Options

Rinker Rookie

I’m in the process of buying a ‘03 290 Fiesta Vee. I’m new to Rinkers as my previous boat was a ‘87 Sea Ray Sundancer 270.
Just curious as to other boaters preferences, pros and cons or if there is anything specific to Rinkers that first time owners should be aware of. Thanks for any input you have to share.

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard!

What you'll discover about Rinkers is that you get more bang for the buck.  The only downside I can share is that the standard engines are sometimes a little too light for the boat.  Otherwise I think you'll find your 290 to be a nice boat.

Best of luck and feel free to ask questions here.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Paul, welcome to the forum!  We are a great Rinker family here that will help you out.  I believe a lot of them came with the 5.0 MPI with twin B-3 drives.  That should be a nice combination for that size boat.  It also had a cockpit layout similar to that of an older 310 as well.  Which was quite nice (I had a 2002 310 for a while).  That size is the smallest one with twin engines.  So, depending on how you look at it, that can be a good thing.  Some would say they want the 270 or 280 with a single engine for less maintenance.  I'll stay off that debate since you are only talking 290.  I think it's a great choice and have been on a few of them over the years.  Seem to be a great boat!  One of the common issues with those years of Rinkers is paint chipping and possible cracking in the arch.  It's something fixable, but worth noting.  Options were probably the arch, generator, and motor sizes as well as fresh or raw water cooled.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Hey Paul!
    what did you do to the 270
    sink her lol
    i am that cold beer Dave Neighbor that always worked on his boat lol.

• Options
    PaulZ00PaulZ00 Member Posts: 19
    Mike!! Where you been, Stanger?
    The 270s still around. Putting up for sale this week.
    It was just time for something a little newer and a little bigger. Dave is also in the process of getting a Rinker of his own. We’re still at Miller. Make sure to come by and have a beer with us!
  • Options
    Will do!
    what is Dave getting a 400 lol
  • Options
    Well a new house 
    2 kids and no time to play on the water 

my brother in law keeps his boat at belle mare
    but we are still few years away from getting back into it
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont Do it guys!!!  LOL
  • Options
    But to answer your question Paul
    Yes 290 is a nice boat just let me know what engine package it has etc
    rinkers are built solid  
  • Options
  • Options
    Twin 4.3 fuel injected will be perfect trust me.
    new 290
    are single engines now 

looks good and has low
    hours.
    get a survey and make sure canvas is in good shape.

only thing missing is a gen but that’s up to you guys.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a clean boat...39900...how many hours on it? Might have been on the site...I just could not do two motors on an older boat that would fit my budget...and from what I have been through glad I did not! One is all I can get my arms around....love the layout on this boat, what a difference between a 270 and a 290.....
  • Options
    Ras
    your boat was a victim. Old
    owner didn't treat her right or had a joe mo work on her 
    twins is the way to go specially on a 10 plus ft beam
  • Options
    I remember that boat from beacon cove days
    nice and clean 
  • Options
    Zav, survey completed last week. Only real issues were a couple cracks in Isinglass (which current owner is replacing) and a worn steering wheel.
    Sea Trial set for the 20th out of Beacon Cove.
    Never had a generator before so I don’t really know what they do. Do I need one in your opinion?
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with the purchase. You’ll have enough room on there to store a portable generator if you feel you need one.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The genny would be nice if you want to run the air or heat while anchored out. But a decent portable could also if the right size.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    What will said. Gen is nice if you want to cool off the boat when anchored, charge batteries or have 110 power period.
    you can always buy a portable Honda gen and leave it on the Swimplatform while tucked in for the night if that’s what you want to go.
    wheel can be purchased online and it’s not a big deal. Wilson marine I believe took over for hideaway as a Rinker dealer.
  • Options
    You guys are awesome. Love this forum.
    Truly appreciate everyone’s input.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Let me know when it's time for your Vessel Safety Check.  I'm just up the road from Beacon Cove.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Luck! It is nice to see a vessel that has been taken care of....I thought on mine if he did not do nothing to it, it only had 100 hours on it so how bad could it be?
  • Options
    Stodge with all due respect besides checking off the required list of safety equipment that sticker does nothing lol
    i always religiously got inspected by Aux and one year got boarded by the actual coast guard.
    they laughed at me and the sticker. Once they completed the real deal inspection they said now you have a form that will prevent another coast guard safety check during this season.

• Options
    So in other words 
    it’s nice knowing you have all the proper gear but sticker can be given to you by your aux buddy let’s say.
    so at the end of the day coast will
    board regardless.
  • Options
    What?!? This is the biggest revelation of all.
    I’ve only been boarded once and that was before I even knew about the sticker. Since then, I get it first thing every year and won’t go out until I have it.
    And it’s all a ruse? I feel like somebody just told the Easter Bunny isn’t real.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Zav, you're talking nonsense.  The purpose of a VSC is not to keep you from being boarded.  The purpose is to have your safety equipment reviewed by another set of eyes to make sure you didn't overlook anything.  
  • Options
    What’s the point of the boat us sticker? Oh...
    to let coast guard know your vessel has been inspected but Coast guard doesn’t care about the sticker at all.
    if you want official inspection go
    to a coat guard organized safety inspection.
    you can download a pamphlet with all the required safety equipment you need to have on board.
    trust me I would schedule a aux boat inspection first thing in the spring but from the time I got boarded I started going to coast guard for inspections
  • Options
    So ummm.. anyway...
    Stodge, I very much appreciate your offer. I’ll be sure to take you up on the offer when it’s time.
    Thank you.
    Can we talk about gas tanks for a min?
    There’s been some conflicting reports whether or not this boat has 1 150 gallon gas tank or 2 75 gallon tanks.
    Is having two separate tanks an issue as it pertains to ease and convience? I would think one tank would be preferable when you’re juicing it up, but what do I know?
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    @zaverin1 - Here on the southern end of Lake Michigan, all things being equal, if a Coastie is eyeing two boats - one with and one without a VSC decal - they will pull over and inspect the one without the decal...
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    I'd rather have two tanks.  If one tank gets contaminated, you can open the crossover valve and use the good tank.  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with LaRae, for twins I’d want 2 tanks. Being able to cross over is nice, but you also have piece of mind that your engines are completely separate. Buddy of mine has twin 8.2s in his crownline with a single 250 gal tank. He had water in the tank so he lost both engines trying to come home and had to be towed 15 miles. If he’d had two tanks he could have come home slowly on one engine. Was very scary, almost hit rocks after they died and finally got anchor set. You want two tanks for those twins!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)