Options

Never thought it would be so hard to find a boat

boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
Been looking for 2 weeks. Can't find hardly anything and what I do find is beat up. Looked within 100 miles radius of Pittsburgh and only found about 7 results and only about 3 were anything like what we wanted (on yachtworld). Looked at a 1998 Sundancer 270 locally that is pretty beat up. Found another through popyachts but have been waiting 2 days on a return call. Went to Catawba Island last weekend and found 3 but wife wasn't thrilled with the seating in the Four Winns 268 and the two 260 Sundancers were a little too worn. Thinking about a 270 Rinker too but can't find any locally.
Might ride up to Erie PA tomorrow to see if we can find anything. Called about 3 or 4 boats and no return calls from any of them.

Really like the 1998-1999 270 Sundancer (9'2" beam). Called about a couple of 260 Sundancers but haven't got any return calls. Not sure about the 270 Rinkers cause we haven't found any yet.
Trying to stay within about 150 miles of Pittsburgh.

Have tried boattrader, yachtworld, craigslist, boatshopper, and forsalebyownerboats.net. Any other ideas? Also talked  to a few marinas to keep their eyes open.

Comments

• Options
    jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    What price range, options, etc are you looking for? The 270 is a popular boat and a great layout. We’re in Pittsburgh a good bit shopping etc. I’ll keep my eyes open, and I’ll check in my area to see if anything fits your criteria.  
  • Options
    Looking at anywhere from about $20,000 to $40,000 or so. Must haves are AC, walkthrough windshield and windlass. Preferred are vacflush, large swim platform, generator and trailer. The port lounger is a big plus. Wife likes that feature.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am also in Pittsburgh and surprisingly there are very few Rinkers listed for sale around here right now. When I was looking for my 280EC, I expanded my search to include Baltimore, and eastern PA. I found my 280 in Middle River, MD. There are a lot more boats in the gene pool if you are willing to travel. It sucks to do it, but might be worth the trip.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Here is one in Chicago. A little over your budget, but hits a few points.

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    if you find one far away at a good price you can have a marine survey done then go see it and have it shipped ,Im in NY and almost bought one in Fla but the deal didn't work out 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When we started we looked at some Maxxums, Sundancers some Dorals and a few Rinker's. Took 2 years to find the right 270. Happy we took our time until the right boat at the right price came along.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Indiana isn't a bad drive either. This one has AC, a genny and a trailer. It is also the newer layout in the cockpit.

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2002-rinker-270-fv-103347073/?refSource=standard listing

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Usually lots of boats in the Port Clinton, OH area.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If its on a trailer you need to expand your search area
  • Options
    We were in Port Clinton last week. Lots of boats but either too old or too new...lol. Wasn't much in our price range.

Might have to expand our search but it's tough for us to be away overnight. We have a dog and nobody to watch it so we are kind of limited to 6 or 7 hours gone, which means about 2 hours away. We could probably figure out arrangements if we really NEED to but it won't be easy. Last time we spent a night away from home was about 5 years  ago.
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    @boatman37 I have a 2007 280 EC with a lot of upgrades that I've done in the past 3 seasons that I have been thinking about parting ways with. Message me if your interested. I am in Metro Detroit
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Thanks. Supposed to look at a Regal tomorrow. Will let you know. Detroit is only about 4-5 hours away
  • Options
    Well funny story here. Drove over an hour to see the Regal. It was in pretty rough  shape. The owner said the detailer was on his way to pick it up. We went home then went down to our local shop to talk to them. Pulled in and that Regal was sitting there. I go in and tell the owner and he says the boat is junk and he is calling the owner to tell him to come and get it. Said it will take $10,000 to get it decent and and wants nothing to do with it...lol. So the Regal is out.
    Called about a 270 Sundancer 3 hours away but the guy said 2 people were coming to look at it today. Told him I wasn't driving 3 hours to find out somebody bought it so he was supposed to call me after they left but I haven't heard back yet.
    Going to take a break for now. I think I have seen or called  about every boat within 100 miles and no luck. Either rough shape or already sold. Going to the movies tonight and forget about boating. At this point probably won't find anything until the end of the season.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 342 diesel mint. 
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    What kinda gas mileage does it get......pepper or speare....
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a quest...i went out to Texas and looked at a 270..even paid to survey it...failed and move on. It takes time unless you roll into dealer and buy a new one...
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    We looked 2 years...
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,538 mod
    Today's lesson of the day:  don't shop for a boat in July.  

April.
    October.

The boats on the market in July are the ones that wouldn't sell in April because they are in rough shape, or overpriced.  At this point, maybe you just wait for the end-of-season bargains in October.
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Today's lesson of the day:  don't shop for a boat in July.  

April.
    October.

The boats on the market in July are the ones that wouldn't sell in April because they are in rough shape, or overpriced.  At this point, maybe you just wait for the end-of-season bargains in October.
    You might be right
  • Options
    I don't know the boat, but you could try this one if you haven't already.

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks Greg. Sounds pretty good other than the genny shutting down. Will show my wife when she gets home. Took a 2nd look at a local 2006 Crownline 250CR yesterday. Talking to the seller about it so will see where that leads. A little smaller than I was wanting but it is spotless.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod

Take your time.  You definitely do not want to buy a boat smaller than you are looking for.  That will just cost you more money when you turn around next spring and sell for bigger.  Here is one listed on the Chesapeake (I know there are a few people on that side of the bay that maybe can peek at it?):

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2003/Rinker-270-Fiesta-Vee-2965926/Abingdon/MD/United-States?refSource=standard listing#.W0zW9E3D-RE

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% with @Dream_Inn. I never heard anyone complain that he bought a boat that was too big but if I had a $ for every time I heard someone say - "I should have bought the next size up - If only it was a bit longer and wider...... Sometimes referred to as '"two foot itis". IMO get the size right first time.
  • Options
    DO NOT start settling for a 250 whatever. I guarantee you will regret it. Our 270 seemed so huge at first coming from a 20 foot day boat. But in our second season I already find it small. Already looking at 300's and 310's.
    Admiral is telling me I have to wait. :'(
  • Options
    Yeah I completely understand that. Our last boat was a 250. The size wasn't that much of an issue but more the amenities (or lack thereof). I figured if we were getting a newer boat might was well go bigger but if ours had AC and windlass we probably would have kept it. I do like the fact that I would be able to keep my truck for the next boat. Anything bigger and I am likely looking at a 2500. Mine is rated at about 8600lbs. (2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 6 spd auto 3.55 gears).

On the other hand I have looked at several 27-28' boats the past few weeks and in our budget the larger boats usually are a little rougher condition. The 250 we looked at is spotless (and a few years newer than anything else we have seen).

It's a tough call. Been tossing it around whether I would regret a 25' boat but after 3 years with our last boat I was never really bothered by the size (it was a 1986 Sea Ray 250 Sundancer). It just didn't have AC, windlass, or a comfortable seating layout that we were looking for.
  • Options
    The other consideration in deciding we wanted a 270 was it was bar none the most possible boat we could get with the best room and stay single engine. Yes, I've had to learn how to dock her but only one engine to care for, oil change, wnterize etc. Love it. High demand and hard to find a good one but worth it. Your budget is a little higher so maybe more choices. Later 280's nice too, but I think narrower hull. Could be wrong.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I had an older (1997) 280 and it had a 10 foot beam.  We traded up for similar reasons plus the prospect of taking a long trip (like we did).  Would hope the newer 280s were just as wide.

She had twin 4.3 and wasn't too bad on gas.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    The .07-08ish 280's are 9'1", at least our dock neighbors is.

I have the same thoughts about the single engine. While twins is nice, it's twice the work and not really needed on the Ohio River.
  • Options
    The 270 and the 280EC are both 9'1" beam. Where do you dock at?
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Bridgewater, on the Beaver River. It's about 10 miles past the Dashields dam