gaskets for riser and manifold...

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm do confused....I have the 350 MPI motor, 2006...so confused between dry joint, wet joint, cold riser...etc.....so I'm putting my new exhaust elbows on and someone is telling me the blocked gasket goes on the bottom at the manifold and the full flow goes between the riser and the elbow-one of my manifold gaskets is still on there and it for sure is the full flow gasket...and would look like coolant would go through the riser....also looking at the parts manual and while confusing as well, seems like it is saying for closed cooling with riser the full flow is on the bottom and the restricted  goes on the top....I'm going with the full flow on the bottom and restricted at the top so if someone might confirm before I fire this sucker up, I'd appreciate it....how about it @Alswagg or are you snowmobiling yet??

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    also, it is confusing that if coolant goes up through the riser, it would seem it would mix with water which I know it does not....
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that what is currently on your engine? Those are full open gaskets. What are the ones on the floor below the engine?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    I think I figured it out...have 3" risers so the full flow allows coolant travel from the manifold through the risers and to the the exchanger( or it flows opposite!)...raw water hose connect to the exhaust elbow so the closed gasket goes between the top of the riser and exhaust elbow so just the exit for the water coming out of the the exchanger .
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yah that's the ticket.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    I assume it flows from the manifold to the exchanger?
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    Thanks, I will look at this on the puter but puzzled it raw water comes out of the exchanger and then out the elbow?
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont over think it sir... Raw water comes in and routes through steering cooler and then exchange, then out the risers.  It doesnt hang around long at all.  

Make CERTAIN youre using correct gaskets.. Its easy to goof as there are so many to choose from.  Match numbers if necessary.  The manifold is CLOSED cooled, the riser is RAW.  You have dry joint manifolds, hence the two passages on either side of the square exhaust gas passage... Wet joints have passages built in aside the big square one.  The coolant FROM THE TOP of the MANIFOLD routes back to exchange as that is hottest it will be... The passage in the riser which in dry joints has a little cast pipe linking them via 90* elbow (or sometimes cast into mold) is plumbed to the OUT of the heat exchange.  That heated water from the exchange goes bye bye through the riser.  

The difference between half kit and full coolant kit is if the manifold is raw or fresh water cooled.  In a half kit the exchange routes to the manifold NOT the riser... In a full kit the manifold and riser use different cooling systems... One raw (risers) one fresh (manifolds)... This is where gaskets are super important.  The barrier between them is the gasket alone, or if youre smart you pony up for a stainless plate and either gasket both sides or use black rtv and make youre own sealing surface. 

If youre a full kit, I HIGHLY recommended that stainless plate.  
    wow, @212rowboat I'm not seeing it as you describe....I have a line from the riser that is coolant, I have the full flow gasket in between the riser and the manifold so coolant would come through the manifold, up through the riser and then to the heat exchanger....the water line goes to the elbow itself and apparently over board from there....unless that is what your saying above. I do not have any raw water going through the riser...above the riser is the blocked gasket...I did get aftermarket for the gaskets, not sure if they were stainless or not but everything is installed now so maybe I have to pull and check them in a couple of years..... 
    After looking at pics of your setup, you need to confirm whether you're full or half cooling kit... 

Does heat exchange OUT plumb to riser or manifold?  That simple... If it plumbs to manifold you have half kit... If it plumbs to riser only you have full kit.  

Full kits protect manifolds and make sacrifice of risers alone (which are cheap and easy to replace) where half kits sacrifice both risers and manifolds, but protect block, heads, and water pump just like full kits do.
    full kit! Which is what I wanted when purchased but did not realize at the time there was both.
    What I don't see on the diagram is the fitting in this picture- when I went to have the motor yanked, I forgot to pull the hose for the hot water heater....I don't recall pulling any hose off this fitting and I don't see any hoses on the motor to hook back up...what is this for??
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Has to be a return line 
    heater feed would be water, not coolant? They did pull a line off for the heater but I thought it was water for some reason which now does not make sense...the water is always friggin hot, I'll tell you that!
    If its connected to the pump, which it is, its coolant... The line of heated coolant runs to your heater and coils with water around it, heating it... Its an exchange too... Just like a water heater in your home, it uses element to heat water, but instead of natural gas/LP, or electricity, it uses heated coolant from engine... 
    guess it is...there are two lines disconnected go to the heater...I assumed any other heating other than the electric part would be done with water and not coolant. Mystery solved, except need to find the other connection but more pressing issues at the moment! Sure have learned a lot about this boat with all this stuff!
    OK, I have something screwed up here...on the plus side coolant does not appear to be going into the engine  as dip stick looks fine and the cylinders because it runs...but it is coming out through the exhaust with the water...what the heck did I screw up?
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    We're praying for you Ras.
    Paying a marine mechanic to do your job in two weeks correctly 
    Sorry lol
    correction..not coming out of the exhaust but with the water from the closed cooling....just for clarification...
    I suppose it's all the same...I blew out 60 bucks of antifreeze! I must have mixed up one of the hoses and blowing out water and antifreeze?
    Think I figured it out...dang it!
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe Just fill it water run it check for leaks then drain and fill with the antifreeze 
    OK, here is the deal...the only hoses I disconnected were the hoses for the riser and elbow. When I reconnected, I looked at the inside of the hoses and the "orangy" ones I thought were coolant and the "clean" looking hoses were water- turns out to be the opposite so I was blowing out the coolant and pushing water into the engine. So, I drained the manifolds but I could not break loose the block drains to get the water out of there. So the question would be, how much water is in the block? Can I add coolant that is not pre mixed to get to an acceptable ratio of coolant ? I would guess the manifolds had maybe a gallon of water in them...I have to get this boat out of in front of my house and get my Christmas on!
    Prob like 3 gallons 

On top of that add some coolant and what are you worried about freezing lol
    Do you have brass plugs or blue plastic?
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this the never ending project or what??
    plugs are metal near as I can tell....so Handy, getting bored of fixing an RV and a Dodge and coming back to visit? LOL, hope all is well...and I think I'm at the end of the project. Never ending interruptions, that's for sure.
    I will pull the main hose off the circulation pump and hopefully get most of the water out of the block and move forward. I have some wiring to tidy up and then I'm done at least with this saga....