Options

Man Overboard - Lessons Learned

TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
Still a bit shaken after thinking about what could have happened today...

This afternoon when returning from a pleasant family outing, and approaching our dock, my 16 y/o son posted himself on the swim platform holding a line attached to the mid-ship cleat of our 310 EC. Preparing to step off and start the tie off when we pulled in.

As we made the turn to port from the main harbor fairway into our dock's fairway we saw a boat making way toward us. (Not visible until we turned due to other docked vessels.) I stopped, and decided to back out so he had room to maneuver out and into the main fairway. Everything was going great. We passed port-to-port, and I began my turn back into the fairway. There was a bit of a wind picking up on our port side which caused me to drift starboard toward the opposing dock.

I noticed I was getting extremely close to a finger dock and then things started happening in movie slow-motion.  I saw my hand on the throttle and instead of tapping it, I gunned it. All I heard was the sound of the engines roar. Next thing I know my wife yelled "MAN OVER BOARD!" My son got thrown off the rear of the boat. It was all just surreal, tunnel vision. Luckily, a moment later she yelled, "He's fine!"

I have no idea how I regained control of the boat, but I instinctively did, and we docked - with the help of numerous boating neighbors who came running when they heard the MOB called out. My son swam over to the opposite dock and walked back to our boat.

Everyone, including me, was joking about my goof up, etc. --  and I am so glad it did turn out OK -- but I've been thinking these past few hours on how it could have go so WRONG.

What if it was night? What if my son hit his head on an adjacent dock or boat when he fell? What if he hit the prop? What if it was my 80 y/o father-in-law and not my 16 y/o swim team son.

It's freaking me out a bit. But I think a few of my lessons learned are:

1. Anyone on the swim platform assisting with docking will be required to wear a life jacket. And if it at night, have a light attached to the jacket. (Already have whistles on all my PFDs.)

2. Instead of trying to rush to get to the slip (to avoid holding up other traffic) -- just freakin' wait until I am comfortable with my position, heading, and intentions.

Sorry this is so long, but I think it's part of me thinking through this whole episode -- and if anyone has any helpful suggestions on anything else I could have, should have, or should not have done, please feel free to pass them along.

Thanks for listening  :)

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Glad it all turned out OK and your son is fine. However I will disagree with you on one of your "lessons learned". I never ever put anyone on the swim platform when the boat is moving. I do not let anyone on my bow when its moving. There is no need for anyone on the swim platform all assistance can occur from the cockpit ........ Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Something else you may want pratice is a M.O.B.drill while ubderway. Find a clear area of water, have someone throw a float ot fender overboard and see how hard it is to turn the boat while maintaining visual contact. While serving in the U.S. Navy, we often had man overboard drills onboard our destroyer. 
  • Options
    @raybo3 - Good point, yet at some point someone has to step off the back to tie off the lines. So waiting until I'm physically in the slip would have made the difference. Thank you.
  • Options
    @jhofman - Ironically we did practice MOB last week when our front sunpads went flying overboard while out on the lake. I actually yelled out to the family "Let's practice a MOB drill."

And it went well :-)
  • Options
    TonyG13 said:
    @raybo3 - Good point, yet at some point someone has to step off the back to tie off the lines. So waiting until I'm physically in the slip would have made the difference. Thank you.
    @TonyG13 don't people from your marina help out when your docking? I just throw them a line and they will tie off. Then after the boat is tied off I make my adjustments. Everyone helps at my Yacht Club.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    @raybo3 - Yes, when they are around. Weekends for sure, but since I work from home I'll take friends out during a weekday and it's usually deserted, so we're on our own.

Sometimes I wish I could put in a JetDock   :)

• Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    at my marina , there is no one there to help and its up to us to tie up etc. My son who is 15 is the one with the line and stands on the swim platform wearing a lifevest whilst I back our 330 into our slip. As I near the slip and he's getting ready to step off , I pay alot of attention to the throttles because a mistake by me can really hurt him. I have told him many times never ever ever get in the way of the boat and the dock. Crash the boat whatever it doesn't matter , don't get hurt. Reading this thread I will make it a point to remind him to keep a hand on a handrail as I am backing down. good read , thanks and glad that your boy is good.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with raybo3, no one one swim platform when it's in gear, foreword or reverse.  If you have enough fenders out and your dock is bumper ed. I do not see any reason for some one to be there. You will bounce off till it settles down. When the boat has been put in neutral, then moment can be made on to swim platform. With a nod or go ahead from capt.  
    I'm glad your son is a good swimmer and ok. It had to be a heart pounding moment. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Very scary..agree nobody on the swim platform while in gear.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PFD’s: unless you are wearing one, they are all but useless. 

Glad things worked our. Scary as all I’m sure and lessons learned. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Scary. Glad it worked out. I back into my slip and my wife goes out on the swim platform but not till after I am in neutral.

On another note we were out today and anchored on the Ohio river. On the other side of the river a cabin cruiser with 6 or so on it comes down river on plane on the opposite side of the lake with a girl standing on the bow holding onto the rail. About 10 minutes later the same boat comes back up river slow and the girl was sitting at the very back. They were pretty far away so couldn't tell exactly what was going on but looked like she was holding her head and everyone else on the boat was standing around her looking at her. It is possible she was fine and they were having a normal conversation but based on what I saw 10 minutes earlier and just the whole scenario I'm guessing something happened while she was up there.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This weekend, where we boat - Rockport, Thousand Islands an 11 year old boy drowned in a boating accident. He was not wearing a life vest.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    Glad to hear all's okay, but ... I can't agree with the comments.  How can you dock a boat that size without a mate on the swim platform?  
  • Options
    agree. I rely on him telling me that the boat has cleared the edge of the finger before rotating the boat (we're in an awkward slip). I can't see anything from the helm seat.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree my wife stands on the platform with stern line. Always on the way out she says I'm out here. Same with putting up or down the fenders. I always say one hand has to on a rail.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    LaRea said:
    Glad to hear all's okay, but ... I can't agree with the comments.  How can you dock a boat that size without a mate on the swim platform?  
    Very easy! Whatever can be done on the swim platform can be done from the cockpit. I never ever put anyone on the swim platform or the bow. Putting someone on the swim platform is an accident waiting to happen IMO.......
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree I keep everyone in the boat till I’m in the slip I go out and dock alone quite often I put one of those wheels on my finger if it’s windy I just put the boat against it and pivot on it to get in the slip 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    This weekend, where we boat - Rockport, Thousand Islands an 11 year old boy drowned in a boating accident. He was not wearing a life vest.
    Seems like every holiday weekend a mishap occurs, I feel for the family.  
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    I'll grant that it's possible to dock without going on the swim platform.  What about when you're approaching another boat to tie up alongside?  You need somebody on the bow to toss a line.  
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, @TonyG13 I want to say I'm so happy there was a positive ending. Also appreciate you sharing your experience so others may learn despite perhaps enduring some constructive criticism.
    Like others have stated there is no dock help at our marina and I also quite often am alone when docking. With or without passengers my method is the same every time. Before idling into the harbour I (Or whoever is with me) lower the fenders, open the rear door and ready the boat hook. Everyone is ordered to remain seated until the boat is tied off. As I approach the slip I turn out and then back towards the slip. As the boat approaches the end of the finger dock I slip into neutral, grab the boat hook and hustle back, across the platform and onto the dock, allowing the boats momentum to carry it in while I guide it with the hook. My lines stay tied at the dock so I slip first the front then the rear line and then re-board to shut the engine off. I always leave it running until firmly tied or anchored and same with leaving, lines aren't cast or anchor pulled until engine running. If I have to I can jump back aboard and re-position if need be, but so far hasn't happened. Really no other way to do it with how my slip is positioned and no pilings to grab from inside the cockpit. Has to be done from the platform.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Willhound said:
    First, @TonyG13 I want to say I'm so happy there was a positive ending. Also appreciate you sharing your experience so others may learn despite perhaps enduring some constructive criticism.
    Like others have stated there is no dock help at our marina and I also quite often am alone when docking. With or without passengers my method is the same every time. Before idling into the harbour I (Or whoever is with me) lower the fenders, open the rear door and ready the boat hook. Everyone is ordered to remain seated until the boat is tied off. As I approach the slip I turn out and then back towards the slip. As the boat approaches the end of the finger dock I slip into neutral, grab the boat hook and hustle back, across the platform and onto the dock, allowing the boats momentum to carry it in while I guide it with the hook. My lines stay tied at the dock so I slip first the front then the rear line and then re-board to shut the engine off. I always leave it running until firmly tied or anchored and same with leaving, lines aren't cast or anchor pulled until engine running. If I have to I can jump back aboard and re-position if need be, but so far hasn't happened. Really no other way to do it with how my slip is positioned and no pilings to grab from inside the cockpit. Has to be done from the platform.

what if there is wind and current ? You're confident enough to leave your helm station unattended ?
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My slip is well protected and no current. I did get sideways once fro winf but was able to get the rear line on, re-board and push off with the boat hook from the opposite side. And no choice really....zero dock staff and quite often by myself. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Same as Willhound if I have experienced help great if not I just tell them to sit tight and I’ll dock the boat 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad everyone is okay. We did have to put someone on the swim platform to step off at times, as there was no one around to help. Basically, I had someone on the back line, and another to step off and get the bow, but they could wait at the transom and not physically be on the swim platform until it was time to step off. And yes, no need to have them back there until you are getting ready to back into the slip.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get it....from any of our boats, it's one step down from the back of the boat to the platform and then go about your business- if one or two seconds is going to make or brake your docking then your going to have a problem anyway and I would not want anyone on that platform at all in any circumstance. That just seems like an accident waiting to happen as was described above which could have ended very badly and I'm thinking a whole different conversation on this thread had it.
  • Options
    Bad accident on the Colorado river this weekend 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    15 year old Florida boy lost his life when he fell overboard this weekend and the prop tore up his head. Sad
  • Options
    @ Handymans342 -- That was one of my post-incident nightmares. Definitely changing my docking procedures. Were there any details of how it happened?