Options

Are Express Crusiers going the way of the Dodo Bird?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    icoultha said:
    Dream_Inn said:
    I always like it when evening comes, anchored in a favorite local spot.  Start up the grill, and before long, all the runabouts leave smelling my dinner! :)
    Your cooking that bad?  :#:smile:

It did kind of come out that way! :)  I was hoping they were leaving because of the great smell of the grill!  (but you never know)  I guess, either way, they are leaving and we get the place to ourselves for the night.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Alswagg said:
    Cruisers will make a huge rebound within the next 5-6 years.  
    To understand one reason why Al's statement is so true, hop over to boattrader.com.  Search used express cruisers built in the past 15 years listed for under $150k.  There are over 1500 listings just on this one web site.  It'll be tough for new boats to compete until the used market thins out a bit.  

BTW those 1500 listings include a really nice Rinker 420.  A 420!!  What would you rather have - a new 290, or a used 420 with $30k of leftover cash in your pocket?   
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    @LaRea, yes your comment about the 420 with 30K left certainly resonates ....but ....with the gas/diesel, insurance, dockage, storage and maintenance for that older 420 that 30K will evaporate the first year of ownership. I respectfully disagree with the long-term outlook for mid-sized cruisers  based on the mega attitude shift of the next generation. I think Rinker can and will profit far more from their boats sized EC310 and down.
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow MT you speak the truth all of a sudden!!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I want is a nice center console in FL, so I can go out an catch me a marlin for dinner! Ha.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    @Michael T - good point but it's partially offset by depreciation.  That new 290 will probably lose $25k of her value (15%) in the first year, but the 420 will lose maybe $6k.  
  • Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    MarkB said:
    All I want is a nice center console in FL, so I can go out an catch me a marlin for dinner! Ha.
    I have some friends that moved from Cincy, OH to Cape Coral, FL and took their 330 FV with them. They are trying to sell it now so they can get a center console. They bought a house on a canal so they don't overnight on the boat anymore...all about how life changes what boat you need/want.
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Well some toons do have head but that’s about it

transport of bigger vessels is a true statement 
    local runs from port to a show is what it’s coming to 
  • Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    Our 2006 FV 270 was a bargain at under 30k. We can take it to near shore destinations like Martha’s Vineyard or Block Island, sleep on it, cook, bring friends and entertain. With just a single engine it doesn’t break the bank to fill her up either. Can’t tell you how much fun we have had with it. We overnight often, sometimes on the hook and sometimes in slips. It expanded our boating exponentially versus the 22 footer we replaced. Until I move to a fast trawler (for a LOT more money), the 270 does everything we need.  No pontoon would like it in the Block Island sound most days. 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    luvinlife said:
    Our 2006 FV 270 was a bargain at under 30k. We can take it to near shore destinations like Martha’s Vineyard or Block Island, sleep on it, cook, bring friends and entertain. With just a single engine it doesn’t break the bank to fill her up either. Can’t tell you how much fun we have had with it. We overnight often, sometimes on the hook and sometimes in slips. It expanded our boating exponentially versus the 22 footer we replaced. Until I move to a fast trawler (for a LOT more money), the 270 does everything we need.  No pontoon would like it in the Block Island sound most days. 
    I would totally agree you.
    I have had 6 people in the cabin on my 342 on a rainy day do that on a pontoon. Oh and take a shower cook breakfast and dance a little.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I don't think cruisers will be extinct like the Dodo, just less popular as tastes and needs change. This trend is similar to what we are seeing in the automotive industry
    with sedans sales suffering in favor of crossovers/SUVs.

Andy
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So our cruizers will go up in value with less production or go down because no one wants them?????
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Production on mid level cruisers has been down for a few years anyway. There will always be a market for them, maybe just not growing as fast as the market for the dweebs that just want to pose, or roar around the water annoying everyone and going home the same day. (jeez, did my feelings on the matter just show?).
    My opinion is that a well looked after cruiser will always hold value. It's not an investment, I wouldn't expect it to go up, and you have to also consider the value of your use and enjoyment. Considering what I paid for my 2000 that only had 235 hours on it when I bought it, and the great shape it is generally in, I would expect that it might depreciate 5% a year, but that's the value of the use to me. I don't expect it to be worthless anytime soon.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now, having said all that, here is an example of (evolution?). A 45 foot ocean rated boat with outboards and open front deck with cabin below amidships. Looks like they're positioning it as the ultimate diving/entertaining platform.

https://oceanalexander.com/yachts/45-divergence-diving/
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    The 1400 horsepower sounds like a lot, but it's actually less horsepower per pound than my Rinker 370.  And because there's no swim platform, they have to add those funky side openings.  

When they say it has "the comforts of a yacht," there might be a little bit of marketing going on there.  But it is definitely a nice boat.  Probably pushing the $1M mark.  
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭✭
    As I mentioned in my earlier post a 40’ bow rider for $768k list? Not sure where their market intel comes from that seems these are the next gen of day boats. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    rasbury said:
    https://www.boattest.com/review/boston-whaler/3854_380-realm for 780 grand...I just can't imagine....

That's just ridiculous!  I couldn't imagine paying that for what is basically a day/fishing boat!

A dock neighbor has the 37' Grady White with all options.  Sure is a beauty, but I know it was well over the $500k mark.  I will say, he does use it all but maybe 2 months of the year.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Just because they list it for $780k doesn't mean anybody will buy it.  
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭✭
    True. But at half the price I'd not buy either of them.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    rasbury said:
    So our cruizers will go up in value with less production or go down because no one wants them?????

Depends on what the supply/demand looks like any given time. I think cruiser demand will stay in tact.  If they stop making them, the used boat market will obviously become hot to meet demand.  So I'd say it's a good thing for a boat owner, not a good thing for a buyer.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Willhound said:
    Now, having said all that, here is an example of (evolution?). A 45 foot ocean rated boat with outboards and open front deck with cabin below amidships. Looks like they're positioning it as the ultimate diving/entertaining platform.

https://oceanalexander.com/yachts/45-divergence-diving/

That looks beautiful!!!

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    rasbury said:
    https://www.boattest.com/review/boston-whaler/3854_380-realm for 780 grand...I just can't imagine....

Woaw!  Boston Whaler ... cream of the crop ... but that's a hefty price tag!

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I saw that Ocean Alexander ( might have been the same boat test email) and while VERY nice, it's still a day boat right? Your not going to pack the family down there and sleep for the weekend and I can only guess the price of that.

It's pretty scary ( a good thing though I suppose, just wish I could get in on it!) that there is that much money in some peoples hands that they can justify spending that kind of money on those types (or any type) of boat...I know I have stretched my budget with what I have but 750 grand? 
  • Options
    Ras, it'll make a nice tender for your yacht when you hit all six numbers on Powerball.
  • Options
    That's the spirit!