• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good idea!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update:

so about 90% complete on the windlass replacement. I went with the Lewmar 700 Pro Series to avoid rewiring. 

Access is good once you pull apart the front berth wall. I added in 1/4” AL backing plates for the new windlass. Replacing the switch is a pain as it is not a drop in to the original switch. Hoping to be operational this week!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have my 1000 in - didn't rewire anything (yet) haha... living on the edge over here.. I thought about a backing plate... really seems weak to just have 3 bolts. Going to attempt the re-wiring over the weekend, but for now I'm just not stressing the windlass as to hopefully not burn out the switch. I'll say one thing, the switch that came with the Horizon 600 looks is a MUCH beefier switch than the one the 1000 comes with.. Makes me wonder if a 600 switch is fine.. 

Either way having a windlass that doesn't slip at the chain to rope connection is a dream! 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats because of the increased amp draw!!!
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you're saying the old switch should be fine ?  :D
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    A 50 amp switch contacts will melt eventually with a 70 amp load or whatever The 1000 draws
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    A 50 amp switch contacts will melt eventually with a 70 amp load or whatever The 1000 draws
    Hopefully they fail open and not fused together. If there's any damaged wire between the fuse and the winch it could ignite before the fuse pops. The wire runs a long distance - battery to bow.