Options

bring 342 back to life

Comments

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    In the ny area could be anything telephone pole maybe a tire with the rim and yea that’s flying for night time 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my 270 doesn't do over 38 :( 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW, thank God you guys all okay. That's a big hit!

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    javhavjavhav Member Posts: 420 ✭✭✭
    @LaRea @Liberty44140 I was thinking of putting a radar  but I'm leaning  more towards a flir setup
  • Options
    @RiverRat232 no I didn't do an insurance claim I really didn't want to go through the hassle plus I had some extra parts laying around the cost should super low I'm in about 1500 so far I don't think I need anything more 
  • Options
    @J3ff what setup do u have on your 270
  • Options
    @MarkB thanks I appreciate someone was definitely looking after me
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    Thermal cameras are nice, but it's not a substitute for radar.  It's for finding stuff in a crowded harbor at no-wake speeds.  

For obstacle avoidance at cruising speed, you need at least 5-10 seconds advance notice.  At 30 mph, that's 75-150 meters.  A camera bouncing around at 30 mph won't see jack at those distances, even if you're staring at the display the whole time.  (Unless you want to drop $20k for the M364C ...)

On radar, a buoy like the one you probably hit will be seen at least a minute before you get there, and you'll know exactly where it is relative to the channel and other objects. 

Heck, if the water is flat enough, my radar will see crab pots from a few hundred meters away. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Flir and Radar could definitely not replace each other, but as I said I’ve used one and it was newer, going 30-35 on a 28 ft center console and bouncing around was no problem. It stabilized itself very nicely and waves or wake were a non issue. Never even thought of it. Now this was not in a crowded area. Wider open bay where there were a half dozen boats in both directions and channel markers, but we saw everything with more than enough time to adjust course and again the technology put a pretty box around everything that came our way.... boats, birds and marks. 9” screen. His system was brand new in 2019. I’d be very comfortable using this for a lot more than pulling in to a harbor at idle. But then again we have a 2019 HD open array on a 12” screen that works awesome and I still won’t trade anything for the admirals keen eye, and a heavy dose of caution on the throttles
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Well said Liberty!

I'm a RADAR kind of guy (especially at my day job - although I've operated some pretty cool & expensive FLIRs too), so I agree with LaRea on it's use and ability.  I know I have mine adjusted correctly when I can see my V-wake behind my boat on my RADAR screen.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    @LaRea to be honest with you I really don't know how a radar works all I know is that you can see other vessels around you that's about it 
  • Options
    Modern marine radar will place an overlay right on top of your chart display.  Anything that reflects radar energy will show up as a little purple blob on the chart -- boats, shoreline, bridges, buoys and other things you don't want to hit.  

It's mostly automatic, although sometimes you can tweak the settings to get slightly better performance.

If you run the radar any time you get underway day or night, your brain gets pretty good at interpreting the images without having to think about it.

4 Key Pre-Season Equipment Checks For Your Boat
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    My guess is that at the speed javhav was going, with probably other stuff going on in the boat, even with radar or flir, he would have never seen or noticed  what was coming ahead.
    I certainly don't want to pass judgement on javhav as I don't know the specifics but going 46 mph at night, you're just asking for trouble.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    radar won't pick up anything floating like a log or tire 
  • Options
    Radar will see logs or tires unless they are completely submerged.  If the water is flat, radar will see any object that sticks up more than a few inches above the surface.  If the water is choppy, small objects can get lost in the surface clutter.  
  • Options
    Other benefits: 

Radar can see through fog and rain.  (How far depends on the power of the radar.)

With radar, you can watch and track rain storms from many miles away.  A rain storm shows up as a big "blob" on the screen.  You can tell exactly where it's raining, and which direction the storm is moving.  Most people have weather apps on their phones, but phones don't always get good reception when and where you need it.  

If you like to fish, radar can find flocks of birds circling above a school of fish.
  • Options
    I just had an interesting phone conversation with @javhav about marine radar and a whole bunch of other boat topics.  Very nice to connect with you, my friend!  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought @javhav only associated with women. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    We’ve never seen a pic of LaRae? 😉

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    I’ve heard @LaRea has got great legs but based on the videos I think @javhav is more of an a$$ man. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Selfie attached.  Muhuhuhahahahaha

• Options
    Too funny

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Are you sure you know what you're asking for? :smile:

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trust me, you don’t want to see the real thing. 
  • Options
    Lol, can’t be worse than Dr Evil

• Options
    edited April 2021
    🙃
    Post edited by javhav on
  • Options
    cls10105cls10105 Member Posts: 352 ✭✭
    Wow! How does that movie go build they will come! Your work is unbelievable buddy and so are your friends. I need that floor among other things. Lol
    cruising on 6. tw0s
  • Options
    This weekend replaced y pipe
  • Options
    Hull repaired 
  • Options
    Now it's time to respray