Options

Manifolds and Risers

RansnanRansnan Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
Getting ready to replace the manifold and risers on our 5.7 Horizons any recommendations, is one kind better than another?

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Get OEM
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manifolds? You said Horizon salt water should not effect them?
    Get a couple pieces of threaded rod to put them on . put 2 rods in the head slide the manifold on then start 2 of the bolts and take out the rods for the other 2 bolts. that way your not trying to hold it up and get the bolts started.
    Used some after market ones with a friend a couple years ago and the socket for the spark plug would not fit on.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Thanks, i didnt know if there was something better than OEM or not
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did after market elbows..fresh water cooled so no need to change manifold and the risers were good to. They elbows were half the cost..just can't find where I got them ..
  • Options
    Rasbury, mine is fresh water cooled as well, when i tried to put it in 2 weeks ago, i couldn't get the port motor started, ended up needing a new starter, the Marina said they would install me a new one, got a call from them , was told i had antifreeze in one side of the cylinders. Was told for 2k they would replace the risers and manifolds, i told them i would do it myself and here i am looking for information 
  • Options
    I am absolutely no expert on this for sure- but and I'm not sure we are on the same page...I have a closed cooling system which means I have no water going through the manifold-only coolant throughout the motor itself. My raw water only cools my power steering cooler, and my heat exchanger. I don't have the cool fuel module either. So I have about the simplest cooling system over the complicated ones on newer motors and I'm just fine with that. So my manifolds really don't get the abuse- only the risers and the elbows where the raw water goes into the exhaust. I was amazed that the elbows were in as bad a shape as they were but the risers were OK- maybe it's the water mixing right there at the elbow or something. I can try to find the ones I bought as again, even if I had to buy the risers and manifolds with the elbows, they would have been half the price. They were highly recommended to me- all the holes for mounting stuff were in the same spot etc. Good quality work from China.
  • Options
    Fredwarner1.net is where I bought my stuff no problem...