pulley, or a hydraulic press? 
  • Options
  • Options
    It threads in the front and then wrench it off.
    Must take note of the shaft to make sure when reassembled it the same length.
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
  • Options
    onislandtimeonislandtime Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    I have never had luck using a pulley puller to remove either my old pulleys. I replace both my seawater pumps with Hardin. I use a impact wrench to drive the old pump off the pulley!
  • Options
    I just rebuilt one of my Hardin pumps.  Tried for two hours with three different pullers, and I couldn't get the hub off.  After I gave up, a local garage took it off with a puller plus an air chisel and elbow grease, and it took a while.  

I used a harmonic balancer puller (which Hardin recomments) and a 3-arm pulley puller.  Maybe I just needed the puller that @reneechris14 posted.  
  • Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    isn't it just a press fit pulley (press until flush) ?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Can not press the pulley on the sea water pump can't take the pressure.The tool is like a bolt sucking the shaft in to the pulley. Yes press till flush is correct.
  • Options
    is it the same with a power steering pump?  I am getting ready to do that next week?
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I just did my steering pump,I bought a Cardone 20-7920at auto zone $60  took the reservoir off my old one and the pully also the high pressure fitting was different ,don't turn in the core till you make sure all the parts fit ,also flush the lines with new fluid 
  • Options
    @GMSLITHO how did you get the pulley off the old one and onto your new pump?
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Auto zone has the rental tools 
  • Options
    Here's a more important question: Does anybody else have a reliability history for the Hardin pump?

My port pump lasted 3 years/180 hours before the main seal leaked and destroyed the bearings.  I rebuilt it by replacing all seals and bearings with their kit.  

It failed again this month, after 2 years/143 hours.  When I reinstalled it, I noticed that the stbd pump is leaking (5 yrs/323 hours).  

So, by my (very limited) records, the MTBF is around 200 hours.  
  • Options
    Another thing about the Hardin pumps.  Because the body is stainless steel, if you get a bolt cross-threaded, you can't use a normal hardware-store thread tap to clean up the threads.  You have to get a tap that can cut stainless steel. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    edited July 2018
    Well, I'll say I have one pump as a Hardin and the other original (well, new but original OEM style).  Same goes for another 400 on my dock.  Both of us have the engine with the Hardin pump run about 7 degrees cooler than the other engine. Water pressure is reading maybe 1-2 psi higher on the Hardin pump motor.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    onislandtimeonislandtime Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    I'm with @LaRea, the pulley kit posted will not pull the pulley off!! Both of mine had to use a air chisel to get off and went to a buddy's auto garage and used a long socket wrench (for leverage), pulley tool and a vise to get it on. This is my second season on the starboard and first season for port. I average 100hrs a season. 
  • Options
    I used a pulley puller kit from advance auto it did the job.  I ended up using long wrenches and a 1/2 socket breaker bar.  Leverage.  Just saying.  It worked so well i decided to just buy my own.  Went on Amazon. Found a kit that looked just like what i could borrow from Advance for $15.  It was delivered two days later.  Started to pull the pulley off the old water pump and stripped it within 5 min.  They aren't all created equal fellas.  
  • Options
    Autodog61Autodog61 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Couple things here.  I bought my two back in December from Detroit Motorz.  BUT, one was in stock and one was back ordered.  Website didn't say that.  After order, they contacted us to tell 1 was back ordered.  The in stock one came fast.  the back order one took two months of brow beating and confirming to them we paid for two.  Eventually came in.  Make sure they are in stock before you order.  Now, onto my current thread.  Was having overheating (not as bad as you) and swapped out OEM with the hardins.  Just test drove for first time and Port engine is running at 220 degrees at 3,500 RPM.  Problem is not identified yet so maybe not the Harding marine housing/impeller but its being looked at right now by marine tech.  See my other thread where I will update my issues.  I did a lot of research not just here but on may websites on longevity/trustworthiness of the Hardin Marines. They are good most everywhere.  So, as long as they aren't back ordered, I would say they should be a good upgrade to the OEM. 
    Holy Smokes, don't forget the bilge plug!
  • Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    I used a pulley puller kit from advance auto it did the job.  I ended up using long wrenches and a 1/2 socket breaker bar.  Leverage.  Just saying.  It worked so well i decided to just buy my own.  Went on Amazon. Found a kit that looked just like what i could borrow from Advance for $15.  It was delivered two days later.  Started to pull the pulley off the old water pump and stripped it within 5 min.  They aren't all created equal fellas.  
    Pic of puller please
  • Options
    @pistole which one? The one from Advance Auto ot the POS one i got from Amazon.