Options

Waste tank questions...

2»

Comments

• Options
    CaptianDanCaptianDan Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I have the same setup as @rinker342cr From the toilet I have one pipe going to the holding tank, from the holding tank I have a small vent tube and one pipe to the Y pipe valve. From the Y Valve I have two output pipes, one to the waste outlet on the side of the boat (pump-out) and one to the macerator for over board discharge. I then have a separate macerator switch for when I want to empty the holding tank, obviously overboard only.

"Pipe Dream"
    2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
    2 x 350 MAG MPI Horizon Petrol

• Options
    rinker342crrinker342cr Member Posts: 39
    CaptainDan you made your own switch? or the boat already has a switch somewhere??? i just got the boat and i cannot find that switch anywhere on the boat and i think my electric meter is bad on the pannel because it reads empty all the time along with the fresh water......  and i used the toilet a couple times and i now i have a poop smell all over the **** boat lol!!there is not a single pump station in this country  so nothing else to do but macerate it out does anyone know where the tank is located?? i need to check if it cracked or something or is the smell coming from a FULL TANK?
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Hello rinker342cr.

A an idea that works pretty good for me. Install a door or a port hole on each side of the aft storage locker that is at the back side of the aft bunk.  I have the doors and they work great.  I can open and look in, see the water line of either tank and know the status.  The inaccurate guages can then be ignored.

I have posted this idea a number of times and for some it might seem too often but there are fresh faces to the site who might be interested.

Too bad there are no pump out stations where you are.  They are everywhere here.  It is almost a given anywhere we go that this service is available.  It might be a good business for someone in your area to initiate.  

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Rinker342, waste tank is under the port seat. there is a deckplate that you can unscrew and look into. You can really see the tank if you take the aft cabin apart.

As TonyWalker stated, you can put some doors in the middle aft cabin storage locker. I could not do that to mine because I have a grey water tank in there. Instead, I used some LED spreader lights and automotive backup cameras on my waste and water tanks. I then wired those to a small monitor that I mounted in the aft cabin. Turn the switch on, the tanks are lit up and I can see the level via the cameras.....screw the dumb gages....I put brand new ones the year before last and they stopped being accurate towards the end of the season.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    My boat has no deck plate under the port seat ,but u can get in the storage area under port seat and look over the top edge is open than u can see top of waste tank can't really tell the  level though .I think I'm also gonna install doors on walls of storage area in aft cabin so I can check level that way.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    CaptianDanCaptianDan Member Posts: 94 ✭✭

@rinker342cr The switch I have was an aftermarket add-on but is very straight forward to add if needed.  Basically take a 12v and ground from your helm and route through to macerator, mine is in the engine bay.  Route the live to a two way Single Pole Single Through (SPST) switch and back the macerator from the switch.

My switch is placed in the storage opening on the back of the curved seat out of the way to avoid accidental discharge. I also have labelled it for European CE regs.

Also ensure the Y valve is in the correct position for discharge.  Hope that helps.

Also on the smell I would check a few things:
    Y Valve - make sure this has not cracked/split (I have heard a few times of this happening).
    Hoses - smell permeates through over time
    Vent hose - Fit charcoal filter
    Pumps - Leaks, etc
    Toilet - Check for backflow and obviously toilet issues including joker valve
    Waste tank inspection - Hard to do but check for splits/cracks

Inspection doors in the aft lockers are a great idea too!!

"Pipe Dream"
    2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
    2 x 350 MAG MPI Horizon Petrol

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a big orange filter and put that on your waste tank vent. It will solve the smell.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....unless it is coming from a cracked Y valve for overboard discharge or the hoses leading to it. I do not think the Big O would help with that?
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    correction ... after he fixes everything, get a big orange filter.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    The Salt Shaker is a "big orange" boat.  We have the purest boat in the marina since installing it.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,568 mod
    @rinker342cr where do you keep your boat?  Many US states have Government-sponsored "Clean Vessel Act" programs to help build pump-out facilities for boaters.  Might be interesting to check, although it takes time and work to get anything done.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ah, I just hang but but over the stern and let it rip.....never could get my bathroom door open.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JK- Tiki, glad to see your still hanging out a bit- and sounds like you did not sell your boat? We were over in Dunedin in July for a week, watched it rain 23" sitting in the marina....that's two years running we got spanked by the weather but July is an iffy week to boat anyway.
  • Options
    rinker342crrinker342cr Member Posts: 39
    LaRea i have it in flamingo in costa rica i found the marina LOS SUENOS that has the service but its about 8 hours away by boat and 4 hours by car lol so its useless i finally got the switch and macerator working and i have to say i threw up all over the place jajajjaja but i got rid of the smell everytime i flushed i guess the tank was way over flowed i dont know why the macerator wasnt working on its own i had to rig a switch to make it work my guess is it works with a level sensor or something and when its full it triggers it