Options

A new MerCruiser rocker/oil problem, and a related question:

13»

Comments

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    “Your service manager said”  and “”the marina is the largest in the area” tell me you are not looking at this logically. This guy has a vested interest in you believing him because someone is going to pay to fix it - by your closing comment - you.

Did YOU actually see the oil at the rockers with covers off? How do you know? I am no mechanic but I’d be asking to see the proof also, I can see oil there without being a mechanic.

Because he’s the biggest, he’s not necessarily the best - and often biggest is far from best. If they are the biggest, go to the next guy down with Merc trained techs.

Seems you are looking for someone here to give you the answer you want to hear....

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    I cant see this being a fuel issue. I agree it looks like a oiling issue cause those rockers are blued up from heat. Or the valve train is messed up. Again.. pull the heads and have a look to see whats wrong. I would also do a leak down on the engine first as well. To see if the non oiling damage was only top related or is in the lower block as well. You could pull the Cam as well, and check the lobes for scarring and blueing as well. And 100% check the push rods. Super easy to do.
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    And pull the plugs and see how they are looking.. mark each one..so you know what each cylinder is doing. Thats the easiest thing to do , along with pulling the push rods.
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    JodijoeJodijoe Member Posts: 56
    icoultha said:
    “Your service manager said”  and “”the marina is the largest in the area” tell me you are not looking at this logically. This guy has a vested interest in you believing him because someone is going to pay to fix it - by your closing comment - you.

Did YOU actually see the oil at the rockers with covers off? How do you know? I am no mechanic but I’d be asking to see the proof also, I can see oil there without being a mechanic.

Because he’s the biggest, he’s not necessarily the best - and often biggest is far from best. If they are the biggest, go to the next guy down with Merc trained techs.

Seems you are looking for someone here to give you the answer you want to hear....
    I'm open to suggestions. The reality is that I dock in a river with current, wind, and 8 weeks experience pulling in and out of a slip with this 40' using mostly Axius, which of course doesn't work with only 1 engine. It's not so easy to just go somewhere else without the stress of possible fiberglass damage to mine or other boats. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may find a tech that makes house calls. Do a search in your area.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Or get a tow. Or a dinghy and a few friends and a late night adventure.
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id be very curious and want to pull the heads if indeed the engine is getting substantial oil.  Look for possible valve guide issues although a sticking valve should result in a bent push rod just as water intrusion should.   Change all the rocker arms if you see substantial oil in the rocker arm valley then run her hard.  If she does it afain call a tow and have the heads pulled.  Id also want to install a temp secondary oil gauge just to verify my oil pressure reading on both motors is correct. Same with water temp.  
  • Options
    Update: my service manager said the Merc rep never inspected my boat, and that he changed all my rockers and push rods in my port engine, but the Merc rockers are on backorder so he could only buy enough to switch the port rockers, but not the starboard rockers! Merc Rockers on backorder? Hmm. Sounds like a smoking gun. Who wants to bet to see if they man up? 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    I bet one dollar US that you'll never pin this on any sort of recall or manufacturing defect.  The reason nobody keeps 32 rockers sitting around on the shelf is that people never buy them because failures are rare.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could of did something like this and picked up a little more HP. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Dude 
    yes get racing rockers and yes merc builds engines but they don’t need 30 plus anything sitting in a world or lean manufacturing and inventory 
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Better yet involve your insurance company and tell them you overheated and get a new motor 
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    I bet one dollar US that you'll never pin this on any sort of recall or manufacturing defect.  The reason nobody keeps 32 rockers sitting around on the shelf is that people never buy them because failures are rare.
    Yep. Roller rockers, like ones posted fail. Stamped rockers do not fail. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    @Jodijoe -- Look, I understand that you'd love to find evidence and opinions to support your case that the damage is not your responsibility.  Based on what you've said here on the Rinker forum, my opinion is that your case is weak.  I think the damage likely resulted from abuse and/or neglect by a previous owner.  I definitely could be wrong ... I'm no expert, and I don't have first-hand knowledge.  But I bet you a dollar I'm right.   

When I win the bet, I'll donate the dollar towards your first frosty cold beverage of the evening, because you'll need more than one!
  • Options
    Could of did something like this and picked up a little more HP. 
    Fastback69 said roller rockers might break apart and put fragments through the engine.
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    @Jodijoe -- Look, I understand that you'd love to find evidence and opinions to support your case that the damage is not your responsibility.  Based on what you've said here on the Rinker forum, my opinion is that your case is weak.  I think the damage likely resulted from abuse and/or neglect by a previous owner.  I definitely could be wrong ... I'm no expert, and I don't have first-hand knowledge.  But I bet you a dollar I'm right.   

When I win the bet, I'll donate the dollar towards your first frosty cold beverage of the evening, because you'll need more than one!

Fair enough. You're probably right. I'll quit venting and take my medicine for buying a used boat. 

The port engine did overheat on my maiden voyage last year due to a blown impeller. My captain shut her down quickly.

Thank you everyone for your help. I'll be back needing new advice if the new Merc rockers split. 
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Take ot easy on the man.  He was blindsided. Happens to the best of us. 

What lies behind you aint tour fortune. 

Depending on your heads there are 3/8 and 7/16 studs that hold the rockers. Even within vortec they vary. Be certain.  Rollers eliminate or reduce parasitic loss of power and are good for as much as 10hp depending on your lift ratio,  but.... That cam in that mercruiser engine is specific.  I wouldnt play with it ..eitywr match ratio or retain the stamped rocker which you can get at dam near any chevy dealer or parts store with no difference... The part of the curve where rollers will assist is limited and about without worth except for the parasitic loss.  Exchanging the ratio is a crap shoot. Let us know... It may be worth it to is too .
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    Take ot easy on the man.  He was blindsided. Happens to the best of us. 

What lies behind you aint tour fortune. 

Depending on your heads there are 3/8 and 7/16 studs that hold the rockers. Even within vortec they vary. Be certain.  Rollers eliminate or reduce parasitic loss of power and are good for as much as 10hp depending on your lift ratio,  but.... That cam in that mercruiser engine is specific.  I wouldnt play with it ..eitywr match ratio or retain the stamped rocker which you can get at dam near any chevy dealer or parts store with no difference... The part of the curve where rollers will assist is limited and about without worth except for the parasitic loss.  Exchanging the ratio is a crap shoot. Let us know... It may be worth it to is too .

All Port rockers have been changed with Merc rockers. All Starboard rockers will be changed once they are delivered. Not sure why my service manager didn't use Gm rockers. I plan to take her out for a ride tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. Thank you!