I have never seen a power boat high-centered on a sailboat

LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
We passed there this morning, but I'm happy to report that we missed it by a few hours.

boat collision

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/fishing-boat-sail-boat-collide-in-chesapeake-bay/22760756 

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
     :#  :#:#:#
    2008 330EC
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrong way to repower. Mr fishing boat captain is in a whole lotta trouble. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That ain't gonna buff out......
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
    Just read a post in my sea ray forum where one of the members there was on that fishing boat. He said it was brand new and the maiden voyage for it. There were 6 on board. The member had his back to the direction the sail came from so didn't see it until somebody yelled. He turned and said he saw the mast. He isn't sure why the captain didn't see it and said there was no alcohol involved. The member had to run up and turn the bilge pump on and tell everyone to put on life jackets. Oddly he said you had to hold the bilge pump button down for it to run. He said there were no injuries other than a few small cuts and bruises.
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Somebody's got some 'splainin to do!
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Yes, we heard this on our VHF yesterday (LaRea, I bet we came close to crossing paths :) ). I got a picture from someone in our marina that saw it. Not a pretty site.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    looks like the sailboat captain had a clear view. Wonder if he sounded 5 short blasts or tried to come about. Both captains being a little careless me thinks.
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleeping at the wheel, non boater, i thought blow boats had right away? I hope the guy stay's on land and you guy's up there are safe from him. 
    Boat Name : 

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like the sailboat captain had a clear view. Wonder if he sounded 5 short blasts or tried to come about. Both captains being a little careless me thinks.
    Very little the sailboat could have done under sail. If he turned to starboard he would have been turning straight in to the power boat and if he jibed to port the boom would have come across and could have killed someone. He absolutely had the right of way. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... and both captains have a responsibility to avoid a collision, but you're probably right that the sailboat couldn't have done anything.  My visit last week to Annapolis reminded me how busy those waters can get.  You really have to stay on your toes.  
    Annapolis is just crazy with sailboats.  When we leave the area, on our way back (like yesterday after being out for 10 days), my wife always says with a sigh, welcome back home...seeing all the sailboats going their many ways...and way too many power boats zooming all over as well.  I swear every sailboat and fisherman knows my GPS course and plans to be right in the middle of it!

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, maybe I'm missing something.  The sailboat is the stand-on vessel because it's under sail.  It's doing maybe 8 MPH.  Given how the power boat landed, the sail boat should have been off the port-bow and visible if the captain was looking forward.  So how can he not see the sailboat in plenty of time to steer and avoid it?  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Two 40-foot sails would be easy to see, but only if you're looking at them.  I'm thinking the captain was distracted by "maiden voyage" excitement.

Also, he must have killed the throttles just before impact.  That raised the bow, and the boat climbed up on top of the sailboat rather than cutting her in half and sinking her.  
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He may have been on Auto Pilot too.

Very much doubt it.  Definitely not an Auto pilot area, and no reason (or probably desire) for such a thing on maiden voyage.

Dream_Inn said:

Very much doubt it.  Definitely not an Auto pilot area, and no reason (or probably desire) for such a thing on maiden voyage.
    Dont tell @LaRea that
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stodge said:
    I'm sorry, maybe I'm missing something.  The sailboat is the stand-on vessel because it's under sail.  It's doing maybe 8 MPH.  Given how the power boat landed, the sail boat should have been off the port-bow and visible if the captain was looking forward.  So how can he not see the sailboat in plenty of time to steer and avoid it?  

MANY fishing charters have auto pilot. The captain is also the first mate ... he gets the boat pointed in a direction, let's auto pilot take over, and then goes to putting out rods, and your primary perspective is the stern of the boat. There's been many situations where captains have not paid attention and ended up in close call situations with other boats. I mean, remember that video a few months back where a boat ran over the back of another fishing vessel? That guy was on auto pilot for sure.

So, yes, the sail boat had right of way in this situation, but also agree with other posts, that ALL captains have a duty to avoid a collision, right of way or not. If the sail boat captain cannot prove he did what he could to avoid the collision, he may be held accountable in some part (did you see the boat, when did you see the boat, what did you do to alarm the other boat, did you attempt to change your coarse to avoid a collision, etc).

The only times a sail boat does not automatically have the right of way as pretty much everyone would know is (1) if they are actually navigating under power, (2) if the other boat has more or similar rights (also a sail boat, commercial boat, boat at anchor), and (3) if they if they are overtaking another boat.

I'm not sure if everyone knows that last rule. It may seem obvious, but if the sail boat were to overtake and then cut in front of the power boat, the sail boat is responsible.  The boat being overtaken is ALWAYS the stand on vessel.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Good points MarkB.  I actually had the that last statement happen to me.  I was on one engine (non-power steering engine too) and had a sailboat overtake and cut in front of me (yes, embarrassing enough that he passed by).  It sure ticked me off because he tacked right in front and I had to slow down even more!!

• GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I think that the  sailboaters take advantage of that right of way rule sometimes 
    GMSLITHO said:
    I think that the  sailboaters take advantage of that right of way rule sometimes 
    Yes, especially when you are out fishing

We get all kinds of crab pots in our channels as well.  & running trot lines thru the channels...then they look at you when you throw them a wake.

It's always funny to see sailboaters with their sail up, but they have no wind in them, just using the motor to move along.  Some to take advantage of the rules.

The autopilot never becomes the captain of the boat.  And it's not like they were 20 miles offshore ... it's a congested area with constant rec and commercial boat traffic.  
  • halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes I compare sailboats  to pedestrians in crosswalks around here. Even though the pedestrian has the right of way, they have a responsibility to keep an eye out for motorists as they cross. Around here people walk right out and expect you to stop on a dime because they are in the right of way. They would rather be right with two broken legs(or damaged boat) than take some responsibility while crossing with the right of way.  When I drive ,pilot, or cross a street I ALWAYS assume somebody else may do something stupid.  There...got that off my chest :) 
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I was out on there on Saturday volunteering for the CRAB regatta, mostly captains who race their non-racing sailboats.  Those SOBs are heartless when crossing in-front of each other.  And Im talking about when not racing.  Here is how thick it was:

That is only a small portion, 81 boats eventually.   
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    MarkB said:
    Stodge said:

MANY fishing charters have auto pilot. The captain is also the first mate ... he gets the boat pointed in a direction, let's auto pilot take over, and then goes to putting out rods, and your primary perspective is the stern of the boat. There's been many situations where captains have not paid attention and ended up in close call situations with other boats. I mean, remember that video a few months back where a boat ran over the back of another fishing vessel? That guy was on auto pilot for sure.

That does not relieve the captain from keeping a watch or having a crew member do it.    

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• 69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    I was out on there on Saturday volunteering for the CRAB regatta, mostly captains who race their non-racing sailboats.  Those SOBs are heartless when crossing in-front of each other.  And Im talking about when not racing.  Here is how thick it was:

That is only a small portion, 81 boats eventually.   

That doesn't even look fun. 
    LaRea said:
    The autopilot never becomes the captain of the boat.  And it's not like they were 20 miles offshore ... it's a congested area with constant rec and commercial boat traffic.  

You'll be surprised, here on Lake Ontario, tonnes of sail boats, other fishing boats (like 40 to 50 boats), and still the autopilot gets used. It is handy I have to say, but you have to be constantly aware of where the boat's going and who's around. Many guys even fish on their own here, and so it's one man to navigate, fish, reel, net, clean ... that can turn into a real gong show, if that person decides to do it close to other boats. Most single anglers here, just go some place well away from other boats.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Stodge said:
    MarkB said:
    Stodge said:

That does not relieve the captain from keeping a watch or having a crew member do it.    
    Sorry, did I give the impression that I think it's okay for someone to slap it in autopilot and then not care where the boat is going? Please tell me you were just agreeing with me ... :)

"Boat + Water = Fun"

@MarkB, we're preaching to the choir here. 

I use my autopilot 90% of the time I'm underway, and I often use it around other boats.  But if something else on the boat requires my attention, two things happen first before I step away from the helm.  I confirm by visual and radar that there's no collision risk for at least 1-2 minutes (i.e. 1-2 miles if I'm on plane), and then I hand over the watch to the Admiral.   

In the sailboat collision, it appears those things didn't happen.