Man Overboard - Lessons Learned

2»

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems the Dad was at fault but accident
  • Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    For the boy to be run over , he would probably have been at or near the bow, unless he was at the stern and dad hit reverse.

Bad way to go.
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    Sad. My next door neighbors son died several years ago from getting hit by the prop. I think he was tubing or something. Not sure.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    LaRea said:
    I'll grant that it's possible to dock without going on the swim platform.  What about when you're approaching another boat to tie up alongside?  You need somebody on the bow to toss a line.  
    I always toss the bow line from the helm...... Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    LaRea said:
    Glad to hear all's okay, but ... I can't agree with the comments.  How can you dock a boat that size without a mate on the swim platform?  
    Very easy! Whatever can be done on the swim platform can be done from the cockpit. I never ever put anyone on the swim platform or the bow. Putting someone on the swim platform is an accident waiting to happen IMO.......
    I agree, for years I have always had to tell people multiple times to STAY IN YOUR SEAT till I'm ready for you to hop off and help hold the boat. You bring the boat to a stand still in a position in your slip that you are happy with (even if it takes MULTIPLE times back and forth) and once the captain is happy with how the boat is sitting in the slip you let them off. If the wind is crazy or the current is strong it may have to happen quickly, or you may have to keep it in neutral while they get off and then bump it back into gear once they are safely on the dock. Either way, no one is on the platform while the boat is in gear ever over here. 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    LaRea said:
    I'll grant that it's possible to dock without going on the swim platform.  What about when you're approaching another boat to tie up alongside?  You need somebody on the bow to toss a line.  
    I always toss the bow line from the helm...... Just say'n
    again...same thing.

Typically if we're tying up I'll have a line tied to the front cleat that is long enough to tie up but not long enough to get stuck in the prop..that line will be tied up to one of the posts that holds up the windshield.. as I approach the boat tying up to, drop the fenders (from the helm for the front) quickly do the rears, then untie the bow line and hand it to the person on the bow of the other boat (always always come in with a little forward thrust, and then some hard reverse to guide the rear...).. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    We all have our own comfort zone.  I'm completely comfortable having the Admiral on the bow or swim platform while I'm maneuvering.  We have done it well over a thousand times. 

Throwing bow lines from the helm is not practical on my boat.  I'd have a heavy coil of 5/8" line that is cleated 20 feet in front of me.  I'd have to throw it frisbee-style to clear the windshield, canvas and hardtop.  And I'm supposed to accurately hit a person 15-20 feet away?  I didn't grow up on the dang rodeo circuit!  :)  
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    To each his own safety comes first over everything sorry just not safe having somebody on the swim platform when the boat is moving. Everything can be done from the cockpit that can be done from the bow or the swim platform in my opinion I have rafted off other boats and docked my 342 and my other boats for over 20 years and never allow anyone standing up on the ball or on the swim platform so I would never put my children or anybody else In Harm's Way....... just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My admiral always is on the swim platform but no matter what I do I cant get her to fall off!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod

I'm not sure how I'd actually be able to tie my bow off onto pilings from the helm or cockpit.  I don't let anyone on the platform though until I'm at least in the slip and not maneuvering.  But yes, each boat is different for sure and I'm sure everyone does what is best (well, I tried to stay off of this topic, but it didn't last).  There is nobody at my marina to grab the lines or hand them to me, but I go bow in.  So, first mate waits until I'm in on the lift, then steps off on dock and ties it up (only two lines).  Lift also makes it easy for us in our own slip.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    @raybo3 - I agree with what @LaRea implies, that most things can be done from the cockpit, not everything.

Consider this scenario: Coming bow in to a slip with the dock on your port side and a port wind blowing you away from the dock and to your neighbor's boat only eight (8) feet away. (My typical docking.) No way I can leave the helm. I need someone to assist - and most times that's someone on the boat, not the dock.

Your earlier points are well taken. My son should not have been on the platform while underway in the fairway. But once we are in the slip and stable enough - and in neutral long enough - someone needs to leave the boat at some point - via the safest route, which is usually the swim platform, to secure it.

Everyone has their own personal methods based on their own experience and circumstances - and none are absolute - and we all learn with time what is best for us. I learned my son on the platform too early is not a good idea. And now I will try what you and others have suggested, to find a new best method. That's what I love about this forum...
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    I don't get it....from any of our boats, it's one step down from the back of the boat to the platform and then go about your business- if one or two seconds is going to make or brake your docking then your going to have a problem anyway and I would not want anyone on that platform at all in any circumstance. That just seems like an accident waiting to happen as was described above which could have ended very badly and I'm thinking a whole different conversation on this thread had it.

You can't oversimplify situations. Your slips could be different to others. Help may be around or not. Wind, current all an issue. Tight slips.  Twin engines or single ... I had single, so maneuverability was not the best. So many parameters at play. Yes, I dream of that smooth docking experience all the time, but often it wasn't the case. There's no issue standing by the back door, and when you're 1 ft from the slip stepping off the platform. I've done it 100 times without putting anyone in danger.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"