Options

Rinker Rookie

2»

Comments

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Paul
    it’s easy two figure out once you are in the engine compartment or call dealer
    my Rinker has two separate tanks that could be bridged
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Tony they either look for law breakers or do random boardings to keep people
    safe 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    I had always thought twins typically have two fuel tanks.  If I had the choice, two is always the way to go, for reason already mentioned.  Also, with two tanks, they can usually put them more out of the way to allow more mid-cabin space.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    zaverin1 said:
    Stodge with all due respect besides checking off the required list of safety equipment that sticker does nothing lol
    i always religiously got inspected by Aux and one year got boarded by the actual coast guard.
    they laughed at me and the sticker. Once they completed the real deal inspection they said now you have a form that will prevent another coast guard safety check during this season.

You're thinking of the sticker all wrong.  It does not prevent boarding. In many cases the sherriff and DNR will ignore a stickered boat in favor of one without one.  But if they have probable cause that all goes out the window.

The Coast Guard can board any boat in US water at any time for any reason, or no reason.  

The intent of the Vessel Safety Check is to go through the list of things that the Coast Guard will look for and ticket you for if you are out of compliance, verify that you have or are aware of required safety equipment, and as a form of education for the boater.  You'd be amazed how many people don't know about the fire extinguisher recall for example, or did't know their port side nav light was burned out.  If you pass a VSC, then assuming you have made no changes you'll pass a boarding.

I had a request to do a VSC after a fishing boat got a $115 ticket for not having throw-able PFD (type 4 "seat cushion").  I did an inspection for him and the passing form got his fine waived.

Worst case, look over the inspection form (http://forms.cgaux.org/archive/a7012.pdf) and do your own check.  Left side of page 1 is the required items.  The back is an explanation of all the required items.  Be aware that your state may have additional or stricter requirements than the federal standards.

Have a safe boating season.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    PaulZ00 said:
    So ummm.. anyway...
    Stodge, I very much appreciate your offer. I’ll be sure to take you up on the offer when it’s time.
    Thank you.
    Can we talk about gas tanks for a min?
    There’s been some conflicting reports whether or not this boat has 1 150 gallon gas tank or 2 75 gallon tanks.
    Is having two separate tanks an issue as it pertains to ease and convience? I would think one tank would be preferable when you’re juicing it up, but what do I know?
    Normally if you have 2 tanks, you can direct the engines to each use "their" tank or use 1 tank to feed both.  This can be handy if you get water in 1 tank, or the gauges are off and 1 goes dry while the other still has gas.

My old 280 had twin tanks and engines.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what my surveyor and others have told me ... they are good hulls and rarely have gelcoat problems (not 100%, but then I'm not sure if any boat is). Even heard that SeaRay has far more problems.

Definitely good value for money, and with a robust hull, I think you are good.

The issue is always whether there has been good maintenance of the systems. The engines, water pumps, piping, receptacles, radio, etc.  are all the same as on any other boat. So if they aren't maintained on a Cobalt or a Rinker ... same outcome ... lots of time and money to fix.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"