Options

Gen 3 cool fuel issue

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Can anyone tell me on my boat with the 496 Mags (ser # 1A053122) if I need the two hose bib assembly for the fuel cooler or the three?  I believe I only saw 2 on mine, but I'd like to order it all today and wanted to double check.  Thanks.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hate to disappoint DA, would that be the KY with the automatic warm-up feature? Keep your rails clean boys! MT
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was told to me, and after crushing many orings trying to get them in there, I would have tried about anything... Seriously... It worked without any argument.. truth be told, though, I had my girl friend at the time buy it... I couldn't bring myself to do so.. :-D
  • Options

Alright, I purchased one new complete fuel cooler and a 3-bib hose (which I may not need if I cut the old one off correctly).  My plan is to remove the one causing issues and install new.  Take the old one, clean it in a lacquer thinner to remove the rest of the paint, get it back together, and if all looks well, use it for the other engine.

The latest fuel cooler now has a drain plug to allow for drainage for winterization.  What I've heard on the SR site, is even the new ones still have paint!  Hence why I'm hesitant about even buying the one (which I've alreay done), but it will keep my boat running while I take my time and try this paint cleaning process out.

After all this, as I mentioned, I'm still a bit concerned that the paint made it to the injectors.  I'm in the process of finding a local place that has the resources to clean them.  i believe it takes some type of high pressure machinery.

French, please take some pictures because I know there will be others unfortunately with this problem as well.  I will also take some pictures.

(on top of all this, I have a spun hub and two blowers I will be changing out - busy weekend!)

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you're going to have them cleaned, I highly rec an outfit like this one here..

if you opt to replace them, I highly rec you purchase duplicate injectors from a credible outfit that has match flowed them.... when these things are produced, they are lined up on a table based on their flow rates, regardless that they are all 'supposed' to flow the same... let's say it's a 24# injector rated at 43.5psi- it may flow 252cc per minute, and the one beside it rated the exact same may flow 246cc per minute.. from one end of that table to the other, it may vary as much as 20cc's, though they ohm out draw the precise same voltage... there may be very small to visibly different characteristics on the basket, or the tip- or something that causes the injector to drip or stream instead of spray.. those differences can cause gremlens to appear, and you'll play a difficult game trying to track them down...

I had no idea there was so much science involved in injectors until I had to learn, the hard way.. if you're going to address them, make your approach a cautious one, is all I'm trying to get across.. Oh, and don't believe what amounts to sales pitches from retailers- go directly to the manufacturers and look for flow rates.

• Options
    Alswagg said:
    Must be an East coast thing.  Yet to see a single incedent with the Gen III cool fuel.   Nice to boat in fresh water.  Oh, ya we have ethonal here too.   Again, really no issues with that either.    Al

Al, the paint issue definitely has nothing to do with the brackish water we are in.  I have not had the corrosion issue (knock on wood) that goes with the bulletin.  This boat was used in fresh water until last summer. 

I do have a feeling you will start seeing the issues crop up more in your area, but keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't.  The local place I've had work done has not really seen the paint issue, just a couple of the corrosion.  They also mentioned they had more of the corrosion problems on volvo, not merc.  That was the first I've heard that. It's just very ironic that two of us with the same year, same size boats, have the same problem in the same week.  (even both stbd engines)

Drew, at this point I'm hoping worst case cleaning the injectors is all that would be needed. Best case it doesn't need it all.  Another place that cleaned my injectors on the generator last year is hopefully the same I'd go with if need be.

• Options
    matts5150matts5150 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone thought of installing an inline clear cased filter after the cool fuel module so you can monitor if you see black paint specs in filter you know it's time to clean the cool fuel module. The issue with installing an inline filter is that you have to make sure it doesn't cut your fuel pressure down which is needed for fuel injected engines. I been trying to find an inline filter that will work for our application but I am afraid to make the modification by cutting the fuel line to install filter..since it's high pressure I would be afraid the hose clamps will loosen and spray fuel all over. Has anyone installed some sort of inline with success??? If so please share with us all.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would have to be metal with flare fittings im thinking
  • Options
    I might have received bad advice but I have been told that you can not install additional fuel filters on this system,  there are two,  or you will screw up the fuel flow. 
  • Options
    jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    I had read about this prior to buying my boat that has the module. The previous owner did have some popping noise in the engine and when he had it checked out, it was the regulator that needed replaced. It was clogged with the black paint. No issues since. Most of what I have read is that as long as the filter and the plastic basket is changed regularly there shouldn't be any major problems. However, I was talking to a Merc tech today about upgrading to SmartCraft gauges and thought I would ask about this too since I read it on here the other day. He said it's the cover that has the paint issue, and gave me the part numbers for the fix if I wanted to change it. Said to change the cover (the new covers are made with a differently so there's no paint chips) and new regulator since those get clogged. Here's the part number and prices: 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    glad my 05 does not have this but the older system. Guy at Marine Max said the same thing.....
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    No issues so far on my 2008 320. I inspect / replace the upper and lower filters every season. Just an FYI - I came across this video on youtube that shows what is going on with the paint flaking off the internal housing. There is also information about a lawyer contact for a possible class action lawsuit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ow4jkR0vR0
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    Also found a service bulletin concerning the barbed water fittings that seem prone to leaking:
    https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bulletins/001/04/2009/EN_01.PDF
  • Options
    As I've mentioned, I've seen both of the issues Frodo mentioned on my boat and also on several other boats.  In time, it will happen on any boat that has this gen 3 cooler.  I've replaced both of mine with upgraded units.

• Options
    @frodo thanks for the link.  Glad  Mercury  has a fix! 
  • Options
    bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    I was just faced with this issue $1300 to change out the fuel regulator, basket and plugs.

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    How about a way to take them off...
  • Options
    Yep, I had both of mine replaced AGAIN this past spring.  Along with all the fuel injectors.

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been researching and posting about changing my gen 3 cool fuel filters. Came across this thread on the paint flaking issues. Knock on wood, I have not had any issues but this thread kinda makes you think.
    I called Mercuiser and they said that it really was people using ethanol in their fuel that had chipping. I know for a fact that my boat has not seen ethanol from me or the previous owner which is the last 10 years. Wondering if I am less likely to have the chipped paint due to no ethanol in fuel. Anyone have chip issues that was making sure to use non ethanol?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Our vessel was a 2007 246 Captiva on a trailer. I don't know about the PO, but I always filled up with non ethanol premium, unless slipped at a distant lake for a week, in which case we had to fuel up with marina gas. I always added Startron fuel treatment as well. Didn't have the paint flaking issue during our tenure of ownership, but it was always a nagging concern.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No choice where I go. But no flaking so far will do my filters soon and will post pics.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Thanks guys. I will be doing my filters this weekend. Is it worth pulling the regulator and or pump lid to inspect? I dont want to risk breaking the pump lid bolts. Easy to check regulator? Two screws?

• Options
    regulator is very easy to check.  I'm thinking it was just one small bolt.  I have no choice but to use ethanol.  Unfortunately, between the first and second time replacing them both, startron did not help out the situation.  Again, easy to check and can help cause any further problems of getting to the fuel injectors.  My fuel injectors were all replaced the second time around as well.  Supposedly (I heard this before), that the "new" fuel modules I have will not flake.

• Options
    Thanks! Will have a look at it all and post some pics. You’ve definitely had quite a ride with these things.

• Options
    Thanks! Will have a look at it all and post some pics. You’ve definitely had quite a ride with these things.
    Yeah, if one only knew!  Just remember for everyone messing with this stuff.  Please, it is fuel and explosive.  Take every single precaution that you can and double check everything when you are done.  Also make sure all vapors are gone.

• Options
    I ended up leaving the regulators on. The fuel filter cap and  modules had no chipping at all so I decided to leave as is. 

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks nice and clean.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct