Options

Horizon 600 windlass

Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
well went to secure my anchor rode today and found this:

Shaft blew out the side!  Still works, for the moment, but obviously doomed.  What is anyone using to replace the discontinued 600 series?  Drop in or at least close?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
PC BYC, Holland, MI

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the Lewmar Pro series 700 is the drop in. I thought that Al recommended the 1000 series. They make a free fall version as well.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris, dont you search topics? LOLOL
  • Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    I have this windlass too. Are there greasing or oiling points on it?
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe the Lewmar Pro series 700 is the drop in. I thought that Al recommended the 1000 series. They make a free fall version as well.
    Ditto, I replaced with the 1000

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pistole said:
    I have this windlass too. Are there greasing or oiling points on it?
    Not without disassembling it. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    Ditto, I replaced with the 1000
    No drilling or new wiring needed? 
  • Options
    Depends how you are wired now. Mine was direct switched and wired from the switches but the 1000 draws more so they provided a new switch and contactor so had to rewire a little behind these (they also send a new overload/isolator as part of the kit.) In the end it was a plus as I added foot switches later and they needed to drive a contactor. If your current unit is direct switch wired you'll have to do the same, if via contactor then check the rating of it - or swap them over.

No drilling, direct drop in mounting wise.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    GreggGregg Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Just replaced mine with the 700. Very happy with it. 
  • Options
    Ordered a 700 today. I don’t want to be rewiring. lol. Now just to get to the underside. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I went ahead and ordered the 1000 today just because I figured a little extra power would be fine and I do want foot pedals..

Got this one for just under 700 bucks US

https://www.imarineusa.com/Lewmar6657011108-102.aspx

• Options
    icoultha said:
    Depends how you are wired now. Mine was direct switched and wired from the switches but the 1000 draws more so they provided a new switch and contactor so had to rewire a little behind these (they also send a new overload/isolator as part of the kit.) In the end it was a plus as I added foot switches later and they needed to drive a contactor. If your current unit is direct switch wired you'll have to do the same, if via contactor then check the rating of it - or swap them over.

No drilling, direct drop in mounting wise.
    Hopefully there's a youtube walk through for this  :D
  • Options
    I have an electrical background so didn’t need it. PM me if you want and I’ll help where I can

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    J3ff said:
    I went ahead and ordered the 1000 today just because I figured a little extra power would be fine and I do want foot pedals..

Got this one for just under 700 bucks US

https://www.imarineusa.com/Lewmar6657011108-102.aspx

I have to say I've never seen a company ship free shipping so fast, this is due to be delivered today... and the original price was the cheapest I could find. Have to recommend this place! 
  • Options
    icoultha said:
    I have an electrical background so didn’t need it. PM me if you want and I’ll help where I can
    I understand the diagram, interested to hear where you put things.. where'd you put the contactor? It looks like I'll need to run two additional wires to it, depending on placement... but that'll depend on your answer :) 
  • Options
    I hung it behind the switch, zip tied it with the circuit breaker so it doesn’t move round. No issue since installed. I had to run a pair of switch wires forward to where I mounted the foot switches that was a challenge t there was a decent void to slip a cable through.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    where did you get the connector that snaps onto the back of the contactor? mine didn't come with one... and yes, that's what I was planning to do.. 
  • Options
    If I recall they are standard slide on or ring crimp connectors, something different? Send a photo.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    nevermind, I see how it works, tomorrow looks like a rain day here, going to mess with it then! Hoping the 1000 will have enough power that I'll never have to change it again. 
  • Options
    FYI That 1000 needs bigger line/chain I believe.  

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
     Depends on the gypsy. When I replaced one I did the rode also so got to match.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    @Black_Diamond is there anyway you can pop that cover off the horizon 600 and take a picture of the shaft coming out of the motor? I'm messing with my 600 and not quite ready to bite the $700 bullet for the pro fish. It seems like this little gear get tight on the shaft in one direction, but not the other. Just want to see if I have it together right.

• Options
    If I can I will. Might be a week tho.  

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    If I can I will. Might be a week tho.  
    I might be interested in purchasing the whole thing from ya depending on the condition of the gears inside there. LMK, thanks.
  • Options
    Let me know. It was still somehow working when I pulled it out.  Pay for shipping and it is yours.  

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I'll send ya mine for the cost of shipping, you send me more $$ if you think you owe me anything for it. 
    :) 
  • Options
    Ok, Let do quotes guys. My zip code is 40505, Lexington, KY. It will go to a business address if that matters. What is your zip codes and I'll check a generic quote with the post office.
  • Options
    49419. Probably looking at near 35#

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    @Black_Diamond looks like about $35-45 depending on UPS or USPS. I just did a 12x12x12 box at 35 lbs. Dimensions might be smaller in the end. Let me know about that gear that pushed through the cover.
  • Options
    I have not taken it apart yet. It is in the garage. lol. If you want it, I need to ship it tomorrow or it is a week before I can afterwards. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    take both and make one that works! :) my gears are prob a bit chewed up.. but the housing and motor is fine