Options

gaskets for riser and manifold...

2»

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ras be careful and get the right gaskets.  there are too any variations out there and it is extremely confusing- which is made more so by many online sellers not having pictures of the actual part.  if you're blocking a port that is supposed to be open or opening a port that is supposed to be blocked, you're going to have a problem, obviously... 

can you take a pic of your entire set up?  you should be feeding raw water either through the foot or a raw water pump- or sometimes both... it goes through your steering cooler along the port side of engine to the exchange... from there it goes where?  to your risers or to your manifolds (via 4 way)?  

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    212-the only hoses I pulled off were the hoses from the exchanger (raw water) and two from the thermostat housing to the riser- I for sure mixed them up and I think I am resolved. As far as the gaskets go, I have a picture of taking it apart and the bottom was full flow- I don't have a picture of what was between the riser and the elbow but would say obviously that if the bottom is full flow then the tops one has to be blocked off...

I'm going to pick up more coolant, and pull the main hose off the circulation pump and see if I can get more water out of the block and fill her up. Usually don't have to worry about freezing in the Orlando area and would think if I don't get 100% of the water out I will have an acceptable amount of coolant to keep if from freezing if it does get to freezing....and I can always drain out the mixture and refill again down the road to improve the mix. Could not get away with this up north but think I will be ok?
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Say what you want but we have Ford bucket trucks 6.7 constantly have problems and fifth wheels have no outdrives either. LOL
  • Options
    So, this may be finally coming to an end...well, never really ends. Anyway, put 3 gallons of coolant in and then could not find the radiator cap so I shut it down. I don't think it ran long enough for the thermostat to open. So, for the most part we are ready to go back in the water. I need to tidy up some wires and stuff, put the props back on and give it a bath. I sure have learned alot about my boat for sure- as a do over? Would be tuff. I am ready to get back on the water after Christmas sometime....thanks to everyone for the info and encouragement.
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    That will just get whatever is in the pump housing 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    You are correct Ras. It never ends. Get it fixed and SELL it. Then buy a motorhome .
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good morning Steve glad to see your feeling better. Ras glad to see you figered out those hoses out.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    I'll keep boating until I get to old and then buy the motor home! I just about have this vessel figured out!
  • Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I'll have to admit that even though I can figure out a service manual pretty well , the fresh water cool'ed systems on these mercs' are downright confusing at times (even when looking at that dang merc diagram which everyone and his uncle will post up when a question is asked). sorry.
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they're really over-thunked... 

water comes in, goes through steering cooler, then to exchange, then out EITHER the exhaust manifolds+risers or the risers alone... if they're plumbed from the exchanges exhaust to the exhaust manifolds it is a half system as the manifolds get raw water.. if they plumb only to the risers they are a full system as there is a gasket or plate between the manifolds and risers that disallows flow... 

the four way on the 'stat neck confuses things, and the splits in the lines on the coolant circuits exhaust from the exchange confuse matters... 

what really confuses matters is when folks overthink it... and it's easy to do.. 

to be king for a day, i would consider all the makers of the various systems on the market to provide red hoses, blue hoses, and green hoses.  cold, hot, and coolant.  while they're at it they can color match the risers and manifolds to the plumbing they need..... of course, there is another alternative that doesn't involve royalty- and that is green, blue, and red tape... wrap your hoses and where they connect with color coded tape before you disassemble........... to keep you from over thinking it.  

• Options
    It's one of those things that rarely would require service so why would you know unless your a trained mechanic. I just really screwed up and mixed the hoses- then I started the learning process! Like everything else with this project. Seems every nut and bolt required some research. Looking back, assuming I'm fixed, it was a great project. Nothing worse then riding down the river not really understanding anything below that hatch. Not a problem anymore!