Options

Docking ropes!

I want to get new rope for my 96 Fiesta Vee 300. I will be ordering in bulk. What size do you guys recommend? What is the largest these cletes will allow? One more question: what is the difference between nylon braided you get at a local supply store and nylon marine rope? Thank you in advance for your input.

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd think at a minimum the dock rope has more protection from the sun...it does have a much different feel to it and I'm sure must be stronger....you have some weight there getting bounced around .
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    I'd go with half-inch double-braided.  You don't need 5/8".  Double-braided is easier to handle and tie than the cheap stuff.  
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Line, not rope. Just saying. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭

Double-braided as LaRea noted above. 1/2" is lots.

Docking lines are 2/3rds boat length, spring lines = 1 boat length.

West Marine: 1/8" of line diameter for every 9' of boat length. Larger lines will wear longer but stretch less.

Boat LengthUp to 27' 28'-31'  32'-36'  37'-45'  46'-54'
    Dock Line Dia.      3/8"      7/16"     1/2"    5/8"     3/4"
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    PitterPatterPitterPatter Member Posts: 23
    Thank you, I found this very helpful!
  • Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    soda or pop.....same $hit lol
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW love snubbers. If properly set-up greatly reduce stress on boat's hull and cleats AND make for much smoother "ride" in the slip.

I used snubbers on ALL lines mooring and spring.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    soda or pop.....same $hit lol

What is a rope? What is a line? What is the difference? Many boaters think that these two words are interchangeable--that a rope is a line and a line is a rope. This is not true.

Rope is unemployed cordage. In other words, when it is in a coil and has not been assigned a job, it is just a rope.

On the other hand, when you prepare a rope for a specific task, it becomes employed and is a line. The line is labeled by the job it performs; for example, anchor line, dock line, fender line, etc.

For more information on ropes and lines, see our "Making Ropes Into Lines" e-Lesson. Learn how ropes are made, the different types of rope, what size and length to use for which lines on your boat, how to care for them, when to replace, how to prepare lines with eye-splicing, whipping and backsplicing, and much more is covered in the e-Lesson.............. Just say'n........LOL

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com