Options

Are Express Crusiers going the way of the Dodo Bird?

TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
The admiral and I went to the Chicago Boat Show yesterday and a few observations:

1. Chicago used to have two major shows, the Boat Show at McCormick Place and a week or two later the Sail Show at Navy Pier. Mixed in with the boat show was a fairly big RV show on a lower level. Now all three are combined into one much smaller show covering a much, much smaller footprint on one floor of McCormick Place. 

2. The most interesting thing is the composition of the boats. Used to be mostly cruisers and yachts, but in recent years it is now majority pontoon and wake type vessels, as well as under 30' cuddy and open bows.

Definitely not Great Lakes / open water capable vessels.

3. I could count the number of classic cruisers (+30 LOA) on one hand. (If we didn't already have our Rinker 310 EC, the new Regal 33 Express would have definitely been on our list. It's sweet - and one of the few traditional cruisers at the show.) Most 30+ boats were either coupes with full glass windshields - or day boats with open bows and no cabin.

I think the only vendors there with +30 LOA traditional cruisers were Rinker, Regal, and Formula.

I like the wind in my face when boating, and the ability to throw/tie a line from the helm when needed - and I like a comfortable cabin below deck. And something that can handle Lake Michigan / open waters.

Am I now in the minority in the boating world? Anyone else feeling the same?

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most people can't afford new boats. What were the prices?
  • Options
    I'm not sure it was a matter of price. For example, prices for a 30' coupe was similar to a cruiser -- it's just that manufacturers seem to be going away from traditional cruiser design towards hybrids (totally enclosed cockpits) or open bows (no cabin).

As I noted above, I just can't see being in either a) an entirely enclosed cockpit or b) an open bow with no cabin.

I guess times are changing... 
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    as i sound like my dad = new prices on everything is flip n crazzzy.
    but as a pit boss n vegas once told me its all irrelevant .
    but 150k for a ski boat .. 300k + for a bow rider or cruiser.
    about the only thing i can afford new = my meds and hamburger 
  • Options
    @trip_n - I know! We saw some little RIB tenders at the show that cost more than we paid for our 25' 1994 Maxum crusier back in the day.
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    I was at the Pittsburgh boat show yesterday and was on a new Regal 260 cruiser. I wasn't impressed with the quality at all. Mainly the cutout around the cabin door. Rough edges and you could see the underside of the fiberglass helm when it was open. A nice piece of trim around that cutout would have made a huge improvement.

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Think the Dodo is an accurate comment. Dayboats of any type seem to rule now. Bringing your bed, bathroom and kitchen everywhere is passé. 
    Marketing will tell you that millennials are all about the ‘experience’. They don’t want to be tied to a certain activity.
    I think the cruiser lifestyle will always be there in some capacity. But it requires some real effort in organization & competency that most peeps today aren’t willing to dedicate themselves to.
    I’m sure the manufacturers are scratching their head.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    @TonyG13 you are right that toons are hot these days.   

I think it's because modern outboard motors have turned the boating world all catywampus.  In the past 15 years, what has changed in express cruisers?  Nothing.  What has changed in pontoon boats?  Everything!  They got faster and more reliable, which led to bigger boats with LOTS more amenities.  More expensive too, but they still beat ECs in terms of square feet per dollar -- IF the weather is calm.  

Will the surge in toon sales lead to more boaters that eventually "see the light" and convert to cruising hulls?  We'll see.  
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Friend had a pontoon boat with three (excuse my ignorance here ) "tubes". He had a 100 +/- HP on it. I saw some three footers ahead from a cruiser which he was heading for a 30+ mph and wondered if he was nuts. I braced myself but we sliced right through them with less of a bump that my big Rinker 360 would have taken....and was that thing fast! Locally I am seeing a lot of pontoons with twins and Axius - type set-ups that a number of OB manufacturers are offering standard. YES - boating is changing.
  • Options
    They are called Tunes MT and 3 tunes and twin OBs equal 100G
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pontoon's/ Tritoon's took over a couple/three years ago, fiberglass boats are slow to no sales in smaller lake's and rivers. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    they are getting bigger..faster....and ..stupid money
    the worst thing i see is they cut my bow constantly
    they zig zag the lake and when they decide to go ..they just steer that way.
    seems all i do is watch out for jet skis and pontoons
    getting infested on table rock
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pontoons took over after the recession. They were a cheap way to get on the water. Unfortunately due to popularity, the cost of them has gone through the roof. I was looking in the latest Boating Magazine and they had some that were over a $100k for a twin engine model. That is crazy considering 6-8 years ago you could get one for $30k.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    The pontoon I was on was on the St.Lawrence River in the 1000 Islands and it could take any wake that the big cruisers could. It was pretty impressive for the usable floor space, handling and ride through bad wakes.
  • Options
    Yea but cant sleep overnight
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    My friend has a toon ... loves raft-ups, hates that they can't spend the night.  I foresee a cabin boat in his future.  BTW they once cruised their toon 80 miles down the Potomac for a club event at Coles Point.  (Rented a cabin for the weekend.)

@TonyG13 here's another guess:  the glut of inventory in the used market is reducing demand for new boats.  
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Three 300's & a bar.....yaaahooo!

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mattie said:
    Three 300's & a bar.....yaaahooo!

That looks amazing, but the open bar would probably put me in jail, in Ontario.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I agree with most of the comments here but the real issue here is that trade shows in general are in trouble, and it is happening in every industry.  The internet provides many new ways to showcase your products and options. Trade show are generally very expensive & time consuming to the industries with litte return.  Manufactures are finding new and different ways to promote their product with far less money resources needed.
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @Wildboating - trade shows are expensive to get space, mobilize, staff and demobilize, especially for the boats we are talking about with a very hard to quantify payback over time. A small show here that is indoor and mainly bow riders and pontoons rings the bell for each sale but I am sure they're not getting more business than they'd have gotten through cheaper or better marketing - after all, those buying a boat at a boat show went there for that purpose, not many are call by's and "lets buy one while we're here honey" sales. A few years ago I went to the Newport RI show - quite impressive - that would have cost the manufacturers and reps a fortune to get the product there. Different money for sure but the product was also different. I will be at the NYC show the 26th so it will be interesting to see how that is - and no Rinker there.

You can sleep on a pontoon if you like to camp out, you can have a gen and run a small fridge for overnight keeping the beer cold if you want and of course have a porta potty head to dispose of grilled food and aforementioned beer. But I know what is a lot more convenient in my eyes for what I want from boating and it's not an open plan and deck vessel. I prefer to take a trip to NYC or out west with something a bit more convenient and comfortable, But a day out on the river or late with friends is a great day out too - as we do with other friends with non-cruisers.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    I agree with most of the comments here but the real issue here is that trade shows in general are in trouble, and it is happening in every industry.  The internet provides many new ways to showcase your products and options. Trade show are generally very expensive & time consuming to the industries with litte return.  Manufactures are finding new and different ways to promote their product with far less money resources needed.

I agree with this. I've spoken with our local Rinker dealer and they say that the Toronto Boat show really isn't worth it for them.  The cost of getting all those boats in and out, the cost of their staff for 10 days at the show ... for a few sales ... isn't worth it.

So one by one they pull out and then the show fails.

Plus I really think that disposable income is dropping like a tank, and the market share of big boats is shrinking ...

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    MarkB said:
    Plus I really think that disposable income is dropping like a tank, and the market share of big boats is shrinking ...
    And the prices are way out there. As @jhofmann said in another thread "I look at these new boats to see what I may be able to afford when their about 10 years old." is exactly what we go for -to see what I may be interested in about 10 years from now when the price is more reasonable.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pontoon I have has porta pottie, and grill, has full camper canvas, a V6 I/O front seats make's a bed. Have taken it on 100 mile day trip's. But I have not overnited yet, probably will not. last week I had to take my fishing boat to the shop. A local small boat dealer. used them for years off and on. In 2009 he almost when't bankrupt. At that time he said the only way to stay in business was to send back all fiberglass boat's to the factory. He survived. He commeted last year was his very best year ever, (He is 70) only selling pontoons, tritoon's and has a aluminum boat seaark brand, Pic below. Which is a large fishing boat or deck boat's model. He has not sold a fiberglass boat since 2009. He said average sale on tritoons was around $50k.  I  think you would have to travel 150 miles to find a dealer that sells a  cruiser. We do have a Rinker dealer, but he only stock's  open bow. That boat company is the oldest SR dealer in the country, again no cruiser's only open bow's.  

Boat Name : 

• Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to build an all-aluminum tritoon cruiser and be ahead of the power curve.
  • Options
    icoultha said:
    MarkB said:
    And the prices are way out there. As @jhofmann said in another thread "I look at these new boats to see what I may be able to afford when their about 10 years old." is exactly what we go for -to see what I may be interested in about 10 years from now when the price is more reasonable.

I go to see what rich people do ... lol. Toronto Boat show is fun, at least they have some 45' and 50' boats. Only time I'm legally able to board one. LOL.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I guy you may know from T.V. Mike Holmes from HGTV just bought and converted a small marina two doors down from our friends waterfront house on the St. Lawrence River in the 1000 Islands near Gananoque (where we keep our Waverunner). He just bought a cruiser a 52 foot Carver. I think they list for about 1.3 mil. THAT'S whose buying cruisers now!
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    Went to the Pittsburgh boat show Saturday and there were lots of pontoons and only a handful of cruisers. Have to admit the pontoons are very nice and I would consider one. There were some pretty nice ones in the $30k range. The one I really liked was a Barletto that was about $70k.
    My mother and step-father have a 22' pontoon they bought in June. It was their first boat and they keep it about a mile upriver from our marina. Theirs is about a 2006 but in very good shape. The just had a complete canvas enclosure made for it and are planning on sleeping on it this summer. They were pretty impressed with some of those pontoons too. Wouldn't surprise me to see them upgrade...lol
  • Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    Jet capsule UFO-2 houseboat. Never seen one in the flesh. Not absolutely sure it's in production. Absolutely sure I could not afford it anyway. Electric engines. Made in Italy.

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You just don’t see the express cruisers at shows. Expensive to haul and/or travel via water. That said you see the express cruiser morphing like you see with the Cruisers Cantius models. 

The pontoon boat has horribly limited days here on Lake Mich. Add in if you want to port hop even for a day, no head and limited elements exposure are not fun. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    trip_n said:
    For that kind of money, I would rather have a cruiser or a runabout. You can pick up a 270EX for the same price.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!